hertz cleaning fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2020
I was charged for 150$ cleaning fee after returning the vehicle, the hertz Somerville location has cited the cause of pet hair removal. Personally, I strived to maintain a high level of cleanness during the rental period as a responsibility, including put a towel over the seat and shaking off the hair on the surface. During the past several rentals I’ve conducted with Hertz in just the past month, the pet hair was never an issue when I returned the car.

With that being said, I don’t think the charge was fair and I can only interpret this as the rental location trying to offload their cleaning duty to the car shop and passing down the cost to the end customer. For the context, the location was severely short-staffed, I waited exactly 78 minutes in line on a Saturday morning waiting outside in the 90-degree weather just to pick up the vehicle, and it took me an extra day to receive the rental record after returning the car.

Dec 19, 2014
... With that being said, I don’t think the charge was fair and I can only interpret this as the rental location trying to offload their cleaning duty to the car shop and passing down the cost to the end customer...
As a owner of a high shedding dog, I can personally attest that if my dog goes into any car, no matter how careful I am, there will be residual dog hair.

So, this boils down to exactly how was the condition of the car upon its return. You state that you "strived to maintain a high level of cleanness" but that doesn't mean that you returned it hair free. The location that charged you may have been overzealous, or may not have.

Do you have any proof that the car was returned in the same condition? Do you have photos of the interior upon return? Do you have any written documentation upon return that the car was returned? Due to questionable methods that rental car agencies use, I make it a habit to record and photograph the return process. But, that's because I've seen too many stories like yours.

Write a letter to the Hertz executive team as outlined in this forum. Leave out accusations and stick to the facts: I returned the car in the original condition. Kindly ask to see what "proof" the location has.

In the future, consider crating your dog in the vehicle.

Good luck

Skippy

May 30, 2019
As both a frequent renter and a dog owner, I agree with almost everything in the prior post from @Chris in NC. "Striving to maintain a high level of cleanness" isn't the same as actually doing it. If I were the subsequent renter and noticed hair in my vehicle, I would not accept the rental -- especially if I were on a business trip, I would find it unacceptable for the prior renter's hair to possibly transfer to my clothes. And it's not always clear if the hairs are human or canine.

The only thing I disagree with is crating the dog as a means to avoid a dirty return. That won't help much, especially if it is a high-shedding breed. Those hairs get everywhere. I have to vacuum my car every time my doggie goes for a ride.

When the OP writes to Hertz, the letter should be polite by firm in requesting documentation that there was damage or the car was returned in an unacceptable condition.
For the context, the location was severely short-staffed, I waited exactly 78 minutes in line on a Saturday morning waiting outside in the 90-degree weather just to pick up the vehicle, and it took me an extra day to receive the rental record after returning the car.
Sadly, this is not relevant to the billing issue. It would be in the your best interests not to mention this when writing to Hertz.

A few more things to note:
  • Check the T&C of your rental. Did the rental allow for a pet? (Some do not.) Did you pay a pet fee in advance? (Some allow for this in lieu of cleaning.)
  • Hertz is going through Bankruptcy proceedings. They cut back on customer service prior to and after filing for Bankruptcy. And, they are sadly not known for being customer-friendly to begin with. So, the expectations of a timely and favorable reply are low.
  • There is a risk that this situation drags on for so long that Hertz sends the find over to a Collections Agency. When they happens, it could screw up your credit rating.
In might be in your best interests to make one attempt for consideration, then just pay the fine and never rent from Hertz ever again. (There may be a possibility that in 3 months, Hertz will disappear and be dismantled, so there you go.)

All MHO. Hope this helps.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
One would hope that someone transporting a dog in a rental vehicle would vaccum the vehicle before returning it. A "high level of cleanness" doesn't really apply to hairs all over the vehicle. I'm a horse person, so I don't care about animal hair, but I believe that it is difficult to remove from the soft surfaces of a vehicle. $150 seems to be a high penalty for an attendant having to spend an extra twenty minutes cleaning up the vehicle. I'd ask them to reduce the penalty to $50.

Reactions: Neil Maley

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I was charged for 150$ cleaning fee after returning the vehicle, the hertz Somerville location has cited the cause of pet hair removal. Personally, I strived to maintain a high level of cleanness during the rental period as a responsibility, including put a towel over the seat and shaking off the hair on the surface. During the past several rentals I’ve conducted with Hertz in just the past month, the pet hair was never an issue when I returned the car.

With that being said, I don’t think the charge was fair and I can only interpret this as the rental location trying to offload their cleaning duty to the car shop and passing down the cost to the end customer. For the context, the location was severely short-staffed, I waited exactly 78 minutes in line on a Saturday morning waiting outside in the 90-degree weather just to pick up the vehicle, and it took me an extra day to receive the rental record after returning the car.
You returned a vehicle with visible animal hair. Hertz MUST clean the vehicle before renting it again. If I was the next renter and the car was not cleaned adequately I would refuse the vehicle. You are fortunate that the fee was only $150. Often the cleaning fees are $250+.

If you take your dog in a rental, expect to pay a cleaning fee. You have been fortunate in the past to avoid the fee. That was good luck and the lack of adequate inspection by Hertz.