HOLLAND AMERICA CRUISE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 19, 2020
I had cxl my cruise for May 23, 2020 on Mar 3, 2020. so far I've received only 1/2 of my full paid cruise for 2 rooms from Mar 8 to Mar 11,2020.
I have called their accounting dept twice end of Mar to ask for the rest of the refund ($ 4000). The accounting Dept said its in process & they don't know when I will receive the rest of the refund. Should I try to write a letter to their corporate office?
Thank you
My-Chi Melcher

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They don’t have enough cash to pay all refunds at once. You could try using our company contacts page to write but it’s just going to be a waiting game - they have to have new bookings being made to have cash to pay for the canceled trips.

Reactions: jsn55

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I don't follow HAL closely personally, but I believe on March 3rd most cruise lines were not making exceptions for cruises at the end of May yet. I think there's a good chance your cruise was under normal cancellation policy which is why you only got 50% back.

ETA I found on their website changes to their policy on March 6th. Which is 3 days after you canceled. Sorry to say it looks like the original cancellation policy was in effect when you cancelled. https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog...es-short-term-changes-to-cancellation-policy/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I had cxl my cruise for May 23, 2020 on Mar 3, 2020. so far I've received only 1/2 of my full paid cruise for 2 rooms from Mar 8 to Mar 11,2020.
I have called their accounting dept twice end of Mar to ask for the rest of the refund ($ 4000). The accounting Dept said its in process & they don't know when I will receive the rest of the refund. Should I try to write a letter to their corporate office?
Thank you
My-Chi Melcher
My-Chi, did you read your cancellation policy before you cancelled this cruise? If not, you should be reading carefully now. You should find out exactly what refund or future credit to expect. Nothing is happening very quickly, all travel providers are swamped with emails, phone calls and letters. I'm impressed that anyone in accounting even answered the phone. By knowing what the facts are, you can follow up on this in a couple of weeks. Come back to us and we can advise how to pursue a refund in writing if one is due.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't follow HAL closely personally, but I believe on March 3rd most cruise lines were not making exceptions for cruises at the end of May yet. I think there's a good chance your cruise was under normal cancellation policy which is why you only got 50% back.

ETA I found on their website changes to their policy on March 6th. Which is 3 days after you canceled. Sorry to say it looks like the original cancellation policy was in effect when you cancelled. https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog...es-short-term-changes-to-cancellation-policy/
Good research!! I think they were only canceling to througn April on March 3.