Home Depot Safety Concerns

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 25, 2020
I have a rental property. In December of 2018, I used Home Depot to purchase a gas water heater and install it in my rental. A year and a half later, I'm finding out from my tenant the water heater is going out a lot, and a subsequent investigation has revealed it was never installed properly and it is leaking carbon monoxide in an unsafe manner. At the time, I was not near the property (military, I was overseas a lot), and I didn't get a chance to verify that permits were pulled. Home Depot claims they have no record of the purchase, when I have the receipt and the credit card transaction as well.

At the very least I'd like a full refund. Ideally I'd like them to remove the gas water heater and install an electric one for me, free of charge.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Here are the Home Depot contacts: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/home-depot/
You should start at the first level of customer service and email them, then wait a week before moving to the next level if no/negative response. Include the HD reference # in your email. DO NOT attach the receipt until asked to do so.

You probably need to adjust your request to the repair of the water heater and the correction of the installation to conform to code, with a replacement if this cannot be accomplished. If your only demand is a full refund or replacement without any attempt to fix the problem your demand will likely be denied.

Sep 27, 2018
Clarifying question. Does your receipt itemize the water heater purchase and the installation charge separately? Or did you pay the installer separately? The installers are independent contractors and don't have any connection to HD.

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 24, 2019
Clarifying question. Does your receipt itemize the water heater purchase and the installation charge separately? Or did you pay the installer separately? The installers are independent contractors and don't have any connection to HD.
Having used Home Depot twice for water heaters, the charge was for both the product and the service on the same bill. And while the installers are separate legal entities from Home Depot, the only way I did business with the installers was through Home Depot.

Reactions: FrankL183

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Are you saying Home Depot did not obtain required permits and inspections? I suggest you go to the Home Depot where you purchased the water heater, speak to the manager and show them your receipt. Ask them to fix the issue and obtain the legally required inspections. I would also ask them to pay for any expenses you incurred investigating the issue.

I doubt Home Depot will push back much given the potential liabilities associated with their negligence.

Jun 25, 2020
Having used Home Depot twice for water heaters, the charge was for both the product and the service on the same bill. And while the installers are separate legal entities from Home Depot, the only way I did business with the installers was through Home Depot.
Correct. That's how mine is billed.

Jun 25, 2020
Are you saying Home Depot did not obtain required permits and inspections? I suggest you go to the Home Depot where you purchased the water heater, speak to the manager and show them your receipt. Ask them to fix the issue and obtain the legally required inspections. I would also ask them to pay for any expenses you incurred investigating the issue.

I doubt Home Depot will push back much given the potential liabilities associated with their negligence.
Thank you. I'm hoping to avoid the trip given COVID, but phone calls haven't been answered. So I may have to.

Reactions: FrankL183

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Depending on the state, permits may not need to be pulled when replacing something like to like. If other work was done, changes made, then it might be a permit issue.

May 15, 2016
A permit to replace a hot water heater??? I guess anything is possible, but I would not make accusations regarding that without first confirming that it is a requirement in your county.

Reactions: jsmithw
Jun 24, 2019
A permit to replace a hot water heater??? I guess anything is possible, but I would not make accusations regarding that without first confirming that it is a requirement in your county.
I have had Home Depot replace water heaters twice. We live within the City of Los Angeles. In both cases the Home Depot contractor pulled permits, installed the water heater, and gave us written and oral instructions on how to schedule an inspection. In the first instance, significant upgrades were required to comply with revised building codes.

Reactions: Neil Maley
May 15, 2016
Then I should be thankful I live in an area without such nonsense. LA is crazy. My wife just showed me a listing of a house in El Segundo (for those who do not know that is directly next to the LAX airport), a little nothing of a house not near the beach, not even an "ocean view" for $2.3 million. 1/10 of an acre plot.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I was watching one of those home repair shows and the episode was in California (forget which city) and they mentioned the permits for water heaters out there due to requiring the install to meet certain earthquake codes. The main thing I recall was ties to the wall that were to help prevent it from dislodging from the gas or water line as either would be bad news.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Then I should be thankful I live in an area without such nonsense. LA is crazy. My wife just showed me a listing of a house in El Segundo (for those who do not know that is directly next to the LAX airport), a little nothing of a house not near the beach, not even an "ocean view" for $2.3 million. 1/10 of an acre plot.
Yup, even a little kid can make money on California real estate. I'm thankful we got started in 1972 when we could actually buy our first house in San Francisco. Figure out how to buy one house and you're off to the races.