Help Interpreting United Response Re: Refund Request

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 23, 2020
I've been going back and forth with United trying to get a refund for my flight from Seattle, WA to Washington, DC on May 18, 2020. The following is their most recent response:

"Thanks for your response. I can understand the concerns with a travel certificate. You can redeem the certificate for refund if you do not use it by the time it expires. In other words you can get the certificate refunded back to the original form of payment. At this time that is the policy regarding your specific circumstances. We hope that you will reconsider and look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Regards,

Alton Watts
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care"

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this. Thoughts?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who canceled the flight? Did you or did United? If you canceled it, you are only offered a credit to be used for another flight. If they canceled the flight you are due a refund as long as you had an open reservation. With this, if you don’t use it by the time is is set to expire, contact United a few days before and let them know and then at that time they will refund you.

That’s very generous of them because most airlines have a use it or lose it policy and you wouldn’t get anything back if you don’t use the certificate.

Reactions: Patina
Apr 23, 2020
Who canceled the flight? Did you or did United? If you canceled it, you are only offered a credit to be used fir another flight. If you don’t use it by the time id is set to expire, contact United a few days before and let them know and then at that time they will refund you.

That’s very generous of them because most airlines have a use it or lose it policy and you wouldn’t get anything back if you don’t use the certificate.
At this point I have not cancelled my flight. They are pressuring me to do so but I'm playing the waiting game.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you get to a day or two before the flight and it hasn't been canceled, you are going to have to decide if you are going to travel or cancel if there are cancellation fee waivers, cancel and receive a credit. There are still people that have to travel and that flight might be going with or without you.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I would wait until 24 hours before departure. Basically, when they send you an email to remind you to check in for your flight and the flight is still scheduled, then cancel your reservation and request a credit for future use. If you don't have anything to do, then check your reservation every day to see if they cancel it.

Apr 10, 2017
I've been going back and forth with United trying to get a refund for my flight from Seattle, WA to Washington, DC on May 18, 2020. The following is their most recent response:

"Thanks for your response. I can understand the concerns with a travel certificate. You can redeem the certificate for refund if you do not use it by the time it expires. In other words you can get the certificate refunded back to the original form of payment. At this time that is the policy regarding your specific circumstances. We hope that you will reconsider and look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Regards,

Alton Watts
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care"

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this. Thoughts?
My impression from reading the reply is that they are offering a voucher instead of a refund. Whether or not the flight has been canceled is not obvious. However, how I read what UA is saying is that we want to hold onto your money as long as we can before refunding it to you and we hope that, in the interim, you forget about the vouchers and never bother us again. So they're offering a refund but not really.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My impression from reading the reply is that they are offering a voucher instead of a refund. Whether or not the flight has been canceled is not obvious. However, how I read what UA is saying is that we want to hold onto your money as long as we can before refunding it to you and we hope that, in the interim, you forget about the vouchers and never bother us again. So they're offering a refund but not really.
If the OP cancelsn the flight and not the airline, they aren't due a refund. They are due a credit. The airlines are issuing credits with the hope you will travel again, not so screw people out of money. If that was the case, they wouldn't be offering cancellation waivers.

Apr 10, 2017
If the OP cancelsn the flight and not the airline, they aren't due a refund. They are due a credit. The airlines are issuing credits with the hope you will travel again, not so screw people out of money. If that was the case, they wouldn't be offering cancellation waivers.
It seems like what the OP is describing is what the airlines tried to do prior to the DOT stepping up and telling them no.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It seems like what the OP is describing is what the airlines tried to do prior to the DOT stepping up and telling them no.
If the OP canceled the flight and not the airline, that is not relevant. There is no cancellation - the OP is anticipating if you read post 3. We are telling her to wait until at least the day before to see if the flight is canceled. If the flight is canceled, she is due a refund. If the flight is still going out and she doesn't want to fly - then she isn't due a refund. Many domestic flights are still flying.