Hertz charging for damages (smoking) after the inspection was complete without notifying the customer

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 20, 2019
Hi
My wife of over 20 years rented a car from Hertz at Phoenix Sky Harbor. When she returned the car she stayed with the attendant until the inspection was completed. Three days after she arrived home, she noticed that there was an extra $300 charge. We called to inquire about the $300 and was told it was for smoking. We laughed and explained that my wife doesn’t smoke, never has. We asked why this wasn’t brought up during the inspection and the customer service lady said that was their mistake and apologized but still refused to refund her money. I even got the lady to admit that there was no evidence and that there is no evidence of an attendant telling this problem to my wife. I begged and pleaded and she said that this was a valid charge. I asked how she came to this conclusion with no evidence or even a notation of the attendant telling wife during inspection. Please help I feel like I’ve been robbed.

Oct 20, 2019
Yes I will start the process. It is so frustrating that a company can charge a person without no evidence or even a picture or a notation from the attendant that the customer was made aware. What’s the point of the inspection at the return if potential issues are not addressed while the customer is present?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It’s a pain, but following the advice from the link @Neil Maley gave you will result in a refund. BUT word of caution, be very professional and polite in your correspondence regardless of the fact you think they stole from you.

Reactions: Pixie Pie and VoR61

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
When you reach out to the corporate level, it is important that you present only the facts and allow those to lead them to the proper conclusion.

Specifically, I would avoid words like " I feel like I’ve been robbed", and "It's called stealing". She (not you) should tell them:

I stayed with the attendant until the inspection was completed. No problems were identified.​
Customer Service has verified that there was no evidence and that there is no evidence of an attendant telling me this problem.​

The contacts for Hertz are here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Rental car firms charging every customer for the same minor ding is bad enough, but this new smoking scam is absolutely maddening. Even people who are scrupulous about taking pictures of the car when it's returned are not safe from this one.

Reactions: Patina
Oct 20, 2019
I talked to a customer service rep several times trying to understand how they could charge the $300 with out mentioning during the inspection, documenting the issue or making a notation of the evidence that was found to warrant this charge. Hertz rep stated that I must not rent cars very often because I don’t know how the rental car business works. They stated that it’s normal to make charges without explanation, documentation or proof of any kind. Well I have decided after that comment that I will do anything necessary to secure a full refund for these unfounded charges. They are trained to pushback hoping that the customer, right or wrong, will just give up. Not this time, they have insulted me for the last time

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I talked to a customer service rep several times trying to understand how they could charge the $300 with out mentioning during the inspection, documenting the issue or making a notation of the evidence that was found to warrant this charge. Hertz rep stated that I must not rent cars very often because I don’t know how the rental car business works. They stated that it’s normal to make charges without explanation, documentation or proof of any kind. Well I have decided after that comment that I will do anything necessary to secure a full refund for these unfounded charges. They are trained to pushback hoping that the customer, right or wrong, will just give up. Not this time, they have insulted me for the last time
Unfortunately it IS becoming the norm. While we can take pictures to show the physical condition at pick up and drop off we can’t do anything about smoking fees if they don’t find ashes.

Please use our company contacts and write as we tell you to. You can also dispute the charge in your credit card but it’s better to get the executives to drop it for you. This could easily have been whoever rented it after you too. Just follow our process. It almost always gets these claims dropped as long as the process is followed.

Reactions: Patina