Home Depot - trying to cancel an order for a Generator

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 4, 2020
Please help - time is of the essence here! We need to cancel an order of a Honda Generator we ordered from Home Depot on 4-23-2020. The electrical contractor told us it would be a LOT of money to install the automatic electrical hookup to our our home. We cannot afford to do this, so we do NOT need the Generator.

My husband spoke to Home Depot on 4-28-2020 and the rep, Kayla saw that the Generator had not yet shipped, so she tried to call Honda to cancel this order but she got no one on the phone. The next day or so we got a notice that the Generator has shipped. Ugh!

We then tried contacting Home Depot through Facebook on 4-29-2020 and the rep Kourtney said she would help. We got her the correct Order number on Friday, 4-30-2020. I did not hear back from Kourtney via Facebook until this morning, 5-4-2020 and was told to call the same Home Depot 800 number that we called back on 4-28-2020. So all Kourtney did was waste valuable days and still the order had not been canceled. I also wrote to the Home Depot customer service e-mail listed on the Elliot.org website, but have heard nothing.

Please help - the Generator may be here by the end of the week. All I can think to do is to refuse delivery. There is no way this would fit into one of our cars to return it to Home Depot....that is IF we could even lift it!!! We are in our mid-60's and the Generator is heavy.

We need this generator order cancelled and not delivered. Please help - we are at our wits end here.

May 4, 2020
We have written to the Company Contact listed on your page. We have called the 800 number listed on your page. We have had no luck, just the run-around. I can try calling them again, but I doubt it will help.

May 4, 2020
Wrote to Home Depot on 4-30-2020. And unfortunately, we do not have a week since Honda shipped RIGHT AFTER the rep we contacted at Home Depot tried to cancel with Honda.... Coincidence?? I wonder...

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Here is their return policy:

Unfortunately, if this is a whole house or stationary generator, it appears these are not returnable or refundable.

May 4, 2020
It's not a whole-house Generator it is a portable one...just very heavy and too big to fit into our cars. Also, Home Depot says it is extending its return policy to 180 days...but the "exceptions" list has not changed. Time is of the essence here...

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
You can try refusing it, though HD may charge you the shipping cost for the delivery and return since this isn't an error on their part. If it is delivered, you can submit a request on that page for a return, though you may need to have UPS pick it up.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
find another electrician. I can't speak for your finances, but it should not be a crazy expensive install.
Dave is absolutely right. A portable generator should cost nothing extra unless your electrical system is faulty. Even my whole-house generator did not require any electrical alterations before installation. I hope you can get the proper help from an electrical expert. A generator is a wonderful thing to have.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dave is absolutely right. A portable generator should cost nothing extra unless your electrical system is faulty. Even my whole-house generator did not require any electrical alterations before installation. I hope you can get the proper help from an electrical expert. A generator is a wonderful thing to have.
We installed a whole house generator after Sandy and it was the best thing we ever did. We have had many power outages since then and we have air conditioning in the summer, tv, refrigerator, computers- it’s as if nothing happened.

It was worth every penny we paid. Please try and call another electrician and get another estimate.

May 1, 2018
I second the opinion of getting more quotes. I had an electrician wire a 50 amp inlet placed on the outside of my house to be used with a portable generator for around $650. I got 3-4 quotes and the most expensive one was almost $2k so I kept shopping around. I'm in a pretty expensive northern NJ suburb so I can't imagine it being too much more expensive in other areas.

May 4, 2020
To those of you suggesting new electrician quotes: We do plan to do that. This house was built in 1941 and has a very old, out of date electrical "box" and VERY old, somewhat convoluted wiring.

May 4, 2020
Good news! We spoke with a rep from Home Depot and lo and behold, the order has finally been cancelled!! Just waiting on the refund...I will post here when it goes through.

Thank you everyone for all your help, suggestions, and support. Very much appreciated. :)

• Love
Reactions: Skippy and Patina
Feb 11, 2018
To those of you suggesting new electrician quotes: We do plan to do that. This house was built in 1941 and has a very old, out of date electrical "box" and VERY old, somewhat convoluted wiring.
If your wiring is that old, I suspect the law requires that it be brought up to code when any electrical work is done. That may be the reason for the huge quote.

May 4, 2020
Okay, this is too funny! We have successfully canceled this order. My credit card company says the credit is "pending". Just now, the delivery people showed up with the Generator! :rolleyes:

We feel bad no one told them to NOT deliver it! It is not an easy drive to get here...poor guys. They are having hubby sign a form "refusing the delivery", and he spoke to the delivery supervisor.

As long as the refund goes through all will be well. :)