Hertz Loyalty Points Expired - Missing corporate good will

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 24, 2019
Hello, I've been a loyal Hertz customer with over 18,000pts earned and a lot of previous Hertz rentals, but my loyalty has been lost with a lack of communications and corporate good will.

I've been caught in a change of program terms that I was unaware of until after my points were deemed expired. I track my rental activity and knew I had until at least October under the original terms but the change in Hertz terms and conditions cut that time from 24 months to 18 months. After some digging I found Hertz had only sent one notice of points expiring about two weeks ahead of their expiration and it went to SPAM so I didn't even see it until well after Hertz deleted all my points. I'm not sure if Hertz even notified consumers directly about the change in program terms. Plus Hertz has always been hard for me to track because they do not clearly state when points are expiring.

I've read the advice from elliott.org and have started from the bottom up, working my way from general customer support all the way through the list of contacts from Hertz executives. I asked kindly if they could look into the matter, thanked the previous representatives and just wanted my points reinstated. Originally I was told they could not look it up because points were deleted but later I was told my situation was thoroughly investigated and that Hertz is declining my request because I did not have activity in the past 18 months. (True, but that's because they changed the rules without me knowing). Hertz then indicated sternly that this was their last and final response to the matter.

Has anyone had better luck in getting points reinstated? I'm disappointed customer loyalty and previous rental history has no merit to Hertz. I've been in correspondence with Hertz for months working my way through the different contacts but with each request for my case to be elevated another reply that nothing can be done. Further I'm still disappointed that Hertz did not do more to notify members of a change in terms which would have saved me and likely many others from watching points be unexpectedly taken away from them.

Dec 19, 2014
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, there are many cases where a well worded letter to the executive team has resulted in points being reinstated for no cost or low cost, but since you are asking for an exception to the rules, results are never guaranteed.

Please take my response as constructive feedback, rather than criticism.
1) The perils of any rewards program is that the administrator can change the rules at any time and with the minimum required notice. In the past few years, hotels, airlines and rental cars have been changing the minimum activity from 24 months to 18 months and it has caught many by surprise.

2) From a business perspective, frequent rewards programs are to reward frequent customers. If you have not had activity in 18 months, you are not a frequent customer and the reality is that the business really doesn't care about you. You say you are a loyal customer, but are you? Business don't care about the past, they seem to only ask "What have you done for me lately?"

3) Holding on or banking points or miles is not a good idea, because over time, your points are guaranteed to depreciate, and you still are subject to the perils of program changes

4) Why have you not had activity in the past 18 months? Is it because you don't travel much anymore? Used a competitor?

My opinion is you will have a much higher success rate in getting the points reinstated if you can convince Hertz that you will be a frequent and loyal customer moving forward. For example, "I had a change in my position that did not require travel, but now I will be traveling frequently again."

Good luck!

May 30, 2019
Hertz has taken several actions to devalue their loyalty program. Reducing the window of activity from 24 to 18 months is only one step. They also devalued the points without notice (also here), so your 18k points are not worth what they were a couple years ago.

There are posts on some frequent travel boards suggesting they take occasional renters for granted while they focus on cut-rate pricing for local rentals and high-end support for very frequent travelers. In other words, you're likely not in their target market anymore.

It appears to me that their POV given their current management is that you are not a loyal customer. The fact that you didn't know about their change, in their eyes, is your problem.

I'd +1 @Chris in NC. Try positioning your communications in a way that suggests that if your lost points are reinstated, you would be more likely to rent with Hertz in the future. You might even want to make a cancelable reservation or two.

Best of luck, and please let us know if you succeed.

Feb 3, 2017
Another suggestion - I routinely check my SPAM folder as I even find some emails in there from people/businesses in my contacts -

You can't take it for granted that some legitimate/important emails may not inadvertently wind up in that folder so maybe duck into it a few times a week to check. That is also a good chance to delete all the junk emails.

Reactions: VoR61
Sep 19, 2015
If the OP had gone through the list of contacts and already been told no and that was the “last and final response” then there may not be any recourse.

