Hertz claims damage, I'm asking for proof, Collection agency isn't responding anymore, what next?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 24, 2020
Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can provide me with guidance on how to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance!

Short version:

I was contacted by D&A Group Services (collection agency) on behalf of Hertz. They claim that I caused damage to windshield. Both the agent that handled the return of the car rental and I did no notice any damage. I've been going back and forth asking for proof that it wasn't done after I return the car but they are not providing me with this information - they provided me with everything else - and now they are no longer replying to my emails or telephone calls.

Long version:

Dec 27, 2019 - Jan 5, 2020:

I rented a 2019 Santa Fe from Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau (Dorval) airport, while I was visiting family for Christmas.

Feb 7, 2020:
I receive a voicemail from the D&A Group Service, on behalf of Hertz Retnal, in regards to damage to the vehicle I rented last month and to call them back to further discuss the outstanding balance

Is it normal to receive a call about this a month later? Also, why wouldn't Hertz notify me directly of this issue?

I was suspicious of the call since Hertz had not called or written to me directly. I therefore called Hertz to confirm that it's not a scam of anything. I asked them what outstanding balances I had. The agent answered that there were none now that the toll bridge invoice had been paid (I paid it online). I explained the situation and they said they didn't see anything about damage.

I called D&A Group Service to investigate if this was a real or a scam. The representative asserted that it was on behalf of Hertz and that the agent I called wouldn't know about it; that it's only available with Hertz corporate? I asked why I hadn't received anything from Hertz Corporate or the airport rental location. She said I should have received something but I hadn't. So I asked her to have the paperwork forwarded to my email so that I could confirm things.

I received the following email:

Dear Mr. ########,

My name is ######## and I am contacting you on behalf of Hertz/Dollar Thrifty Central Recovery. I have received a report regarding the damage to the Hertz/Dollar Thrifty vehicle during your rental period in January 2020. I will be handling the damage process. The amount due for the damages is $570.54 CAD. Please let me know how you will be paying for the damages, if you have opened an insurance claim, I will need the claim number and the insurance company/adjusters information.
Please let me know if you have any questions. My contact information is listed below and email is the best form of contact.
Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

########

Claims Recovery Department

I sent the following reply that same day:

Good afternoon ########,

I've received your email. Thank you for providing me with further details following our phone call last Friday. Additionally, could you forward me the following items?

- Copy of the original agreement and receipt.

- Copy of the incident report.

- Date and Time-stamped photos of the damage.

- Photo of the odometer when the damage was noted.

- Copy of the invoice showing the repair cost estimated and fee breakdown.

As I mentioned previously, I wish to confirm that this claim is truly coming from Hertz in relation to my rental. The paperwork that I received from the agent that handled my return , including the vehicle inspection, did not note or mention any damages to me. I'm sure you can understand that I'm a little suspicious to be receiving such a claim a month later.

Regards,

########

Feb 10, 2020:

The representative replied back:

Good Day,

Please see the attached.

I have also included the snippet of your signed pre-inspection sheet indicating that there was no damage prior to you leaving the lot.

Unfortunately there are not photos provided for Glass claims.

Kindest regards,

########

Attached with the above email reply were:

- an image of the "pre-rental inspection" form.
- a letter of representation
- rental record / invoice
- vehicle accident report
- invoice from repair shop

But there were no photos of the damage or odometer, nor the rental return inspection form.

Feb 11, 2020:

I sent the following reply back:

Good afternoon ########,

Thank you for providing me with the agreement contract, receipt, pre-rental inspection, incident report, and invoice of repair cost. It is clear to me that this is indeed a claim from Hertz which was one of my concern: was I being scammed. My second concern was whether the vehicle indeed incurred damage during my rental period.

As I stated in my previous email & call, the Hertz agent handling the return of the rental vehicle and I did not observe any damage to the vehicle when we did our inspection. I did not see a copy of that report / inspection form attached to your email. Could you provide it to me? You can see how I'm a bit suspicious of this claim given that no damage was found at that time and that there is a report filed the next day, January 6, 2020, claiming there is a crack in the windshield. How am I to know that this did not happen after I dropped off the rental? My responsibility ends upon handing the keys and the agent handling the return signs-off. There's no photos of the damage and odometer with the date and time stamped on the photos proving this.

I'm willing to cooperate if indeed I am responsible but what I'm being presented right now leaves much to speculate.

Regards,

########

Feb 20, 2020:

I sent a follow-up email seeing how they had not replied in over a week:

Good evening ########,

I wish to confirm that you have received my previous email and to know if you were able to secure the post-rental (return) inspection report form. This will help us in determining if the damage occurred after the return of the vehicle or prior to it?

