How does refund ticket work?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 20, 2020
We were originally planning on going to Athens beginning of July. Due to pandemic we wanted to cancel our trip. WE waited for American Airlines to waive the trip cancellation charge before we did anything. Our ticket was non-refundable. It is my understanding if they cancel trip or change you can get refund not credit on a non-refundable ticket. I searched for our original non-stop flight (AA160 and AA161) and could no longer find it available. WE were not notified they cancelled it but assume they did since it is no longer offered. Since they waived cancellation fee and we could no longer find the flight we requested a refund. They only issued credit. HOw do we get the refund and not the credit as this ticket was very expensive and we are no longer planning on going to Athens.
My other question is with regards to refund. If we cannot get the refund and have to take the credit, how does it work? Do we have to rebook same trip or can we get another one? What happens if value of next trip is less than this ticket? Is the money in an account to be used by us until it is gone, similar to southwest Airlines?

Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for that information but I need help getting my refund. I already submitted for the refund per that site and it was ignored and only give a credit. If I absolutely can only get a credit I would like to know can I book several other trips adding up to the value of my credit? Or do I have to book same trip and if ticket is more they charge me, but they do not address if ticket is less? Any help on this much appreciated.
Also trying to figure out what happen to my flights AA160 and AA161 they are no longer offered which is why I wanted the refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You needed to wait for AA to cancel the flight. You would have received an email if they canceled and it’s way too early for that. You canceled it instead of waiting so you aren’t due a refund, only a credit with no cancellation fees.

You couldn’t find it because they are not selling any more tickets in case in preparation for that so they don’t have to provide more refunds if they do have to cancel. I’m afraid you jumped the gun - the article weihlac posted will tell you why you are only getting a credit.

Reactions: Skippy

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Unfortunately, as @Neil Maley stated, you cancelled, they did not. Looking for the flight is not the same as calling the airline to confirm the flight was cancelled. It doesn't matter what happened to your flights when you try to 'buy' it by looking on the website. What only matters is what happened to your reservation. The good news is you have a credit to use to any destination without any change fee and have until some time in 2022 to use it.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Apr 20, 2020
If that is the case how does the credit work. For Southwest it goes into your own travel fund and you can use it on various tickets as you book them. Is American's credit similar to that? Or can I only rebook the same destination? If I book same destination, if ticket is more they charge me the difference, but it never states what happens when it is less expensive?

Jun 24, 2019
If that is the case how does the credit work. For Southwest it goes into your own travel fund and you can use it on various tickets as you book them. Is American's credit similar to that? Or can I only rebook the same destination? If I book same destination, if ticket is more they charge me the difference, but it never states what happens when it is less expensive?
The terms of the refund credit may specify, but each time I’ve had a credit it was simply funds I could apply to any new ticket st the current posted price. That’s always so at southwest and has been my experience with American and delta.

Reactions: jsn55
Apr 20, 2020
Just spoke with American directly, Zachary today at 4:10 PM. He told me I have until end of Dec 2021 to use te refund. I can book anywhere I want and it does not need to be same as original ticket. If the new flight is less than the credit, then they will refund to my original card the difference or give me additional credit. It is my choice. He said most people take the refund not the credit. He was very helpful and hopefully all goes as he stated.

Reactions: Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It goes into a credit under your reservation number and if the new ticket costs more than the old ticket, yes, you have to pay the price difference. You can book a new ticket to any destination.

This is no different than the cruise lines canceling cruises and offering 125% credits. If the amount of the new cruise is higher, you have to pay the difference.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Just spoke with American directly, Zachary today at 4:10 PM. He told me I have until end of Dec 2021 to use te refund. I can book anywhere I want and it does not need to be same as original ticket. If the new flight is less than the credit, then they will refund to my original card the difference or give me additional credit. It is my choice. He said most people take the refund not the credit. He was very helpful and hopefully all goes as he stated.
Excellent news, I don't think that I'd be going to Athens in the foreseeable future either. So it's good that you can use those funds to book a tix anywhere AA flies. Important to note that if a search using your confirmation number doesn't turn up your res, the flight probably was cancelled by the airline. They can be kinda tricky communicating, hoping that most of the pax with canclled flighs will accept a credit insted of insisting on a refund. Can't say that I blame them, it's just good business. Please use the airline's website to read all about how your credit will work so there aren't any ugly surprises in your future.