Hotel in Turkey I booked gave me somewhat of a backhand threat?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 10, 2020
So you had two separate reservations in one booking- one for one bed March 17-19 and a second for March 19-22? I don’t recall ever seeing one reservation that had two separate dates and room types on it.

But why would you choose a nonrefundable rate at all if you weren’t sure your friend would be joining you? It seems there is more to this story than meets the eye. What is the name of the hotel?

Your error was booking the second room after you approved the first transaction.
I am going, regardless of my friend coming or not, so I thought even if my friend later joins me, I can always pay them more and get a bigger room or my friend can make a separate booking for himself. The pictures from the hotel looked like it was a very decent hotel and the location was really good (less than a mile from major tourist attractions). The hotel has a 7 star rating on Priceline.com and was cheap enough to bait me for into making an impulse booking. If it makes sense, I made three separate reservations in total. In the first round, I made the two separate reservations in case my friend comes(17-19 & 19-22), once it was denied I made one single reservation for 17-22 altogether.

The name of the hotel is Ottoman Time Hotel in Istanbul Turkey, 0.8 miles from Grand Bazar and about a Mile away from Sultanahmet which is where most tourist attractions are. I also agree with you 100% that it was my fault to make a second impulse booking once the card was denied at 2AM. I had little experience with changing/canceling reservation with priceline as this would be my first time ever doing such.

Reactions: James AZ
Sep 19, 2015
Well this is a budget hotel for what $15 dollars a night with breakfast? I looked at the reviews — the ones on booking.com were not too dreadful. The one reason i like booking.com reviews is that only people who booked and stayed can review— not like tripadvisor or google where anyone can post anything.

When I read the reviews all I could think of — hmm I stayed in a lot worse places when I was in school — oh and I mean grad school and alone — and that includes Middle East and Europe.

You need to understand that non refundable means just that. I generally do not book those types of rooms if uncertain. And one time I did and could not make the trip I lost the money. Such is life.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Now there is a third reservation that is also nonrefundable?

You can use our contacts to contact Priceline but the more you tell us, the less I think there was any error by the hotel. This sounds more like buyers remorse booking a nonrefundable rate and then checking the reviews. The more we learn, the less it seems the hotel is to blame.

Reactions: jsmithw

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, the hotel knows very well that I will be traveling alone and I explained them as politely as one can the entire situation, they just refused to back down from their unfair practices. It is extortion when they have hinted that they may hold a gun at me and take money when I arrive for the booking I have already paid for.
I cannot follow the details of your story, I'm sorry to say. I think we have a situation here of inexperience. You used several online booking services it appears. That's always a mistake. You seem to be quick with the "extortion, unfair practices, hold a gun at me, take money when I arrive" language... none of this makes any sense to me. Someone who does their own booking on the internet needs to know exactly what the terms and conditions are before finalizing the booking. A hotel is not going to change its policies because you were unaware of them when you booked, especially if it was not a direct booking. There's nothing unfair about that. If you booked a non-refundable rate, you won't get your money back. All that information is something you need to research. If you want to create a concise statement of the facts, without opinions and negativity, perhaps we can help. But we need to understand exactly what happened without all the rhetoric.

Jan 10, 2020
I cannot follow the details of your story, I'm sorry to say. I think we have a situation here of inexperience. You used several online booking services it appears. That's always a mistake. You seem to be quick with the "extortion, unfair practices, hold a gun at me, take money when I arrive" language... none of this makes any sense to me. Someone who does their own booking on the internet needs to know exactly what the terms and conditions are before finalizing the booking. A hotel is not going to change its policies because you were unaware of them when you booked, especially if it was not a direct booking. There's nothing unfair about that. If you booked a non-refundable rate, you won't get your money back. All that information is something you need to research. If you want to create a concise statement of the facts, without opinions and negativity, perhaps we can help. But we need to understand exactly what happened without all the rhetoric.
Why is it so hard to understand that first I had a booking [ (March 17-19) + March (19-22) ]. Once this was denied, I re-booked with one transaction this time, unlike the last time, which was for (March 17-22) because I thought last transaction will not be repeated by the hotel because it was already denied and chase who is my credit card provider, said I would need to re try paying for the transaction. Which is what I did for the 17-22 booking. So that makes 3 transactions in total. I have only used priceline.com to make all three reservations. I had a $1400 plane ticket transaction denied about 10 years ago, again for possible fraud, but I had to place the order again on the airlines website to actually confirm the booking. How would anyone know it would be a different case with a hotel? I have used priceline for almost 6/7 years now and never had to cancel or change anything.

