Holiday Inn Amritsar, India Ripping American Women Off!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 15, 2019
Company you have a question or comment about: InterContinental Hotels Group

Hi, I’m actually at the end of my rope here! Back in May, my sister and I booked a reservation at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Amritsar India. We book the reservation through booking‘s.com. We checked into the hotel and stayed the night. Our original booking was for four nights. The mold/mildew smell was so horrible that we both got sick with headaches so, we had to check out early and book another hotel in the area. Not only was the smell atrocious, we paid for the buffet breakfast in our price and never received any food from the buffet. I ordered an egg white omelette that never came to the table and, my sister ordered three eggs over easy that they brought and they were raw so she couldn’t eat them. Then, the server came to the table and said the buffet was closed. The staff was so rude and disrespectful to us both. We went down to the front desk when we arrived and checked in and asked if they could exchange US$100 for us. They said no, they couldn’t do that because then they wouldn’t have money for the rest of their guests. REALLY? I locked myself out of the room because I left my key card inside. I asked at the front desk for another key card and the girl that was at reception refused to give it to me. She instead, set me back up into the hot hallway with one of the other kids that work there with a machine to try to get my door opened. It was 112°F outside. The halls were barely air-conditioned. I’m 65 years old and I couldn’t even breathe. I felt like I was going to pass out. After 10 minutes and I couldn’t take anymore, I went back down to the front desk and demanded another room card key so I could get into my room. When we came down to check out early, my sister asked to speak with the manager. He would only speak to her by phone. She asked him if he would please come out to the front desk and meet us in person so we could speak and he refused! While I was still at the desk checking out a tall man in a blue suit came and stood next to me. Never said I’m the manager can I help you nothing just stared me down to try to intimidate me. I know fully well that th she asked him if he would please come out to the front desk and meet us in person so we could speak and he refused! While I was still at the desk checking out a tall man in a blue suit came and stood next to me. Never said I’m the manager can I help you nothing just stared me down to try to intimidate me. I know fully well that he was the GM of the hotel. If looks could kill I would’ve certainly been dead. Not only was the service horrendous, but I also believe we were discriminated against for not only being women but for being foreigners!
During checkout, the nasty girl at the front told me and my sister that she was only charging us for the one night but she might have to charge an additional night she wasn’t sure. At that point, we felt so sick so I said fine I just want to get out of here and we thought that we would take care of it when we got home. To my surprise, when I got my bill from HSBC bank, I was charged the price of a full stay during checkout, the nasty girl at the front told me and my sister that she was only charging us for the one night but she might have to charge an additional night she wasn’t sure. At that point, we felt so sick so I said fine I just want to get out of here and we thought that we would take care of it when we got home. To my surprise, when I got my bill from HSBC bank, I was charged the price of a full stay for both my sister and myself. I did not authorize this charge.
No one, will seem to help me with this problem. I have not only spoken to Holiday Inn Intercontinental Hotels which is the corporate office, but also, HSBC bank as well as bookings.com. Not surprising but no one can reach the hotel. To me, this just shows what kind of hotel it is with the awful management and staff that are there. All three of the places mentioned above that I’ve spoken to you already say that they cannot help me. Please, I’m begging if you can because I am not paying for four night stay at a dump of a hotel and poorly run with rude staff. I don’t know what else to do. I did not authorize a $655 charge plus $10.35 charge on my credit card.

Thanking you in advance for anything you can do to help me with this problem.

Sincerely,
Karen Weisberg

What's your desired resolution? My desired solution is to get a credit for the overage charges that were put on my credit card without my authorization.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 668

Date of transaction/travel date: 05/29/2019

Please read this carefully. By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided in this form to a third party. I also authorize the disclosure of any information I may have provided in the past or in the future related to my request for assistance, including but not limited to the contents of emails, social media posts or telephone calls. The information I provide, including my name and other information that specifically identifies me, such as my city and daytime occupation, is considered "on the record" and I authorize its use in any media, including but not limited to a syndicated news article, a published story on this website, or a post on our social media channels. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.

☑YES, I ACCEPT.

Referred by: I was referred by one of your readers.

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Generally, when you book in advance you will have certain conditions listed on your confirmation, such as when you can cancel without penalty and whether a departure earlier than scheduled will allow a reduction in the charge. This should be spelled out on your booking confirmation both online and in an email you received.
You can reach out to IHG with your complaint: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

I would leave out "but I also believe we were discriminated against for not only being women but for being foreigners! " in your emails to IHG. This will not advance your case.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Company you have a question or comment about: InterContinental Hotels Group

