Good Article about finding a travel agent

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree, Neil ,,, I really like the idea of a consortium so people can be assured of quality. Now if we could just get travellers to understand that paying a fee to a professional is so much better than booking yourself on "Cheapo Whatever's" website. Thanks for posting this.

Jul 27, 2016
I agree, Neil ,,, I really like the idea of a consortium so people can be assured of quality. Now if we could just get travellers to understand that paying a fee to a professional is so much better than booking yourself on "Cheapo Whatever's" website. Thanks for posting this.
Key for this will be to acknowledge that it's often NOT worth it for travelers to use a human agent. The travel agents that survive will be those with specialty knowledge and a premium service.

I've used a TA when booking a trip to New Zealand, since the TA had the detailed knowledge about the tiny (<5 room) B&Bs I was looking for, and could help plan the itinerary.

Didn't use a TA for my last trip to SF, as they wouldn't have added any value in booking a Delta roundtrip and a room at the Fairmont. It would have taken me as long to explain what I wanted to a person as it did to book it myself.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are absolutely correct - many trips like you describe almost anyone can do themselves. But we have had too many instances here of what seemed like a simple case of booking a ticket that were totally screwed up by a DIY'er that wouldn't have happened if a travel agent had booked it. Some people are very capable of booking their own travel and some just aren't.

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
It certainly depends on the person and the type of trip. While I am fine booking most travel myself these days, I will absolutely employ the services of a knowledgeable travel agent when I finally go on that African safari and do a tour of Australia. It's also wise to have an advocate when you're traveling to more exotic locales. My husband uses a specialized travel agent for scuba diving trips. And yes, we always have appropriate travel insurance. God forbid he ever need a Medivac or a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for decompression sickness. No one wants to pay for that out of pocket!

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You will LOVE that African safari but make sure you decide what animals you are interested in seeing. For instance, if birds are your thing, different parks have different birds. Northern Africa has more varieties of birds than middle. Rhinos are found in certain areas, elephants in others. It is a trip in a lifetime that you will never forget.

Reactions: John Galbraith

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
You will LOVE that African safari but make sure you decide what animals you are interested in seeing. For instance, if birds are your thing, different parks have different birds. Northern Africa has more varieties of birds than middle. Rhinos are found in certain areas, elephants in others. It is a trip in a lifetime that you will never forget.
I am all about the big 5 and I know you have to choose the right time of year as well as the right travel outfit. Not to mention the logistics of taking off 2-3 consecutive weeks from work without holidays.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am all about the big 5 and I know you have to choose the right time of year as well as the right travel outfit. Not to mention the logistics of taking off 2-3 consecutive weeks from work without holidays.
We did our Safari in 5 days. It was enough. Not necessary to have that long to travel, you can do it in a week including travel days.

Reactions: VoR61

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
We did our Safari in 5 days. It was enough. Not necessary to have that long to travel, you can do it in a week including travel days.
But that's such a long trip I'd like to take at least 2 weeks to see as much as I can. It would also make the long flight more worthwhile.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Very true. If you do that I would suggest going to parks in different areas of Africa so you can experience different animals. Don't limit the trip to just one area. We were at some parks in Kenya and moved to Tanzania for 3 more parks. If I had more time, I would have flown to S. Africa to experience that area too - very different.

My point was that you don't have to have 2 weeks to do a safari so if others don't have that long they know they can do a successful trip in a week.

Reactions: VoR61

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
That trip you're describing is making me quite envious! I love animals and want to see as many as I can in their natural habitat.