Hawaiian Airlines flight no longer needed - How to proceed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 6, 2017
I booked a cruise on NCL in Hawaii for late June 2020 and flights between San Jose, CA and Honolulu on Hawaiian Airlines. The cruise has been canceled, and now I no longer need the flights. The tickets were non-refundable, booked through a travel agent. I purchased trip insurance for the flights, and it appears that epidemic is not specifically excluded in the coverage. Hawaiian flights out of SJC are canceled through early May, but my flight leaving June 25 has not been canceled. Yet. I have not tried to cancel. Should I wait until a date closer to travel to do anything? Should I get my travel agent working on it now? Should I file a claim against the travel insurance policy? Ultimately, I would prefer to get a full refund. I could ask for a travel voucher, but it is unlikely I will want to fly to Hawaii within the next year, making the voucher worthless. Please offer suggestions how to proceed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Trip insurance doesn’t cover epidemics. If you don’t have a Cancel for Any Reason policy, you won’t have insurance coverage.

You can cancel now and pay any penalties the airline might be charging for cancellation fees and receive a credit for the remainder. Or you can sit back and wait and see if the flights are canceled. If that happens you would be due a full refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you do cancel, your voucher will be good for any destination, and most airlines are extending the period to use vouchers until the end of 2021. It's possible, not probable, that Hawaiian might waive the change/cancel fee. I would wait for them to cancel so a refund is assured ... buI I think late June will see travel start up again. You shouldn't wait until the very last minute to cancel, but maybe 48 hours out to avoid any computer/internet glitches. I wish that the airlines would offer a bonus to pax who cancel if they take a voucher ... that would surely help their current cash flow.

Apr 6, 2017
Many of us in similar situations--just wait for them to cancel the flight--they will wait to literally the last day so as to avoid refunds--just dont forget to get voucher if they happen not to cancel--and not just flight to HI--if they cancel return you are good also.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hawaiian Airlines current policy:
  • Travel Flexibility
    1. Tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020: No change fees for any changes made within two (2) years of the original ticket purchase date. A fare difference may apply.
    2. Tickets purchased before March 1, 2020 with travel dates between March 1 and Sept. 30, 2020: No change fees for rebooked travel that begins on or before May 31, 2022. A fare difference may apply.
You should wait until next month and see what happens. If they cancel your flight you will get a refund. If they do not cancel then you can get rebooking up to May 31, 2022.

You need to talk to your travel agent. You can travel to Hawaii up until 2022; that will probably be a viable alternative, cruise or no cruise.

Jun 26, 2019
Had a similar situation with AA for a trip to Orlando on 4/25/20. Was going to wait for the last 24 hrs., but AA contacted me the day before and asked if I wanted a credit or refund. I took the refund, and it only took a week to get an email stating the refund was being processed and would be credited back to the card within 7 days. As of now, I believe Hawaii is still shut down. I also have tickets on HA for September, and I don't have much hope that things will be normal by then. Currently HA is only flying from west coast airports to Hawaii, and inter island.

Reactions: jsn55

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Had a similar situation with AA for a trip to Orlando on 4/25/20. Was going to wait for the last 24 hrs., but AA contacted me the day before and asked if I wanted a credit or refund. I took the refund, and it only took a week to get an email stating the refund was being processed and would be credited back to the card within 7 days. As of now, I believe Hawaii is still shut down. I also have tickets on HA for September, and I don't have much hope that things will be normal by then. Currently HA is only flying from west coast airports to Hawaii, and inter island.
It is likely that Hawaii will open up some tourism access by September. Currently, all arriving passengers (both tourists and returning residents) must quarantine themselves for 14 days on arrival. This will probably end later this month or in June. How much of the state will open up is not known at present but more information will be available in the next 7-14 days.

If you do not wish to travel in September, you should wait to see what HA will do with your flights. If they are canceled you will be eligible for a refund; if they are not canceled you will be eligible for vouchers for future flights.