Hi, I’m actually at the end of my rope here! Back in May, my sister and I booked a reservation at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Amritsar India. We book the reservation through booking‘s.com. We checked into the hotel and stayed the night. Our original booking was for four nights. The mold/mildew smell was so horrible that we both got sick with headaches so, we had to check out early and book another hotel in the area. Not only was the smell atrocious, we paid for the buffet breakfast in our price and never received any food from the buffet. I ordered an egg white omelette that never came to the table and, my sister ordered three eggs over easy that they brought and they were raw so she couldn’t eat them. Then, the server came to the table and said the buffet was closed. The staff was so rude and disrespectful to us both. We went down to the front desk when we arrived and checked in and asked if they could exchange US$100 for us. They said no, they couldn’t do that because then they wouldn’t have money for the rest of their guests. REALLY? I locked myself out of the room because I left my key card inside. I asked at the front desk for another key card and the girl that was at reception refused to give it to me. She instead, set me back up into the hot hallway with one of the other kids that work there with a machine to try to get my door opened. It was 112°F outside. The halls were barely air-conditioned. I’m 65 years old and I couldn’t even breathe. I felt like I was going to pass out. After 10 minutes and I couldn’t take anymore, I went back down to the front desk and demanded another room card key so I could get into my room. When we came down to check out early, my sister asked to speak with the manager. He would only speak to her by phone. She asked him if he would please come out to the front desk and meet us in person so we could speak and he refused! While I was still at the desk checking out a tall man in a blue suit came and stood next to me. Never said I’m the manager can I help you nothing just stared me down to try to intimidate me. I know fully well that th she asked him if he would please come out to the front desk and meet us in person so we could speak and he refused! While I was still at the desk checking out a tall man in a blue suit came and stood next to me. Never said I’m the manager can I help you nothing just stared me down to try to intimidate me. I know fully well that he was the GM of the hotel. If looks could kill I would’ve certainly been dead. Not only was the service horrendous, but I also believe we were discriminated against for not only being women but for being foreigners!
During checkout, the nasty girl at the front told me and my sister that she was only charging us for the one night but she might have to charge an additional night she wasn’t sure. At that point, we felt so sick so I said fine I just want to get out of here and we thought that we would take care of it when we got home. To my surprise, when I got my bill from HSBC bank, I was charged the price of a full stay during checkout, the nasty girl at the front told me and my sister that she was only charging us for the one night but she might have to charge an additional night she wasn’t sure. At that point, we felt so sick so I said fine I just want to get out of here and we thought that we would take care of it when we got home. To my surprise, when I got my bill from HSBC bank, I was charged the price of a full stay for both my sister and myself. I did not authorize this charge.
No one, will seem to help me with this problem. I have not only spoken to Holiday Inn Intercontinental Hotels which is the corporate office, but also, HSBC bank as well as bookings.com. Not surprising but no one can reach the hotel. To me, this just shows what kind of hotel it is with the awful management and staff that are there. All three of the places mentioned above that I’ve spoken to you already say that they cannot help me. Please, I’m begging if you can because I am not paying for four night stay at a dump of a hotel and poorly run with rude staff. I don’t know what else to do. I did not authorize a $655 charge plus $10.35 charge on my credit card.

Thanking you in advance for anything you can do to help me with this problem.

Sincerely,
Karen Weisberg

What's your desired resolution? My desired solution is to get a credit for the overage charges that were put on my credit card without my authorization.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 668

Date of transaction/travel date: 05/29/2019

Please read this carefully. By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided in this form to a third party. I also authorize the disclosure of any information I may have provided in the past or in the future related to my request for assistance, including but not limited to the contents of emails, social media posts or telephone calls. The information I provide, including my name and other information that specifically identifies me, such as my city and daytime occupation, is considered "on the record" and I authorize its use in any media, including but not limited to a syndicated news article, a published story on this website, or a post on our social media channels. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.

☑YES, I ACCEPT.

Referred by: I was referred by one of your readers.
Your stay does indeed sound unpleasant and I think, I too, might have made a decision to leave early; however, your letter is hard to read, as written and sounds very emotional and overly dramatic. You need to rewrite it for clarity in bullet points that clearly spell out the issues you encountered. Do NOT use language such as "that nasty girl at the front desk" etc... Do not put in your age. Do not imply that you were discriminated against. DO include how the business failed to fulfill their end of the transaction and meet your needs (dirty room that made you sick, no buffet for which you prepaid with the room, whatever.) This is a business you are communicating with and you need to keep the communication professional and to the point. Good Luck.

Feb 3, 2017
Had you reached out to booking.com?

You booked through them and they are the ones who likely had your credit card information. I think they are the ones that needed to be contacted as the hotel doesn't have your card info - or did they have it somehow?

Does your credit card statement show a charge from the hotel or from booking.com? My last booking.com booking was charged (on my Amex) to booking.com (Amsterdam) - the place I booked was in Naples, Italy.

booking.com has the little "i" next to their prices that show you what the cancelation policies are for a property.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 19, 2015
It sounds like a difficult stay. Was the entire hotel smelling of mildew or just the room? Did you try to change rooms?

I think you need to edit down the complaint as it is a laundry list and has started to sound petty. For instance complaining that the hotel did not want to change US $100 -- the hotel is not a bank. US 100 is a lot of money in a country where a dr makes what $850 per month? You want to change large sums of cash go to a bank or exchange service.

What time did you go to the buffet before it closed? The eggs being undercooked may have been in manner according to local tastes.

If it was so oppressive to stand in a hallway in a hotel it must have even been worse touring around -- many foreign places do not air condition to the same level as they do in the US, even if the hotel is part of a multinational.

And calling the front desk girl nasty -- why because she held to the terms of your booking? How did you treat her?

I see no signs of discrimination -- there are people -- even foreign women ( New Zealand, the Netherlands etc -- one wanted two single beds so not traveling with a partner) -- that have reviewed the hotel and had decent things to say. You may think it is a dump but others disagree.

If you want any sort of positive resolution you need to be professional -- and calling someone nasty, or calling a hotel a dump, or complaining about the procedure to open the door when you left the key in room, or that a hotel will not change $100 and then writing in all caps REALLY?