HomeAway

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 9, 2019
Same answer: https://www.homeaway.com/l/travel-with-confidence/

Look at this site and follow the steps. You may not be eligible. If that is the case there is nowhere else to go.
Thank you very much for this info. We did contact the owner by email within the 24 hr time period giving her full details. She replied immediately saying she was sorry and she ha
“had taken on board what I had said and she would address the issues I had pointed out.she did not follow through. Now who should I address this to. Last time I went to the top guy MikeOrtegon and was told I should have started lower! I have copies of everything!
Same answer: https://www.homeaway.com/l/travel-with-confidence/

Look at this site and follow the steps. You may not be eligible. If that is the case there is nowhere else to go.
We used aHomeAway rental in London and just returned a week ago. I wrote letters and sent pictures and they are not interested in your problem but they do like the money! They said I must deal with the owner. What a joke. There were many differences in what she said and what we know happened
I see that HomeAway ‘s parents are involved with Expedia. Will try to avoid them too.
Was told I couldn’t submit a review as we checked out a day early. The didn’t send a refund either . Never again.
Move to the next executive.
He is the top guy. Do you mean the next lower executive?
No- you were supposed to start at the lower Executives and move up one by one once a week.

If the top executive told you no- there isn’t anywhere else to go. A lower executive will not override the boss.
I did not invoke the HomeAway guarantee as I had never heard of it before. It seems I contacted the top individual at Homaway and because I contacted him I now have no place to go? I would like to invoke this guarantee but who should I contact?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you very much for this info. We did contact the owner by email within the 24 hr time period giving her full details. She replied immediately saying she was sorry and she ha
“had taken on board what I had said and she would address the issues I had pointed out.she did not follow through. Now who should I address this to. Last time I went to the top guy MikeOrtegon and was told I should have started lower! I have copies of everything!
I don’t know if you qualify now. You needed to contact them within 12 hours of arriving to invoke a “not as described” complaint.

Material Misrepresentation" means that (i) a Protected Traveler has made a deposit (if required) and full payment to an Advertiser for a rental property that is listed on a HomeAway Site, (ii) within twelve (12) hours of first entering the subject property on the first day of the rental term, the Protected Traveler leaves the rental property and refuses to occupy the rental property due to the Material Non-Compliance (as defined below) of the rental property as compared to the description made in the listing on the HomeAway Site; (iii) the Protected Traveler’s deposit and/or payment is not refunded or is wrongfully withheld by the Advertiser, and (iv) the existence of the Material Non-Compliance of the rental property is subsequently confirmed by Us in Our reasonable discretion.

When you book these sites you must read all the terms so you know what you need to do if there is a problem.

There is a link in their guarantee information on how to file but I am not overly optimistic that they will do anything because you didn’t follow the requirements. Let us know how you make out.

Read this, it tells you on the bottom how to file.

https://www.homeaway.com/info/legal/terms-conditions/bookwithconfidence

Jul 9, 2019
Have posted a review on sitejabber.com and I am not the only one.
I reopened my case and they closed it.
You all were correct - they win and we lose.
Not even one might refund for checking out early.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have posted a review on sitejabber.com and I am not the only one.
I reopened my case and they closed it.
You all were correct - they win and we lose.
Not even one might refund for checking out early.
It might have been a different situation if you had contacted Home Away right away. Did you go all the way the list of Executives we show one by one?

Jul 9, 2019
It might have been a different situation if you had contacted Home Away right away. Did you go all the way the list of Executives we show one by one?
I did everything and I am trying to forget this dishonest company. Check them out on Sitejabber.com. You will see many instances where they have been ripping people off.

Feb 17, 2018
I did everything and I am trying to forget this dishonest company. Check them out on Sitejabber.com. You will see many instances where they have been ripping people off.
Not sure that is really indicative of the nature of any company, as usually only people who had a bad experience, either rightly so or not, post there.

The real problem with sites like HomeAway, VRBO, AirBnB,... is that it just a step up from the classified ads or Craigslist. The sites don't own or manage the properties but provide a means for the property owners or managers to list them. Beside some basic fraud and payment protection, any problems with property usually have to be addressed with the owner/managers and the listing company within a short period of time after arriving at the property, otherwise the funds are released to the lister.

The terms of use for these sites are fairly clear, as you didn't involve the company to give them an opportunity to rectify at the time, your stuck with attempting to resolve this with the property owner/manager. In the end, that is who responsible for the issues you experienced.