Reactions: Patina
Nov 6, 2017
Hawaiian issued an update on May 28:
  • May 28, 2020: All U.S. Mainland routes excluding the once-daily service between Honolulu and Los Angeles/San Francisco/Seattle are suspended through June 30. All Neighbor Island routes excluding the five-times-daily service between Honolulu and Hilo/Kona/Līhu‘e/Kahului and twice-daily service between Honolulu and Moloka‘i/Lāna‘i are suspended through June 30. The American Samoa service suspension has been extended through June 30.
My flight was scheduled to leave San Jose on June 25. After seeing the update, I looked at my booking online, and they had changed it to leaving from SFO without consulting me or letting me know. I called my travel agent, and they said that Hawaiian said that the flight was rescheduled, not canceled, and therefore was eligible only for a voucher, not a refund. I immediately filed a complaint with DOT, and now I will contact Customer Service using the contacts you provided. I am hoping for the best, a full refund. I understand their difficulties, but they canceled my flight.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hawaiian issued an update on May 28:
  • May 28, 2020: All U.S. Mainland routes excluding the once-daily service between Honolulu and Los Angeles/San Francisco/Seattle are suspended through June 30. All Neighbor Island routes excluding the five-times-daily service between Honolulu and Hilo/Kona/Līhu‘e/Kahului and twice-daily service between Honolulu and Moloka‘i/Lāna‘i are suspended through June 30. The American Samoa service suspension has been extended through June 30.
My flight was scheduled to leave San Jose on June 25. After seeing the update, I looked at my booking online, and they had changed it to leaving from SFO without consulting me or letting me know. I called my travel agent, and they said that Hawaiian said that the flight was rescheduled, not canceled, and therefore was eligible only for a voucher, not a refund. I immediately filed a complaint with DOT, and now I will contact Customer Service using the contacts you provided. I am hoping for the best, a full refund. I understand their difficulties, but they canceled my flight.
Quarantine for any passenger arriving on any Hawaiian island from the US mainland has been extended through AT LEAST June 30. There is no information about a further extension, but that remains a real possibility. Should you get to Hawaii June 25 you will be required to quarantine until at least July 1 if not longer. The quarantine means you are not allowed to leave your room accommodations for any reason except to seek needed medical care. Leaving your room to buy groceries or food, or to go to any eating establishment, beach, or recreational activity, is prohibited. Fines are $5000/event and/or jail time. So far several people have been allowed to leave Hawaii immediately on the day they were arrested as an alternative to fines or jail.

So hopefully you will be able to get your airfare refunded. Unfortunately, HA considers the SF area airports to be interchangeable and that is why they are claiming that your flight is not canceled, but that only the departure airport has changed. Going to Hawaii to be quarantined would not be a vacation.

Jun 2, 2020
I had a similar situation with Hawaiian .
I had booked an open jaw trip for early May : SEA-HNL and then a week later HNL-SAN .
The HNL-SAN flight was canceled by HA, I received an e-mail with a link to request a refund ,
I filled in the form and a few days later received another e-mail stating that I would be getting a refund .
The May 8th SEA-HNL flight was rescheduled a bit (leaving 2 hours later) and not canceled .
I called customer service the day before it was supposed to leave (Waiting time : 1 minute :) ) and was told
to request a refund . The address given to me on the phone was the same as in the email for the other flight.

I submitted the request via their web-site on Thursday May 7th stating :
1) I'm outside the US , I can't make it to Seattle because the border is closed
2) There is 14 day quarantine so there really is no point in going to Hawaii
3) My flight to return to the mainland has been canceled by HA
I then , politely , requested a refund instead of a credit or a voucher.
On Friday I tried to check my booking and it was gone from the system .
On Monday I received another e-mail stating that I would be getting a refund.

So it seems that they are willing to make exceptions but I'm not sure why exactly they decided to make
one in my case : was it the closed border or the quarantine ?

Good Luck

Luc

PS : not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to the request form

Reactions: Carrie Livingston

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I had a similar situation with Hawaiian .
I had booked an open jaw trip for early May : SEA-HNL and then a week later HNL-SAN .
The HNL-SAN flight was canceled by HA, I received an e-mail with a link to request a refund ,
I filled in the form and a few days later received another e-mail stating that I would be getting a refund .
The May 8th SEA-HNL flight was rescheduled a bit (leaving 2 hours later) and not canceled .
I called customer service the day before it was supposed to leave (Waiting time : 1 minute :) ) and was told
to request a refund . The address given to me on the phone was the same as in the email for the other flight.

I submitted the request via their web-site on Thursday May 7th stating :
1) I'm outside the US , I can't make it to Seattle because the border is closed
2) There is 14 day quarantine so there really is no point in going to Hawaii
3) My flight to return to the mainland has been canceled by HA
I then , politely , requested a refund instead of a credit or a voucher.
On Friday I tried to check my booking and it was gone from the system .
On Monday I received another e-mail stating that I would be getting a refund.

So it seems that they are willing to make exceptions but I'm not sure why exactly they decided to make
one in my case : was it the closed border or the quarantine ?

Good Luck

Luc

PS : not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to the request form
Thanks for this post, Luc. You've summed up why we always say "Try it, you never know". We see the oddest things happening, especially now, so it's always important to make contact with your consumer request, whatever it is. You never know!

Reactions: Patina
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks, Luc. Your experience makes me feel optimistic.

I have a question about DOT complaints. I filed a complaint on the DOT site, but I received no confirmation nor any response. Should I expect some kind of response?