Hertz/Orbitz

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 15, 2019
I paid for a rental car through Orbitz for Hertz. I wasn't able to secure a rental because my debit card would not read on their scabber/swipe machine. I tried all machines. They had no means of entering the number directly, no chip reader and of course they do not except cash. When I contacted Hertz they say I need to contact Orbitz and vice versa. Hertz stated I never had a contract with them and sent me an email stating that.

Orbitz claims when they call customer service Hertz says I was given a car. Which is impossible since they never got my debit information. I have asked Orbitz to send me an email from Hertz verifying that. Of course they haven't.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Your statement appears to indicate that you were denied a rental, but were not charged. Regarding debit cards their policy is clear:

"Hertz will not accept debit cards or prepaid cash cards as a form of payment or guarantee at the time of reservation, or time of pickup. You must present a valid and accepted charge card mentioned above, at the beginning of the rental. Debit cards may be used for payment upon return. Eligible debit cards include Visa/Mastercard Reward, AAA Memberone/Membercash."​

They acted in accordance with their stated policy. And the Orbitz policy is similar:

"In general, you will need a credit card to prepay your car rental. While some car rental companies may allow you to pay for your rental with a debit card, you will still need to present a valid credit card (in the driver's name) to pay the car rental deposit due at pick-up."​

Oct 15, 2019
Your statement appears to indicate that you were denied a rental, but were not charged. Regarding debit cards their policy is clear:

"Hertz will not accept debit cards or prepaid cash cards as a form of payment or guarantee at the time of reservation, or time of pickup. You must present a valid and accepted charge card mentioned above, at the beginning of the rental. Debit cards may be used for payment upon return. Eligible debit cards include Visa/Mastercard Reward, AAA Memberone/Membercash."​

They acted in accordance with their stated policy. And the Orbitz policy is similar:

"In general, you will need a credit card to prepay your car rental. While some car rental companies may allow you to pay for your rental with a debit card, you will still need to present a valid credit card (in the driver's name) to pay the car rental deposit due at pick-up."​
Thank you for taking time to respond. to my issue.
However, Orbitz accepted my debit card to secure the rental. The issue arose with the car ins. Hertz stated they would not accept third-party insurances through Orbitz. I had to purchase their car rental ins. Trying to pay with my debit card would not work on their machines. Not once did the Hertz employees say we don't accept debit cards. So I had no idea that was the issues. Otherwise I could've gotten some one else with a credit card to sign For me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Before you booked, did you click on the terms that are shown and read the information? There is an entire section about debit cards.

Without insurance all car rentals will charge a deposit- even if pre-paid. They want yme know there is some credit in case you have an accident so you need to provude a card with enough credit or money in it for that hold. One if the things they say is a credit card can get used for the deposit they charge at pick up and when you drop it off, you can pay the final bill with the debit card.

They put holds on your card regardless of whether you prepay and if there are insufficient funds in your account for this hold you don’t get the car. That’s why you should always use a credit card for any type of travel. The holds can be more than that.

Reactions: VoR61
Oct 15, 2019
Thank you for taking time to respond. to my issue.
However, Orbitz accepted my debit card to secure the rental. The issue arose with the car ins. Hertz stated they would not accept third-party insurances through Orbitz. I had to purchase their car rental ins. Trying to pay with my debit card would not work on their machines. Not once did the Hertz employees say we don't accept debit cards. So I had no idea that was the issues. Otherwise I could've gotten some one else with a credit card to sign For me.
My issue is really with Orbitz not Hertz. Orbitz is insisting I did leave with a car. Orbitz should also be well aware most car rental companies will not accept their third-party insurances.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Car companies will accept their insurance if you bring proof showing you have it but they may still charge a deposit.

Try writing to Hertz and tell them you need something from them showing they refused to rent to you.

Oct 15, 2019
Car companies will accept their insurance if you bring proof showing you have it but they may still charge a deposit.

Try writing to Hertz and tell them you need something from them showing they refused to rent to you.
That is not what I was told by the representative. The proof of ins was visible on my purchase agreement with Orbitz. I did request that information from Hertz.

Oct 15, 2019
Neither. No deposit was ever suggested. There was money in my account to cover. I also had substantial cash on hand that couldve been deposited had that been an issue. The ownness of this is not on my bank account. It lies with Hertz lack of communication and inability to offer any other option.