Regards,

########

Feb 21, 2020:

The representative sent me the following reply:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.
I have spoken with the claims coordinator at head office, who has looked into previous rental records and has advised that there was no pre-existing damage prior to your rental. Damage was noted when the vehicle was returned and inspected.

Kindest Regards,

########

Feb 24, 2020:

I persisted in asking to be provided with the inspection form was that filled-out when I returned the car.

Good afternoon ########,

I understand that according to head office's records, and the pre-rental inspection document you previously provided, that it shows there was no damage to my rental vehicle. I'm not questioning that fact. What I am questioning is whether the vehicle incurred the damage during my rental period or after the agent handling the return inspected the vehicle and took possession of the keys. I have not yet received a copy of that inspection form which was completed with me by the agent when I returned the vehicle. As I have previously stated, the return agent and I did not observe any damage to the vehicle during the inspection upon its return. I therefore wish to confirm that this damage did not occur after I handed the keys. That is why I'm requesting copies of the inspection form that was filled out by the agent upon my return of the rental vehicle, photos of the damage with timestamp and of the odometer with timestamp.

Regards,

########

March 10, 2020:

I sent another follow-up email after waiting 2 weeks for a reply back:

Good afternoon ########,

I haven't heard from you regarding my previous reply asking for the rental car's inspection form which would show whether the agent identified any damages. I require proof that the damage was indeed done during my rental and not after I handed the keys to the agent handling the rental and having performed the inspection.

Regards,

########

I don't know where things stand now. I tried calling them and left voicemail asking them to call me back but nothing yet. Seeing how it's almost a month later now, I doubt they are going to return any of my calls or reply to my emails. Right?

What's my next step now? Should I be reaching out to Hertz executive by sending an email to executivecustomerservice at hertz.com and/or Tyler Dossett and Laura Smith?

Thank you all for the help!

- Eric

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Stop writing to the collection agency and start writing to Hertz. The executives are the ones who get these dropped, not the collection agency - who isn’t paid unless they collect
from you.

Follow the information in here and use our company contacts at Hertz.

Mar 24, 2020
Stop writing to the collection agency and start writing to Hertz. The executives are the ones who get these dropped, not the collection agency - who isn’t paid unless they collect
from you.

Follow the information in here and use our company contacts at Hertz.

Neil,

Thanks for the advice. I wrote a letter and sent it to Tyler Dossett via email. I gave it two weeks given current events but I have not heard back. I'm getting ready to send the letter to next executive, Laura Smith, Senior VP of Customer Experience but before doing so, I was wondering about two things:

1) Would it yield better result if I printed and mailed it via FedEx or UPS? Or is email appropriate still? At what point, if any, would you sent via courrier?

2) Is the letter that I wrote appropriate and effective? I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me your feedback.

Here's the letter I had sent:

Eric A. Gravel
[my address]
Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Tyler Dossett
Senior Director of Customer Experience
The Hertz Corporation
8501 Williams Road
Estero, FL, 33928

Dear Mr. Dossett

On December 27th, 2019, I rented a 2019 Santa Fe, from the Pierre E. Trudeau airport, in Montreal, Canada, in order to visit family members living in Québec and in Ontario during our Christmas vacation. The service we received from your team in Montreal was outstanding considering our late arrival in Montréal at midnight. We returned the vehicle to the airport on January 5th, 2020. The RA number is [removed], invoice number [removed], reservation number [removed].

On February 7th, 2020 I received an unexpected voicemail and subsequent emails from [removed], a claims recovery agent for the D&A Group Services in Toronto, requesting payment for alleged damage to the vehicle’s windshield.

After confirming the authenticity of the request – I wasn’t sure if it was a scam of some sort - I asked Mrs. [removed] to provide me with the following documents. All but the return inspection form and date/time-stamped photos of the damage and odometer were graciously provided on February 10th.
  • Copy of the original agreement and receipt.
  • Copy of the incident report.
  • Copy of the invoice showing the repair cost estimated and fee breakdown.
  • Return inspection form signed by handling agent and customer.
  • Date and Time-stamped photos of the damage.
  • Photo of the odometer when the damage was noted.
I have requested several times since, both via email and voicemail, to be provided with the return inspection form and photos, which I believe would show whether damages were indeed observed by both the agent handling the vehicle’s return and myself. It is my belief that the damages were incurred after I returned the vehicle.

To resolve the problem, I would appreciate your assistance is dismissing the claim and informing D&A Group Services. I can provide the records Mrs. Taylor has sent me if needed.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem. I will wait a week before seeking third-party assistance. Please contact me via email ([removed]) or telephone ([removed]).

