Help senior get the trip they paid for

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The problem once again is the cruise lines using minimally trained sales people acting like travel agents.
I agree! When it comes to documentation, the only proper answer is "You need to check with the (blank) authorities." These ding-a-ling call center people are too busy taking orders and working toward bonuses to do their jobs properly.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018
I agree! When it comes to documentation, the only proper answer is "You need to check with the (blank) authorities. These ding-a-ling call center people are too busy taking orders and working toward bonuses to do their jobs properly.
Except that if they had checked on-line, they would have found the same info Neil pointed out that all they needed was a driver's license and birth certificate. So Sal would have still been in the same predicament.

Jun 24, 2019
This is exactly where a travel agent could have helped. We are telling everyone bring both because the cruise lines have not officially changed anything on their websites with respect to the new REAL ID requirements.
People should bring a passport, regardless of the ability to travel on a closed loop cruise with a driver's license and birth certificate. If you need to leave the cruise early and fly home, the lack of a passport may cause delay or, worse, turning into a modern day version of Charlie on the MTA.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
People should bring a passport, regardless of the ability to travel on a closed loop cruise with a driver's license and birth certificate. If you need to leave the cruise early and fly home, the lack of a passport may cause delay or, worse, turning into a modern day version of Charlie on the MTA.
I agree with this except for the fact that some people still do not have a passport and have no inclination to get one. Why? I have no idea because it literally opens the world to you to explore.

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 24, 2019
I agree with this except for the fact that some people still do not have a passport and have no inclination to get one. Why? I have no idea because it literally opens the world to you to explore.
In the case of our OP, they don't have birth certificates, so they would first need to secure birth certificates, and then passports. They saved a while for this trip, and perhaps expect to take no other overseas trips.

In OP's case, the entire dispute hinges on what the cruise line told him. My experience is that such calls are recorded, and in one instance a cruise line (I'll only use initials) we'll call RCCL, extracted calls from more than two years earlier. In OP's case, the call is more recent. Even if not recorded , the written script and training may provide the answer. If OP is not successful with the e-mail route, I would urge Chris to take this one up. This is a very significant loss for these folks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Patina is right. We constantly warn clients in writing of what can happen if they have to fly home in an emergency. No one can force them to get a passport for a closed loop cruise. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. We ensure we have it in writing to them so they can't come back and say "you didn't tell me". We did indeed have a client who had to leave in an emergency and it ended up costing her nearly $2,000 between getting two emergency passports, changing her flights and a hotel overnight in Mexico before she could get home. Thankfully my wife had the email she sent warning the customer before they cruised.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
As I mentioned earlier in this string, we might be able to help. I've asked Mr. Friscia for more specifics --what day and time did he call Carnival, name of the employee, etc and I'm waiting for him to provide that information. When we directly mediate a case with an executive resolution team, we need more details than "someone told me." Carnival can check phone records, but we need additional information before we can mediate on this couple's behalf. However, this would still be a request for a goodwill gesture consideration.

In the end, every cruise contract I've ever seen points out that it is the passenger's responsibility to find out what identification is required for their cruise. Passengers should never make a phone call to an 800 number and ask an anonymous employee what kind of documents they need to travel.

Two weeks ago we had a very similar case that involved NCL. But in that case, the would-be passenger had a written statement from the cruise consultant specifically telling her that she didn't need a visa (she did). NCL decided to share the responsibility in that case and gave the family a cruise credit. These tips at the bottom of that article are meant to help other cruisers from ending up in this situation:
https://www.elliott.org/cruises/bring-correct-id-missed-cruise-stories/

Here’s how you can make sure you have the correct ID for your next cruise
Today, the internet makes it easier than ever to make sure you have the correct ID to cruise to any destination. Here are some tips, so that you don’t end up left on the dock as your cruise ship sails away.
  • Visit the Department of State: This site is a fantastic resource for travelers. In fact, The U.S. State Department dedicates an entire section to guidance for cruisers. If you’re a U.S. citizen, you can find everything you need to know about the correct ID required to enter all the destinations on your itinerary, cruise tips, and more.
  • Check with the consulate of any country you’ll be cruising through: Whether online or in-person, you should visit the consulates of all of the countries on your cruise’s itinerary. This is especially true if you have a unique citizen status. You can find most consulates on the internet and can email and ask for specifics about your situation. And if you do, make sure to keep a copy of that email!
  • Visit Global Visa Search (online): Global Visa Search is another great resource for all travelers — not just cruisers. You enter your passport information, your intended destination, and the purpose of your visit, and it tells you if you’ll need a visa. In fact, NCL provides a link to the visa checker website in its cruise contract — if only Motwani had seen it. :(
  • Bookmark the International Airport Travel Association’s (IATA) traveler’s tool: IATA provides a fabulous tool for travelers to determine their required documentation for entry to foreign countries. The professional version of this tool is what many airlines use to decide if you have the correct ID to travel.
  • Read your cruise contract: Motwani’s contract contained many clues that the family might need additional documentation to board the cruise. If she had read it, that information could have prevented this terrible situation. It’s critical that all cruisers carefully go through the pre-travel documentation — the cruise line sends it to you for a reason.
  • Double-check and cross-reference your information: It’s always a good idea not to rely on just one source for your information. So if you want to really make sure you never miss your cruise, flight or entire vacation, double- and even triple-check your data.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As I mentioned earlier in this string, we might be able to help. I've asked Mr. Friscia for more specifics --what day and time did he call Carnival, name of the employee, etc and I'm waiting for him to provide that information. When we directly mediate a case with an executive resolution team, we need more details than "someone told me." Carnival can check phone records, but we need additional information before we can mediate on this couple's behalf. However, this would still be a request for a goodwill gesture consideration.