Jun 24, 2019
OP reports that Hertz denies it had a contract with Hertz. Orbitz insists that not only did OP have a contract, OP got a car.

Yet another reason not to deal with an on-line travel agent like Orbitz. It has brought no value to this transaction, and is not solving OP's problem.

Hertz' position is interesting, and I've encountered that position before. Hertz and others seem not to understand that when they authorize a travel agent to make a booking, use their logo, access information, etc., then Hertz has a contract with the customer. If Hertz does not want to recognize deals Orbitz puts together, it can easily tell Orbitz not to book Hertz rentals.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hertz should have a record that the reservation was not completed if he The OP needs to get something from Hertz to present to Orbitz.

I suggest the OP starts writing to Hertz and get something from them that you us rental was not fulfilled so the OP can try and get a refund from Orbitz.

Here are our company contacts for Hertz:
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/

Here is how to start and escalate the writing process:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
That is not what I was told by the representative. The proof of ins was visible on my purchase agreement with Orbitz. I did request that information from Hertz.
The OP submitted a help request, she was not charged by Orbitz except for the insurance. The rental policies for this rental do state a credit card is required at the time the vehicle is picked up. We have asked her for documentation we would require to send this to the company to show she was charged for the rental. The insurance, unfortunately, isn't refundable, but we recommended contacting Orbitz to see if they would give her a future credit for that amount.

Capture.JPG

Sep 19, 2015
Hertz accepts 3rd party insurances -- such as having one's own policy -- I think the problem may be with having a debit card --

But I am confused -- did you get a car or not? If so how did you pay?

I think you need to understand how the major rental car companies operate -- from post #4

Trying to pay with my debit card would not work on their machines. Not once did the Hertz employees say we don't accept debit cards. So I had no idea that was the issues. Otherwise I could've gotten some one else with a credit card to sign For me.

The credit card used has to be in the name of the renter -- you cannot have someone with a credit card sign for you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hertz accepts 3rd party insurances -- such as having one's own policy -- I think the problem may be with having a debit card --

But I am confused -- did you get a car or not? If so how did you pay?

I think you need to understand how the major rental car companies operate -- from post #4

Trying to pay with my debit card would not work on their machines. Not once did the Hertz employees say we don't accept debit cards. So I had no idea that was the issues. Otherwise I could've gotten some one else with a credit card to sign For me.

The credit card used has to be in the name of the renter -- you cannot have someone with a credit card sign for you.
According to Dwayne, she only bought insurance, did not prepay for a car at all. I’m a little stumped hiw she was able to buy the insurance only.

Sep 19, 2015
According to Dwayne, she only bought insurance, did not prepay for a car at all. I’m a little stumped hiw she was able to buy the insurance only.
I think the insurance was third party insurance from Orbitz? And then the debit card did not work for the rest?

Was it a problem with the card (ie strip would not read) or the credit card terminal? Were other people able to use their cards?

I may be tired and not thinking properly but am still confused.

Jun 24, 2019
If I understand the story correctly, OP reserved a Hertz car on Orbitz. OP states that OP used a debit card to "secure" the rental." I don't know if that means that the debit card was charged or not. OP also bought insurance from Orbitz using OP's debit card. When OP got to Hertz, Hertz said it would not recognize the insurance bought through Orbitz. OP left without taking the car. Hertz has written and said that Hertz had no contract with OP. (I've already commented on this.) Hertz has also advised Orbitz that OP actually got a car, which OP says isn't so.

Hertz will only rent to someone with a credit card, and my understanding is that the renter/credit card holder must be at the counter, or must be Hertz Gold. Someone else can drive other than the renter if included on the reservation (i.e., a spouse) or added. Sometimes, there is a charge.

Maybe OP can come back and confirm, as well as advise what OP would like as a result.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My issue is really with Orbitz not Hertz. Orbitz is insisting I did leave with a car. Orbitz should also be well aware most car rental companies will not accept their third-party insurances.
This is a good example of why we advise booking travel directly. Online booking services don't know anything about insurance. Their business model is based on quantity ... many travellers making many bookings. Most are fine, when there's a problem, it's difficult to get it sorted. When you use them, you really have to do your homework.

Last edited: