How do I get my money back for this? (and show others what really happens on these cruises)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 24, 2018
I WANTED TO TELL HOW AWFUL MY 1ST CRUISE WAS. IT WAS THE CRUISE TO NOWHERE & TO HELL. FIRST MY TRIP TO BERMUDA WAS CANCELLED FOR APPARENTLY NO REASON. I HAVE HEARD FROM OTHERS ON OTHER CRUISE STILL WENT TO BERMUDA.INSTEAD WE WENT TO PORT CANAVERAL,YOUR PRIVATE ISLAND & THE WE WERE TO SUPPOSED TO GO TO NASSAU.

THE ONLY THING I WANTED TO DO WAS SWIM WITH THE DOLPHINS WHICH OF COURSE WAS CANCELLED. BERMUDA WAS ALSO BOOKED FOR SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS. PLEASE REFUND FOR TO BOOKINGS. I WANTED SO DESPERATELY TO GET THIS OFF MY BUCKET LIST AS I AM 75 YEARS OLD.

THE FIRST DAY ON THE SHIP THERE WAS A FIRE DRILL. WHILE TRYING TO GET TO DRILL I FELL TRYING TO GO THERE I FELL & INJURED MY RIGHT ARM. IT WAS BLEEDING PROFUSELY. I HAD TO GO TO MEDICAL & THEY TREATED MY ARM. I HAD TO GO BACK EVERYDAY TO HAVE IT CHECKED. THEY PUT ME ON AMOXICILLIN. THE NEXT DAY WHEN I RETURNED & THEY CHECKED IT, THEY TOLD ME IT LOOKED LIKE THE LACERATION TO MY UPPER ARM LOOKED LIKE IT WAS GETTING INFECTED. THEY THEN PUT ME ON CIPRO INSTEAD.

A FEW DAYS LATER I AGAIN FELL GETTING OFF MY SCOOTER TRYING TO GO TO THE HANDICAPPED BATHROOM. THIS TIME I HAD A LACERATION TO MY RIGHT SHIN. I AGAIN WAS BLEEDING PROFUSELY. LUCKALLY THERE WAS A GUEST WHO SAW ME FALL AMONG MANY OTHERS. THIS MAN WAS A PARAMEDIC & HE RAN TO MY RESCUE. HE GRABBED GLOVES & HAD THEM BRING TONS OF NAPKINS & KEPT PRESSURE ON MY MY WOUND UNTIL MEDICAL GOT THERE. IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR THIS MAN MY INJURY WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SEVERE AS HE SAID IT WOULD NEED STITCHES. THEY TOOK ME IN A WHEEL CHAIR TO MEDICAL & DID NOT STITCH THE WOUND BUT INSTEAD USED STERRI STRIPS ON THE LACERATION & BANDAGED IT UP PUT KOBAN OVER THE WOUND.

I SPECIFICALLY RENTED A SCOOTER FOR THE WEEK TO MAKE SURE I WOULD NOT HAVE MOBILITY PROBLEMS.

I DID NOT GET OFF THE BOAT AT EITHER PORT CANAVERAL OR YOUR PRIVATE ISLAND AS I HAD BEEN TO CAPE CANAVERAL ALREADY & YOUR PRIVATE ISLAND WAS NOT FRIENDLY TO PEOPLE WITH MOBILITY PROBLEMS.

THEN THERE WAS THE CANCELLATION OF GOING TO NASSAU. SO THEREFORE IT WAS THE CRUISE TO NOWHERE FOR ME.

I FEEL I SHOULD GET GET SOME KIND OF A REFUND AS MY CRUISE WAS TOTALLY RUINED.

I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

ALSO IF YOU HAVE NOT REFUNDED MY PORT PLEASE PLEASE DO SO.

I AWAIT YOUR REPLY.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m so sorry this happened. Unfortunately, all cruises have built into the terms you agree to that they have to right to change or cancel ports if there are issues with weather or the port.

Were you cruising when the hurricane was in the ocean? It doesn’t matter what “other” ships did. This affected your ship and if the Captain thought it wasn’t safe, the ship doesn’t go.

Now for your second issue. It seems like yomobility issues. Did you have someone traveling with you? Renting a scooter doesn’t solve issues if you have balance issues. The fact you fell twice is really not the fault of the cruise line- it sounds like you needed a companion to help you. Did the ship treat you are no charge?

Th only thing due is refunds for excursion in canceled ports.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Neil Maley is correct that the cruise line contract does state that the cruise line reserves the right to change or cancel any port of call at any time for any reason. The progress of Hurricane Florence would be considered such a reason. I know a number of ships' itineraries were modified to avoid the storm.

If the port charge for Bermuda was higher than that for Port Canaveral and the private island, you would also be due a refund of that overage.

I would say this: if the ship's medical dept treated you at no charge, I'd probably consider that fortunate and leave it there.

You are more than welcome to visit our Company Contacts above https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/royal-caribbean/ and, starting at the Customer Service level and working up the chain one at a time, send a polite request for at least a partial refund. Remember, though, that a couple of thousand of other passengers on your cruise found themselves in the same predicament, so you are asking Royal Caribbean for an exception to their rules; a favor.

I hope your arm and leg are healing properly.