Help senior get the trip they paid for

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I don't know we just got an email from carnival cruise saying we are out of luck they are sorry but even if we were giving not enough information it was our responsibility to make sure we had all the information we needed not there's I can't believe a company like carnival cruise line does this to people any suggestions
Hi Mr Friscia ...

Neil has offered great info for you in Post 17 here.

You've said you just received an email from Carnival saying "No".

A couple of things:

- Did you use the format of letter Neil suggested?

- And did you send it to the first contact shown in https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/carnival-cruise-lines/ ?

- If you did, it's now time to send the letter to Contact #2. Wait for their reply, and if it's NO again, try Contact #3. It's a laborious process, but the best way to get a YES.

There is indeed a lot of confusion and misinformation about what documentation is needed for a cruise. We, like Neil, suggest that our clients get a valid US passport ...it's the best option. But in your case since Carnival's rep mis-told you what was needed, I feel Carnival bears some responsibility in this situation (although it IS true that ultimately the passenger bears responsibility for bring the correct documents).

Please keep us posted.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Enhanced Driver's License for International Travel

A State-issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) provides travelers not only a license to drive but also a proof of identity and citizenship when exiting and re-entering the United States borders. This is a card under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) that has security features and technology that make travel a lot easier and safer. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive. The states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State are currently the only states issuing these enhanced drivers licenses. This license cannot be used for air travel in any of the above mentioned countries.
This is not international travel. It’s a closed loop cruise.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I don't know we just got an email from carnival cruise saying we are out of luck they are sorry but even if we were giving not enough information it was our responsibility to make sure we had all the information we needed not there's I can't believe a company like carnival cruise line does this to people any suggestions
It sounds as though they do not understand what happened. According to your initial post, this is not about missing information. It is about misinformation. They told you that a REAL ID (with the star) was all you needed, and when it was too late that you needed birth certificates or a passport. Here's what I would tell the next executive:
  • My wife and I were booked on a 7-day cruise to celebrate our 48th anniversary, for which we had saved two years
  • We were advised by one of your cruise representatives that all we needed was a REAL ID
  • We later learned that we needed our birth certificates or passports, but had no time to obtain either one
  • We acknowledge our responsibility to understand the required documents, but feel that we were misinformed
  • We are senior citizens on a fixed income, in poor health, and would like either a voucher for another cruise or, if possible, a refund
These are my thoughts . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is international travel but on a closed loop cruise and not international air travel. A significant difference in the ID required but that cruise is still sailing to foreign ports making it international.
You still do not need a passport at all or even Real ID. A regular drivers license and birth certificate is all that is needed and for kids just a birth certificate.

Reactions: FrankL183 and VoR61
Jun 13, 2019
You still do not need a passport at all or even Real ID. A regular drivers license and birth certificate is all that is needed and for kids just a birth certificate.
I know that as I cruise regularly. I simply took exception to your statement that a closed loop cruise was not international.

Reactions: FrankL183

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
My post was FYI. Someone had said that EDL was only available in five states and I was curious as to what states they are.

Reactions: VoR61

RLB

May 28, 2019
Just !ooked up West Virginia drivers licenses on the West Virginia DMV website. Apparently in WV, you can choose to get either a Real ID compliant drivers license OR something called a Not For Federal Use drivers license. The Real ID compliant license costs $10 more. Sal Friscia, which type of driver's licenses do you and your wife have?

Dec 19, 2014
West Virginia we call our state D.MV.AND ASK IF OUR LICENSES
WAS GOOD FOR TRAVELING AND OUR D.MV. SAID yes
V.
good for traveling (as in passing a TSA checkpoint) - yes
good for traveling (as in boarding a closed loop cruise with an international port) - no

West Virginia does not issue EDLs, therefore, no ID issued by the state of WV would have allowed you to board your cruise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
good for traveling (as in passing a TSA checkpoint) - yes
good for traveling (as in boarding a closed loop cruise with an international port) - no

West Virginia does not issue EDLs, therefore, no ID issued by the state of WV would have allowed you to board your cruise.
That is not what Carnival told them and that is the issue. That’s what the OP needs to focus his letter on.