Hotels.com

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 30, 2020
We booked a non refundable room through Hotels.com at Lyme Townhouse in Lyme Regis, England for May 5 thru May8, 2020. This was to be an extension of a trans Atlantic cruise. Cruise was cancelled due to Covid-19. all other vendors refunded full amounts even those that were non refundable. Hotels.com only offered a coupon for use at a later date only at the same hotel and good for a period of 12 months from the date of issue. Even if we could travel during that period of time the Terms and conditions of the coupon state that it must be used by the recipient who must be a resident of the United Kingdom. We are residents of the US and when we pointed this out to Hotels.com they offered no alternative solution. We have requested a full refund of the $444.42 paid in Nov. 2019. Credit card company is unable to help since the hotel rate was listed as non refundable. We agree, however due to the Covid-19 pandemic the UK was closed down and even if we were able to get there the hotel was under governmental orders to remain closed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you booked a nonrefundable rate, you technically aren’t due anything back. That’s the drawback of a nonrefundable rate.

If they are offering you a credit, they are doing more than they have to do,Covid or not.

Did you book this on a UK Hotels.com site or the US site?

Jun 28, 2020
I have read this several times on this site and want clarification....if you book a non=refundable rate, but the hotel is closed, how can you not be eligible for a refund. They are not providing the service you purchased...he said "the hotel was under governmental orders to remain closed." What am I missing?

Jun 30, 2020
If you booked a nonrefundable rate, you technically aren’t due anything back. That’s the drawback of a nonrefundable rate.

If they are offering you a credit, they are doing more than they have to do,Covid or not.

This booking was on a UK Hotels.com site, which we were automatically routed to when we made the booking.

While we understand the drawback of a nonrefundable rate, these are extraordinary times. The hotel could not provide the services we contracted for since they were closed down by order of the UK government. Just as here in the US businesses were order to close as the pandemic progressed through the country. It is quite a different case to decline to refund a booking when the party decides for whatever reason not to take advantage of the booked services. However, if a vendor is unable to live up to his/her obligations whether by their fault or an act of nature (fire, flood or any other natural diaster) it is encumbent on that vendor to return any and all deposits or payments received for services that he/she is no longer able to provide.

To give a voucher that by it Terms and Conditions is unusable by the recipient is simply not adequate compensation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t understand how you were routed to the UK site If you were on the US Hotels.com site- this is the first time I have ever heard of something like this.

Call your credit card company and file a dispute, saying you didn’t receive the service you paid for.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have read this several times on this site and want clarification....if you book a non=refundable rate, but the hotel is closed, how can you not be eligible for a refund. They are not providing the service you purchased...he said "the hotel was under governmental orders to remain closed." What am I missing?
Technically, you're not missing anything. If a hotel is closed, you should get a refund. The rub comes when you try to obtain that refund. It takes forever ... they know at some point you might just give up. Now with the virus as an excuse, they can drag it out even longer. It's the online booking services that are the problem.

Tbot, I don't agree that a CC dispute is a good idea right now. You booked a non-ref rate, you didn't stay there (no matter the reason), and you shouldn't get a refund ... that's likely to be your CC issuer's take on the situation. I would make a concerted effort to obtain a credit that you can actually use, one with a two-year period and one that can be used by the customer, no matter where they reside. This caveat sounds quite fishy to me, BTW. I hope you weren't redirected to a scam website to make the original res. I'd send a concise, polite email asking for a usable credit, after reviewing their terms and conditions to be sure that they can avoid giving you a refund. Make a genuine try, and file a CC dispute if all else fails. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Last edited:

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Was the hotel already closed at the time you canceled? If so, you should be eligible for a refund/credit card dispute. If you canceled while the hotel was still open, though, the regular cancellation terms would apply (even if they later decided to close on the dates of your reservation).

Reactions: Patina