In the end, every cruise contract I've ever seen points out that it is the passenger's responsibility to find out what identification is required for their cruise. Passengers should never make a phone call to an 800 number and ask an anonymous employee what kind of documents they need to travel.

Two weeks ago we had a very similar case that involved NCL. But in that case, the would-be passenger had a written statement from the cruise consultant specifically telling her that she didn't need a visa (she did). NCL decided to share the responsibility in that case and gave the family a cruise credit. These tips at the bottom of that article are meant to help other cruisers from ending up in this situation:
https://www.elliott.org/cruises/bring-correct-id-missed-cruise-stories/

Here’s how you can make sure you have the correct ID for your next cruise
Today, the internet makes it easier than ever to make sure you have the correct ID to cruise to any destination. Here are some tips, so that you don’t end up left on the dock as your cruise ship sails away.
  • Visit the Department of State: This site is a fantastic resource for travelers. In fact, The U.S. State Department dedicates an entire section to guidance for cruisers. If you’re a U.S. citizen, you can find everything you need to know about the correct ID required to enter all the destinations on your itinerary, cruise tips, and more.
  • Check with the consulate of any country you’ll be cruising through: Whether online or in-person, you should visit the consulates of all of the countries on your cruise’s itinerary. This is especially true if you have a unique citizen status. You can find most consulates on the internet and can email and ask for specifics about your situation. And if you do, make sure to keep a copy of that email!
  • Visit Global Visa Search (online): Global Visa Search is another great resource for all travelers — not just cruisers. You enter your passport information, your intended destination, and the purpose of your visit, and it tells you if you’ll need a visa. In fact, NCL provides a link to the visa checker website in its cruise contract — if only Motwani had seen it. :(
  • Bookmark the International Airport Travel Association’s (IATA) traveler’s tool: IATA provides a fabulous tool for travelers to determine their required documentation for entry to foreign countries. The professional version of this tool is what many airlines use to decide if you have the correct ID to travel.
  • Read your cruise contract: Motwani’s contract contained many clues that the family might need additional documentation to board the cruise. If she had read it, that information could have prevented this terrible situation. It’s critical that all cruisers carefully go through the pre-travel documentation — the cruise line sends it to you for a reason.
  • Double-check and cross-reference your information: It’s always a good idea not to rely on just one source for your information. So if you want to really make sure you never miss your cruise, flight or entire vacation, double- and even triple-check your data.
I hope you get what you need from the OP because U can tell you this is causing issues already and the cruise lines need to address it now before the REAL ID Act goes into effect.

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
It'll be a lot of angry people that show up to the airport and can't fly. I got a REAL ID driver's license the first time I was able to when it was time to renew so I didn't have to worry about it later (no EDL to get in FL). Same reason why I got a passport when they first announced that soon you could no longer get into Canada without it and beat the masses applying for it right before it became effective. I have my Global Entry card that I think is REAL ID compliant too, but honestly I have no idea what the GE card is good for besides proving I have GE.
An immigration agent at SFO recently told me the GE card is the equivalent of a Nexus card and can be used during land crossings from Canada and Mexico. He told me I don't have to show it when using GE at airports.

Jun 24, 2019
An immigration agent at SFO recently told me the GE card is the equivalent of a Nexus card and can be used during land crossings from Canada and Mexico. He told me I don't have to show it when using GE at airports.
You can use a Global Entry card as a government issued ID at airports and other facilities requiring a government issued photo ID.

Reactions: Skippy

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
You can use a Global Entry card as a government issued ID at airports and other facilities requiring a government issued photo ID.
Yes. In my case, the GE kiosk malfunctioned during finger print scanning, so I had to present myself to the officer. When I handed him my documents (passport, boarding pass, and GE card) he told me he didn't need the card for the reason I stated. He could see my GE status in his system. (Also, interestingly, he didn't need to scan my finger prints again, and he asked me none of the questions about goods, etc. that I would have had to answer at the kiosk.)

Oct 31, 2016
This is exactly where a travel agent could have helped. We are telling everyone bring both because the cruise lines have not officially changed anything on their websites with respect to the new REAL ID requirements.
Neil, how could they get REAL ID's or EDL w/o birth certificate or passport? Here in SC I had to show passport, dr license, a doc. w my name on it, IE: tel bill.

Reactions: FrankL183

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, how could they get REAL ID's or EDL w/o birth certificate or passport? Here in SC I had to show passport, dr license, a doc. w my name on it, IE: tel bill.
They need to bring the the birth certificate to the pier with them just as they do when checking in without a passport. You need a birth certificate for a regular license as well. The people working the piers have not been accepting an EDL without a birth certificate at check in.

The cruise lines need to come up with a policy and have the employees working the pier stick to it. As of right now, we are advising our clients to continue to take the birth certificate if they aren’t using a passport to check in.

Jun 13, 2019
They need to bring the the birth certificate to the pier with them just as they do when checking in without a passport. You need a birth certificate for a regular license as well. The people working the piers have not been accepting an EDL without a birth certificate at check in.

The cruise lines need to come up with a policy and have the employees working the pier stick to it. As of right now, we are advising our clients to continue to take the birth certificate if they aren’t using a passport to check in.
If the wife changed her name after marriage she also needs a certified copy of her marriage certificate. I saw a woman denied boarding earlier this year when her birth certificate name did not match that on her photo ID and the reservation. We were beside them at check in and the cruise line agent was polite but firm regarding the ID. They did not sail.

May 1, 2018
This is an interesting point. I checked the WV website and an identity document is required for a REAL ID. The only acceptable documents are a birth certificate or passport (or few other documents specific to foreign-born individuals).

So I think this is a very valid question - how did the OP get a REAL ID if they claim not to have a passport or birth certificate available?