Hertz downgrade

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 6, 2015
Hi everyone,

Rented a I-Class (luxury) car from Hertz at Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ), for Dec. 3 9:30AM to Dec 4. 7:00PM.

Upon arrival to the Hertz Gold booth, I saw that the Gold line was empty, and even the balance of the parking was almost empty, with few cars, mostly minivans and compact cars. When I got in the booth, I was offered a Dodge Journey (!). The rep lied to me by saying this was in the luxury class. I refused the car and said this class should at least be a Chrysler 300 or comparable car. (Actually, it is 300C or similar).

Was told to wait, and after 15 minutes he told me my car was ready. Went to my stall, and was offered a silver Chrysler 300. Since I already waited for 15 minutes, I took pictures of the car, checked odometer and left the stall.

While checking out at the exit of the parking, the guy scanned the windshield barcode, gave my the Estimate of Charge and I quicky checked the charges and they were pretty much on par with my reservation (reservation 171.89$, EoC 170.60$), so I figured out I was ok to go.

About 10 minutes later, on my way to my destination 90 kilometers away, I check the key tag and saw car class G on the tag, which is Premium (Buick Lucerne or equivalent). I was disappointed to be downgraded to a lower class car while being charged the premium price. If you closely look at the Estimate of Charge, it says :
Vehicle Class : G
Rate Class : I
Which means I paid the bigger price for a lower class vehicle.

When I got back to the airport, I did not have proper time to get back to the counter as it was full of people picking up their cars.

If I make a new reservation with Hertz today, there is approximately 15$ a day between those two classes.

So what should I do? I feel I've been cheated twice by the guy at the counter for trying to get me 2 cars of lower class that I paid, and even lying about the class of the Journey.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I would contact the location manager and make him/her aware of the events. In doing so, I would avoid any labels (lying, cheating, etc.), especially when it may be the case that the agent simply misinformed you (you can't know the intent).

The manager may or may not credit you for the difference, but if you are overly polite he/she is fr more likely to do so. In any case, $15 is not a large amount (but the principle IS important).

Reactions: jsn55 and Y2Breeze
Dec 6, 2015
Just an added note here, this location in owned by Hertz, it is not a franchise.

Also, total owned would be 30$ as it is 15$/day.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should have turned around when you saw the key or arrived earlier to drop it off to discuss. Once you leave and say nothing, in essence you agreed to the terms.

What you can try now is go to our company contacts list at the top of our pages.

Find the contacts to Hertz and write to customer service. Include your booking number, dates, etc. If the price difference for one day was $15, request a $15 refund.

Give them a week to get back to you, if they don't or if they don't give you the refund, write to the first executive shown. Give him a week to to reply, if they don't refund, move to the next executive.Repeat as needed.

When you said you should be given a 300, they did just that but if they knew it was a few dollars less, they should have automatically changed the pricing.

Unfortunately, even though you can book a certain car type online, in reality they may not have it in stock when you arrive if they didn't have someone return one of the same. But they should always automatically credit you with any price difference.

Let us know how you make out.

Reactions: Y2Breeze

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Just an added note here, this location in owned by Hertz, it is not a franchise.

Also, total owned would be 30$ as it is 15$/day.
I missed that it was 2 days. Even if this location is Hertz-owned, it will still have a manager, who needs to know about your experience. And I'm a fan of giving first-line management an opportunity to "make it right" before escalating.

And sometimes you get a better result than if you go higher up the food chain ...

Reactions: Y2Breeze

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
And I'd say he also should have told me it was a downgrade.
I agree, instead of hiding the facts, the agent should have adjusted the charges on the spot, thanked you for your patience and patronage, and sent you on your way happy. Instead, they annoyed a very good customer, got themselves pilloried at Elliott ... and for what? Memo to Corporations: Empower your Employees!! Anything else is short-sighted.

Reactions: VoR61