Oct 18, 2018
Don’t think Homeaway or others should operate with a “gotcha” policy: you didn’t contact us within 12 hours, you lose! Oh, didn’t realize the time limit? Gotcha twice!
Abusive owners gravitate to these sites because they know how it shields them from reasonable responsibility. Buyer beware!
We don’t use them anymore. Rather be in hotel than play roulette. Their business practices need to change or gradually their share of the market will dry up. They don’t have the pivotal control that say, the airlines do.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don’t think Homeaway or others should operate with a “gotcha” policy: you didn’t contact us within 12 hours, you lose! Oh, didn’t realize the time limit? Gotcha twice!
Abusive owners gravitate to these sites because they know how it shields them from reasonable responsibility. Buyer beware!
We don’t use them anymore. Rather be in hotel than play roulette. Their business practices need to change or gradually their share of the market will dry up. They don’t have the pivotal control that say, the airlines do.
They do this because all these companies want is to be a broker and bear no responsibility for problems. And yes, bad owners can take advantage but they also make it bad for the thousands of GOOD owners who are honest and have successful rentals.

This home sharing is a totally unregulated industry and renters have no idea if they are even renting a place that is legal and adheres to fire code and safety regulations. Anyone who isn’t savvy about this and rents to save money had better read all the rules. It is rare we a complaint from anyone who read all the disclaimers to know that all of these have terms that are not favorable to renters if they don’t follow the “guarantee” rules.

HomeAway’s booking guarantee doesn’t even give you a link to file a guarantee complaint. It took me forever to find out you have to send them an email.

Oct 18, 2018
Neil, I completely agree with your assessment. Does consumer advocacy limit itself to making the best of what might be called unfriendly consumer policies, or is there an opportunity for Elliot’s Forums to partner with a more ethical program and provide quality management?

Sep 19, 2015
Some general advice -- if a person has a problem with the hotel they should also address it immediately, Going home and then requesting a partial refund may be problematic.

What is harder with the vacation rental is that there is the owner and then the booking service, which makes it more of a challenge.

Oct 18, 2018
It’s not what we do. We are here strictly to help consumers that have been wronged by a company and to explain what they could have done to avoid the issue.
Too bad! Opportune time for a guaranteed consumer friendly vacation rental company to engage the public. Personally, I'd rather be assured of an honest deal than learn what I "could have done to avoid" being cheated. I suspect there are straight forward ways to bind the owner into doing what a third party feels is the right thing for the consumer.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Too bad! Opportune time for a guaranteed consumer friendly vacation rental company to engage the public. Personally, I'd rather be assured of an honest deal than learn what I "could have done to avoid" being cheated. I suspect there are straight forward ways to bind the owner into doing what a third party feels is the right thing for the consumer.
Remember our obligation is to be unbiased and not make recommendations. We are here to educate and even when there are problems with companies, our advocates have built relationships with these same companies to try to resolve the issues that happen.

We do have threads on the forums on how to avoid problems and what to watch out for.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Not sure that is really indicative of the nature of any company, as usually only people who had a bad experience, either rightly so or not, post there.

The real problem with sites like HomeAway, VRBO, AirBnB,... is that it just a step up from the classified ads or Craigslist. The sites don't own or manage the properties but provide a means for the property owners or managers to list them. Beside some basic fraud and payment protection, any problems with property usually have to be addressed with the owner/managers and the listing company within a short period of time after arriving at the property, otherwise the funds are released to the lister.

The terms of use for these sites are fairly clear, as you didn't involve the company to give them an opportunity to rectify at the time, your stuck with attempting to resolve this with the property owner/manager. In the end, that is who responsible for the issues you experienced.
Extremely well said, FALT. These sites are "out there" without regulation, without supervision, without any kind of oversight. Consumers are bombarded with advertising, the booking sites have slick websites, it's a snap to book, and people are lulled into thinking that they will be "taken care of". Thousands of travellers enjoy non-hotel accommodations every day ... but many more of us are unwilling to invest our money before experiencing the property. Added to that is the factor that the guest is supposed to work issues out directly with the owner/manager. The last thing I want or need when travelling is arguing about getting things put to right. Travellers need to THINK about themselves and the whole scenario before they fall for the charms of a gorgeous beach house with no working plumbing.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jul 9, 2019
Extremely well said, FALT. These sites are "out there" without regulation, without supervision, without any kind of oversight. Consumers are bombarded with advertising, the booking sites have slick websites, it's a snap to book, and people are lulled into thinking that they will be "taken care of". Thousands of travellers enjoy non-hotel accommodations every day ... but many more of us are unwilling to invest our money before experiencing the property. Added to that is the factor that the guest is supposed to work issues out directly with the owner/manager. The last thing I want or need when travelling is arguing about getting things put to right. Travellers need to THINK about themselves and the whole scenario before they fall for the charms of a gorgeous beach house with no working plumbing.
Very well said. Amelia

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, I am in Miami and this is a big issue on the Beach... the Herald has written about this issue a few times... good call!
Heck, inspectors could show up and kick you out or id suggest you call the city...
We have the same issue in NYC- short term rentals are illegal yet all the home sharing apps allow them, even after being ordered to stop. All it takes is a neighbor to complain and the renters can be kicked out.