Now, when I tried to politely explained the hotel what had happened and asked them to cancel, these were their exact words, "Booking doesn't give us your credit card information to put it on the shelf, they give us so we have the right to charge you, we are not holding a gun at you to get your money. So you need to pay for the March 19-22 booking on top of everything you paid once you arrive for check in".....Now tell me, would you feel comfortable staying at a hotel, possibly alone, who uses this kind of language?

Jan 10, 2020
Well this is a budget hotel for what $15 dollars a night with breakfast? I looked at the reviews — the ones on booking.com were not too dreadful. The one reason i like booking.com reviews is that only people who booked and stayed can review— not like tripadvisor or google where anyone can post anything.

When I read the reviews all I could think of — hmm I stayed in a lot worse places when I was in school — oh and I mean grad school and alone — and that includes Middle East and Europe.

You need to understand that non refundable means just that. I generally do not book those types of rooms if uncertain. And one time I did and could not make the trip I lost the money. Such is life.
I paid about $19 per night, I wasn't planning on eating their breakfast, all I wanted was a decent experience. I would still consider staying there if they hadn't used the type of language they did even when I was polite with them.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Why is it so hard to understand that first I had a booking [ (March 17-19) + March (19-22) ]. Once this was denied, I re-booked with one transaction this time, unlike the last time, which was for (March 17-22) because I thought last transaction will not be repeated by the hotel because it was already denied and chase who is my credit card provider, said I would need to re try paying for the transaction. Which is what I did for the 17-22 booking. So that makes 3 transactions in total. I have only used priceline.com to make all three reservations. I had a $1400 plane ticket transaction denied about 10 years ago, again for possible fraud, but I had to place the order again on the airlines website to actually confirm the booking. How would anyone know it would be a different case with a hotel? I have used priceline for almost 6/7 years now and never had to cancel or change anything.

Now, when I tried to politely explained the hotel what had happened and asked them to cancel, these were their exact words, "Booking doesn't give us your credit card information to put it on the shelf, they give us so we have the right to charge you, we are not holding a gun at you to get your money. So you need to pay for the March 19-22 booking on top of everything you paid once you arrive for check in".....Now tell me, would you feel comfortable staying at a hotel, possibly alone, who uses this kind of language?
An example of what I'm having trouble understanding is your first sentence which is 5 lines and no punctuation. Making a list might help.

Jan 10, 2020
An example of what I'm having trouble understanding is your first sentence which is 5 lines and no punctuation. Making a list might help.
lol ok, English isn't my first language, so here goes,

1. Booked hotel "March 17-19" + "March 19-22"
    • Thinking my friend would join me for March 19-22
    • Credit Card transaction was denied
  2. Made a second booking for March 17-22
    • Made this booking because chase said I need to try paying again if money hasn't been taken for the denied transaction
  3. Contacted hotel explaining points 1 & 2
    • Hotel said, "Booking doesn't give us your credit card information to put it on the shelf, they give us so we have the right to charge you, we are not holding a gun at you to get your money. So you need to pay for the March 19-22 booking on top of everything you paid once you arrive for check in"
    • Given their language and approach to the issue, I do not feel safe staying at their hotel

I am not having any buyers remorse, I was willing to stay even with all the bad reviews, but what if they extort money from me once I am there. The police won't give a two penny i am sure.

Sep 19, 2015
But you miss the fact that they are not extorting you. You input the credit card, you acknowledged the cancellation policy and you hit submit. More than once. Three times.

The hotel did not coerce you or force you.

You should wonder why Chase told you to book it again. Or you could have waited a few hours to see if there was a charge pending.

you Chose a place that is $19 a night, with a Chase credit card so US based, and are taking issue with the phrases used by a small hotel that may have used a translation software that is one step up from a hostel in Istanbul.

Are you trying to bully them with your priveledge?

Sep 19, 2015
Here is something people have to consider—‘when they input their credit card and hit that booking button for a new n refundable room which usually has wording saying that one acknowledges the terms and conditions and cancellation — they have just entered into a contract. Some large hotel corporations may have a 24 hour cancellation— but most do not.

This is not a video game where one can turn it off and start over.

Some hotels may offer a good will gesture but there is no requirement to clean up the person’s mess.