Reactions: Skippy

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If one does not check their spam filter on a regular basis, this type of event will occur over and over. Spam filters are computer algorithm based and some are good, some are bad, but all are imperfect and routinely classify very important emails as spam.

Hertz notified you of the change and the fact that the message went to your spam folder is not Hertz' fault or problem.

Reactions: jsn55
Jan 30, 2018
I check my spam folder daily since my email routinely ignores my directions to not put messages from certain senders in my junk folder. And sometimes it decides that some daily messages I have been getting for a long time are now spam. Why? Beats me!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I check my spam folder daily since my email routinely ignores my directions to not put messages from certain senders in my junk folder. And sometimes it decides that some daily messages I have been getting for a long time are now spam. Why? Beats me!
If you are using Gmail you can configure it to always put emails from specific senders into your inbox. I had the same issue with some senders going to spam and fixed it.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/filters

Nov 24, 2019
Thanks all for your responses. Funny how i see all their unimportant emails about deals and everything else, but Hertz could have made a decision to do more, they have my phone number, they have my address, they could have sent a direct email from their customer service that would have stood out, but they chose not to. Sure, they can devalue points and there's lots of information out there that points should be spent rather than saved, but sadly Hertz could have done any number of things but chose not to and word will get around about my story and the stories of many others, each time it further erodes customer base rather than showing they are a company that cares for it's customers, no-matter how often they rent. Because next time, do I choose Hertz or do I (and WE) take a closer look at the alternatives after they have made their decision.

I hoped that Hertz would do more, they knew this would happen and that many people would get caught up in their change of terms, but yet again there is no free lunch when you're playing by house rules.

Dec 19, 2014
Thanks all for your responses. Funny how i see all their unimportant emails about deals and everything else, but Hertz could have made a decision to do more, they have my phone number, they have my address, they could have sent a direct email from their customer service that would have stood out, but they chose not to. Sure, they can devalue points and there's lots of information out there that points should be spent rather than saved, but sadly Hertz could have done any number of things but chose not to and word will get around about my story and the stories of many others, each time it further erodes customer base rather than showing they are a company that cares for it's customers, no-matter how often they rent. Because next time, do I choose Hertz or do I (and WE) take a closer look at the alternatives after they have made their decision.

I hoped that Hertz would do more, they knew this would happen and that many people would get caught up in their change of terms, but yet again there is no free lunch when you're playing by house rules.
yes, Hertz probably did this deliberately but at the same time, frequent traveler programs are intended for frequent travelers. Therefore, if there is no activity in 18+ months, in the eyes of Hertz, you are no longer a frequent traveler. From a business strategy standpoint, it is WHYDFML = what have you done for me lately (or in the future). If, in their analysis, you are no longer a revenue generating customer, you're nothing to them

This is why I (and others) do not advocate using frequent traveler points as a "savings" account. House rules that can be changed anytime.

Unfortunately, due to consolidation in the car rental business, there aren't many alternatives.... Hertz = Hertz + Dollar + Thrifty + Firefly, Avis = Avis + Budget + Payless, Enterprise = Enterprise + Alamo + National
Yup, not much alternatives.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

You should check your Hertz profile. You may have opted out of phone/snail mail contacts and Hertz therefore will not use those methods.

CTP

Dec 26, 2014
There is a difference between a frequent user program for things like airline miles, hotel stays, or rental cars and the rewards programs like those offered by many grocery and department stores or restaurants. With my grocery rewards program I get discounts each time I shop; I do not have to use accumulated points nor does my rewards program expire leaving me with unused points. That may be the issue many have when they discover that the frequent user programs operate very differently. I look at it this way, why does a person get the same discount/point rewards that I get when they have not purchased a product (rental car, hotel stays, airline miles) in the last year or two while I have purchased enough to earn me a top tier status in that same time period? The real lesson learned is to monitor any program you sign up for, and if you have some points ensure you keep them active by researching what the specific program requires. Some airline programs for instance will use activity such as a magazine subscription as an indicator the account is still active and thus preserve the points previously earned. Also understand that the value does not increase, there is no "interest" paid on those points so use them!