Sincerely,

Eric A. Gravel

Mar 24, 2020
You letter is very good but in my email to Laura Smith,I would mention you sent an email to Tyler Dossett on xx/XX/XX and never received a response.
Good point!

Is your opinion is to continue sending it via email? Would you ever print and send it via courrier (FedEx)?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Email and only to the car rental company, not the collection agency. You can mail anything but it’s going to be signed for by a mail room clerk and will probably never get further then an assistant.

Almost every consumer that had followed our post on how to fight these has the case dropped. The key is to not deal with the collection agency and deal with the car rental executives. The executives are the ones that get these dropped.

Reactions: Marjorie Pinard

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Just as a side note regarding lack of executive response.
Hertz was in trouble before the pandemic. Hertz then has a massive layoff at Corp headquarters in SW FL.
It’s possible that no one has yet seen your emails.
I would keep trying but the contacts need to be verified at this point. Your emails could be going to dead email addresses.

Reactions: Pixie Pie
Mar 24, 2020
mmb,

I had a similar thought when I read the news a few weeks ago that they might be filling for bankruptcy. Any suggestions as to how I'd go about finding valid contacts?

Mar 24, 2020
Neil,

That's what I'm using. It sounded like what MMB was saying above, is that the execs might not be reading emails or possibly might not be employed with the company anymore given the covid-19 situation and/or the fact that they are having financial troubles and considering filing for bankruptcy (according to the news reports).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Financials should have nothing to do with this unless these people are furloughed until the situation gets better. It’s more like they may be working from home and don’t have admins working that might be assisting with things like this.
Plus they may be dealing with thousands of pre-paid reservations that are a bigger priority now.

Just be patient and give the executives a substantial amount of time to respond.

Mar 24, 2020
Kind of my thoughts as well. That's partly why I waited at least 2 weeks, rather than the recommended 1 week, to email the next exec.

Alright, I sent my email off to Laura and we'll go from there in about 2-3 weeks. I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks again for all the advice and info!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
that article is dated April 20 2020
some of those 10,000 layoffs could very well be executives who are on our contact list.
your emails could be sitting in mailboxes which aren’t being opened.
hopefully switching to another executive will work.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
that article is dated April 20 2020
some of those 10,000 layoffs could very well be executives who are on our contact list.
your emails could be sitting in mailboxes which aren’t being opened.
hopefully switching to another executive will work.
Hertz also avoided filing for bankruptcy by minutes this week. They have been given until May 22 to fix things; they may not be successful.

Mar 24, 2020
Quick update,

I still have not heard back from either Mrs. Smith nor Mr. Dossett. I'll be sending my email to the CEO now I guess. Hoping for a response and positive outcome.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Quick update,

I still have not heard back from either Mrs. Smith nor Mr. Dossett. I'll be sending my email to the CEO now I guess. Hoping for a response and positive outcome.
Hertz has filed for bankruptcy. Do not expect a timely response, if any. They have other priorities (like remaining in business).

Mar 24, 2020
@weihlac

Yes, I understand. That's why I decided to wait a month rather then the suggested 1 week before escalating to the next exec level.

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2020
Well this is not good! I just receive a system response. Not sure what to do about it now. Ideas?

Mail Delivery Subsystem <[email protected]>
Thu 6/11/2020 11:11 AM

Damage Claim Resolution - RA #
107 KB
The original message was received at Thu, 11 Jun 2020 09:59:50 -0500
from m0081204.ppops.net [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>
(reason: 554 5.4.14 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop ATTR34 [BN3NAM04FT047.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com])

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to hertz-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 554 5.4.14 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop ATTR34 [BN3NAM04FT047.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Well this is not good! I just receive a system response. Not sure what to do about it now. Ideas?

Mail Delivery Subsystem <[email protected]>
Thu 6/11/2020 11:11 AM

Damage Claim Resolution - RA #
107 KB
The original message was received at Thu, 11 Jun 2020 09:59:50 -0500
from m0081204.ppops.net [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>
(reason: 554 5.4.14 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop ATTR34 [BN3NAM04FT047.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com])

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to hertz-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 554 5.4.14 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop ATTR34 [BN3NAM04FT047.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
It is quite possible that all of the Hertz emails on this site are no longer valid as they have laid off staff at all levels. The same thing happened with the Sears bankruptcy in 2018. It will take time (as in many months or even longer) for the dust to settle and for Hertz to reorganize. Plus there is some concern that Hertz may have to liquidate and cease operations.

• Wow