Jan 10, 2020
But you miss the fact that they are not extorting you. You input the credit card, you acknowledged the cancellation policy and you hit submit. More than once. Three times.

The hotel did not coerce you or force you.

You should wonder why Chase told you to book it again. Or you could have waited a few hours to see if there was a charge pending.

you Chose a place that is $19 a night, with a Chase credit card so US based, and are taking issue with the phrases used by a small hotel that may have used a translation software that is one step up from a hostel in Istanbul.

Are you trying to bully them with your priveledge?
The hotel didn't coerce me. Please refer to the type of language they have been using when I was nothing but polite with them. If they are this aggressive when I am miles away, makes me wonder how they would treat me when I am there. lets say you go buy something at a store, your card gets denied, you swipe your card again and then it goes through, would you ever think that the store might charge you for the first denied transaction two days later?

I am not trying to bully anyone, this is just bad business practice on their behalf. If the booking was in a day or two I would still understand, but its more than 2 months in advance, if they were really a decent and honest business, they would gladly understand the issue (because PL has also asked them to consider cancelling and PL doesn't have any issues with the cancellation if the hotel agrees to).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The hotel didn't coerce me. Please refer to the type of language they have been using when I was nothing but polite with them. If they are this aggressive when I am miles away, makes me wonder how they would treat me when I am there. lets say you go buy something at a store, your card gets denied, you swipe your card again and then it goes through, would you ever think that the store might charge you for the first denied transaction two days later?

I am not trying to bully anyone, this is just bad business practice on their behalf. If the booking was in a day or two I would still understand, but its more than 2 months in advance, if they were really a decent and honest business, they would gladly understand the issue (because PL has also asked them to consider cancelling and PL doesn't have any issues with the cancellation if the hotel agrees to).
But you opted for the nonrefundable rate - and nonrefundable is exactly that. Why didn't you book a cancellable rate?

I just tried to book this hotel through Priceline and it clearly states nonrefundable and this:
Cancellation Policy
Please note, if cancelled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
And out checkout, it states it as well :
Standard Single Room
Includes:
  • Free WIFI
  • and Free Breakfast
And reviews are shown right on the page.

You really don't have a claim with the hotel - you chose a non refundable rate that stated in more than one place it was nonrefundable.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
Do I understand correctly that this hotel is $19 per night and includes breakfast? For six nights? And for some unknown reason the hotel doesn’t want to blow their profit margin on cancelling a non-cancellable rate?

Jan 10, 2020
But you opted for the nonrefundable rate - and nonrefundable is exactly that. Why didn't you book a cancellable rate?

I just tried to book this hotel through Priceline and it clearly states nonrefundable and this:
Cancellation Policy
Please note, if cancelled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
And out checkout, it states it as well :
Standard Single Room
Includes:
  • Free WIFI
  • and Free Breakfast
And reviews are shown right on the page.

You really don't have a claim with the hotel - you chose a non refundable rate that stated in more than one place it was nonrefundable.
There wasn't any option to choose a non-refundable rate. No one is denying that given the price, the hotel offers some great stuff, regardless of the fact if I am going to use them or not. Just that I don't feel safe within their establishment given the way they have handled the issue so far.

Jan 10, 2020
Do I understand correctly that this hotel is $19 per night and includes breakfast? For six nights? And for some unknown reason the hotel doesn’t want to blow their profit margin on cancelling a non-cancellable rate?
One of the reviewers on Google said he was made to stay in a room with cracks and the walls of which was held by some metal contraption. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an undercover brothel

Jan 10, 2020
And just an observation, Chase advised you that you should try the transaction again. I do not take this as book the room again; I take this as try the credit card transaction again (which is exactly what the hotel did).
I agree, I took a quick decision without thinking because from a previous experience, I had the notion that I would need to re-book in order for them to try this.

Jan 10, 2020
Then don't stay there. Walk away. You are out how much, $200. Reserve at the prior hotel you were at in Istanbul. You liked that place. Or stay at Raffles for $400 per night. At that price, you will feel safe.
I wanted to stay at the previous one, in fact I liked it to the point where I had decided to only stay there for all my future visits. Sadly the hotel was closed permanently.

Jan 10, 2020
Then don't stay there. Walk away. You are out how much, $200. Reserve at the prior hotel you were at in Istanbul. You liked that place. Or stay at Raffles for $400 per night. At that price, you will feel safe.
The fact they might force me to pay or else won't let me check in is what makes me feel unsafe, not other things.