Help with a refund from All About Australia, they are asking for a $1000 cancellation fee for a $4000 trip

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 19, 2020
Our trip to Australia was supposed to take place on 3/28/20. We signed a waver saying we agree to postpone the trip to next year same time. Than we receive an email from All_About_Australia urging us to cancel our trip but asking us to pay a $1000 cancellation fee. This is for a $4000 trip. Is this acceptable??? What can I do to get the full refund?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you are postponing the trip, why are they charging you a fee?

Whether you are due a refund or not depends on the terms in your original agreement. Did they cancel the trip? If they did, what do the original terms say if they cancel? Are you entitled to a refund?

Reactions: jsn55
May 19, 2020
Well, they are not charging a fee for postponing the trip, which we agreed to at first, but now they are saying that travel to Australia won't probably happen until 2023 and they strongly recommend for us to cancel the trip. Here is what they are saying: ' If you wish to take the risk moving forward by not securing a refund, this is your choice – but I don’t recommend it.'
I am worried that they might go out of business by than.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I also can’t find a company called All About Australia - do you have a link to the website?

I don’t think that is true about Australia but it sounds like they want you to cancel the trip so they can charge you a fee.

I would tell them either they refund your entire payment or you will file a dispute with your credit card company.

Did they actually cancel the tour?

Reactions: Pixie Pie and jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is what I would do- tell them since you agreed to the deferral, if they cannot meet their obligation as the tour operator, you want to see their terms and conditions that address what you are due if they can’t provide you with the tour you paid for and that you will not cancel and be faced with a cancellation penalty since they are telling you they won’t be able to rebook your trip.

You have it in writing from them stating that they cannot provide you with the service you paid for and you will contact their Attorney General in Texas if they don’t provide you with a refund.

It is despicable they are telling you to cancel and pay a fee.

May 19, 2020
Thank you for suggestion Neil! I really appreciate it! I'll do what you are suggesting. Keep your fingers crossed.

May 19, 2020
Hi Neil, here is the answer I received from All About Australia. I asked them to lower their fee and they just ignored my request for their terms and condition but said this:

I thank you for your response but there are a few things maybe not quite right.

• The CC fees were already built into your trip cost – if I could refund them I would (I have already tried with the CC company).
  • Thank you for acknowledging that we have worked hard on your behalf. We have gone well over & above our scope of work to advocate & negotiate on your behalf the $3724.49 we have been able to secure for you as a refund. The administrative fees applied do not cover the labor hours spent on your behalf (pls note I have already extended to you an industry discount).

Whilst you feel it is unjust – I know we have worked VERY hard to support you behind the scenes. The Covid-19 is an extraordinary circumstance that has required significant tenacity on my teams behalf. We are in no way responsible for what has happened but absolutely defended our clients to ensure they were protected.

If you cannot see the value in the services we have provided both to initially create your dream vacation but to also manage the situation to enable a significant refund then it will likely be my disappointment that will be greater than yours. I know completely we have done the right thing by you – 100%

My offer in good faith is firm, I truly hope you can appreciate what we have done for you. If not – I will note your file as a cancellation & refund decline.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did they actually cancel the tour? They still aren’t answering the question. There is no way credit card fees cost $1000.
There might be currency conversion fees but I can’t see them being that high.

I would tell turn you deferred the trip and will not cancel it due to the fees and you expect they will deliver the tour you paid for next year.

You might also want to call your credit card company and see if they can file a dispute on your behalf.

Then write to the Attorney General in Texas, where they do business. I can’t see this being legal but we aren’t attorneys.

My colleagues might have some other ideas.

May 19, 2020
They never said that they cancelled the tour. They just deferred it. We were not allowed to enter Australia at our scheduled date, so I assume the tour got cancelled, but nothing was said about it.

I already filed a dispute with my cc company, however I am not sure if About Australia will fight it. they might come back and say I agreed to defer my trip and am not eligible for a refund at all. I am just super scared that whatever I say they will hold against me and tell my cc company that I agreed to a deferral and I won't see a penny out of this, and of course I don't want to use them in the future, since they are super shady.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
They just said in their reply they got $3724.49 as a refund for you - but then tell you they're only going to give you $3000 of it for "credit card fees" if you cancel on their urging? That just seems all around weird.

I would ask them what in the world the $1000 admin fee does cover then if it doesn't cover any hours worked. Credit card fees are usually only a few percent.

Apr 10, 2017
I'm not a math whiz, but I'm reading the cost of the tour as $4213 and the refund as $3724, so a 'fee' of $489, not $1000. And with no details of the T&C nor of the components of the tour, it's uncertain what was agreed. Working with assumptions that there is no agreement for a full refund and that vendors that the tour operator deals with might not be willing to refund, on the surface the refund offer seems reasonable.

May 19, 2020
Sorry for not being clear. My trip cost was $4213, of which they are offering to refund $3724.49 and here is what they propose:
1589923428231.png

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I'm not a math whiz, but I'm reading the cost of the tour as $4213 and the refund as $3724, so a 'fee' of $489, not $1000. And with no details of the T&C nor of the components of the tour, it's uncertain what was agreed. Working with assumptions that there is no agreement for a full refund and that vendors that the tour operator deals with might not be willing to refund, on the surface the refund offer seems reasonable.
I am reading it the same....$500 less than full cost of the trip. If it were me, I would take that offer and run as long as they actually refund you.

May 19, 2020
Good point, I guess the amount held in escrow was already lower than what we paid. We actually paid $4494, and at first they offered me a refund of $3524.49, than I tried to reason with them and they agreed to refund me $3724.49, but it looks like from everyone's comments here I should accept the refund of $3724.49 is that right?

Apr 10, 2017
Good point, I guess the amount held in escrow was already lower than what we paid. We actually paid $4494, and at first they offered me a refund of $3524.49, than I tried to reason with them and they agreed to refund me $3724.49, but it looks like from everyone's comments here I should accept the refund of $3724.49 is that right?
I guess that it depends on how much you want to visit Australia, but you can't predict what the conditions will be. I'm hoping that there'll be a vaccine by early next year. But if you want a refund, it looks acceptable to me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I can't tell if $3724 refund makes sense or not. You've stated three or four different sets of numbers so far. This is the latest: "We actually paid $4494 ...". please double-check that number. From the email, it appears to me that this might be a very small operation. Telling you that Aus won't "open" until 2023 is just plain weird. Unless this tour operator comes highly recommended or you've used them before, I think I'd be spooked enough by now to just take whatever they're offering as a refund.

May 19, 2020
Very good points everyone is making here. I think I’ll just take the refund and chuck it up to experience. Don’t know this vendor at all so yes don’t trust them much.

Reactions: Pixie Pie