Here is what not to do if you aren't at the gate at the time printed on your boarding pass

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Wow.....and people think the airlines are difficult! What a testament to the gate agents, they never raised their voices nor got confrontational. That girl is so unprofessional and lacks the intelligence to be doing surgery on any living thing, what an embarrassment.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
If they gave away the seats right in front of them, that is upsetting. Obv the behavior was extreme. My last flight, I literally was paged at the airport and was the last person on the plane. I ran barefoot but they didn't give away my seat. Were either of them actually arrested? . It seems a skilled employee could have talked them down and solved this so that nearby children, anxious travelers did not have to endure the profanity.
Airlines need to work harder on employee training to deescalate these situations, especially when they occur in the sky.

Reactions: mmb
Sep 19, 2015
Wow. What restraint the airline employees had.

Tip for passengers: if you are going to lie about your professional responsibilities, get your story straight and make it credible:

Male: "She has open heart surgery tomorrow". Which leads to ...someone will die and it is the airlines fault.

Female: "The surgery is tonight"

Female: "I am a cardiologist"

Sooo pretending that you will be stepping off a plane and right into your scrubs is not credible. Also cardiologists perform more minor surgical procedures, open heart surgery is done by cardiothoracic surgeons.

It sounds as if this lovely couple just did not get to the airport in time as they mentioned waiting for check in, TSA, and the bus to the small terminal -- does not sound like an issue with a connection.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If they gave away the seats right in front of them, that is upsetting. Obv the behavior was extreme. My last flight, I literally was paged at the airport and was the last person on the plane. I ran barefoot but they didn't give away my seat. Were either of them actually arrested? . It seems a skilled employee could have talked them down and solved this so that nearby children, anxious travelers did not have to endure the profanity.
Airlines need to work harder on employee training to deescalate these situations, especially when they occur in the sky.
Oh brother @AAGK, the gate agents were incredibly calm! What more can you ask of them?!? Their job description does not include hand holding and anger management. They are not psychologists or even therapists. They are airport gate agents. Those pasengers are two adults that need to take responsibility for their own emotional issues not leave it to airline employees to talk them off the ledge. Its called personal responsibility. Something clearly lacking these days.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, the husband was arrested. If you saw it to the end, you ca n see him being cuffed by the gate.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
  • WHEN will this country wake up and arrest people like this for disturbing the peace? Until people are punished for bad behaviour, it will continue to escalate. This is a perfect example. No airline agent should ever have to deal with this level of hostility.
As far as expecting to have your way when you don't know the rules and don't show up on time ... people who pitch fits like this shouldn't be reaccommodated, their tix should be cancelled and they should be sent on their way. If they create a scene, have them arrested. It wouldn't take very long for the dopes out there to stop acting like idiots in public.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
They will probably write Elliott asking for help, stating the gate agents were rude and wouldn't let them on the plane! :rolleyes:
Y'all know how we all have agreed to be polite and helpful to everyone, right? If we can't be that, then we should stay mum. Well, if these idiots posted their problem here, I'll bet that there would be a VERY BIG BLANK space in the response section!

Reactions: Patina and ADM

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I wonder what would have happened if he had kept calm. Maybe they would have relented.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't know if they could have taken the stand by people off once they assigned the seats.

There are two ways I looked at this. They said their bags were checked and they were waiting for a airline bus.

It sounds like they may have been on a connecting flight - if that was true, the connection was not long enough, which we have gone over with consumers hundreds of times.

If they weren't on a connecting flight and got to the gate too late there may have been a long security line.

Regardless of which way the story went they simply were too late. Again you need to be at the gate by the time that is printed on the boarding pass which is usually at least a half hour before the flight is to leave.

Another thing I noticed- SHE has way too much carry on for the flight.

Reactions: Vinkin and jsn55

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I think for most airlines the rule is 20 minutes, the time on the boarding pass is a guideline. However at 20 minutes they can give your seat away. At 10 minutes they can (and often will) close the doors and not open them even if the plane is still there. Another thing that sometimes happens is that they move the departure time earlier by 5 or 10 minutes, I had that happen to me once when I was already running late. Fortunately I made it just in time.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
"Another thing I noticed- SHE has way too much carry on for the flight." I noticed that too!

In the end, for me, it isn't about why they were late to the gate but how horrible they were behaving. That guy was so aggressive with both his speech and his body language. There is hardly a scenario that warrants behavior like that. What I find interesting is that no one approached the couple, smart move on everyone's part because they most likely would have ended up with a bloody nose!

Nov 14, 2016
I wonder what would have happened if he had kept calm. Maybe they would have relented.
That is highly unlikely. At this point they had already boarded the standby passengers. If they removed the standby passengers at this point - with them having a boarding pass and seats - they're on the hook for denied boarding compensation. At that point the standby passengers have fully complied with ticketing, check in and reconfirmation procedures. They're no longer classified as standby.

Not to mention trying to remove them opens up the possibility of another Dr. Dao type incident. No airline is going to want that. So between the possibility of compensation being owed and yet another black eye for an airline, that's really not likely to happen.

As for how early you have to arrive to get your flight, domestically:
- Delta, JetBlue and United is 15 minutes early or they can give your seats away.
- AA and Southwest is 10 minutes.