Getting NO cooperation from JustFly to reschedule a flight due to the Covid virus!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 21, 2020
My spouse and I booked a trip to the Philippines just before the Covid 19 pandemic struck the world. Our trip was planned for August 2020 and we booked our flight through JustFly. As someone who is in a high-risk group, obviously I did not feel safe traveling and being out of the country during this time. After reading about all the travel companies and airlines working with people to reschedule their flights, I felt relieved that there would be no problem. The roundtrip tickets that we purchased were paid for at the time of booking at a cost of $2,250.30 and were non-refundable. We have since decided to reschedule our trip until spring, in April of 2021. I was able to contact all of the resorts and two other airlines within the Philippines. As you can imagine, getting everything to line up timing wise with multiple flights, cities and resorts is not easy however I was able to reschedule everything with no major issues with the exception of our main flight through JustFly. Although it was very difficult to get through to anyone at JustFly, when I finally did the agent told me that I could reschedule but it was only good until February of 2021. I was told if I wanted to reschedule to a flight after that time, we would be forced to pay a $1,200 cancellation fee. On top of that, when I went to JustFly’s webpage, their cancellation policy does not seem to jive with what the agent told me. I feel this is totally unfair in light of the current situation. The ticket that I wanted to reschedule to was even cheaper than the one I originally purchased. I really didn’t care about the return of any of our money, I just wanted a credit to schedule a new flight. Finally, the agent told me that JustFly could not do anything for me and I would have to contact the airlines directly. Our flight involved several lay overs and involved both United Airlines and ANA Airlines. When I contacted United, they told me that ANA had control of the ticket since the majority of the segments were with them. I have tried multiple times to contact ANA and can never get through to anyone via phone. In desperation I tried their Twitter account and Messenger on their Facebook page. I finally got an answer from them and they claim they have no control over the ticket since it was purchased through a third party. As you can imagine, this has become a very frustrating situation and I feel as if I am getting bounced from one party to the other with no resolution. I do understand that all of these companies are operating under a stressful situation as well with reduced staff however this seems like this would be a fairly easy issue to resolve. As I have stated from the beginning, I am not asking any airline or agency to refund me any money. I am simply asking for a credit so that I can schedule a new flight that works with our new travel schedule.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My spouse and I booked a trip to the Philippines just before the Covid 19 pandemic struck the world. Our trip was planned for August 2020 and we booked our flight through JustFly. As someone who is in a high-risk group, obviously I did not feel safe traveling and being out of the country during this time. After reading about all the travel companies and airlines working with people to reschedule their flights, I felt relieved that there would be no problem. The roundtrip tickets that we purchased were paid for at the time of booking at a cost of $2,250.30 and were non-refundable. We have since decided to reschedule our trip until spring, in April of 2021. I was able to contact all of the resorts and two other airlines within the Philippines. As you can imagine, getting everything to line up timing wise with multiple flights, cities and resorts is not easy however I was able to reschedule everything with no major issues with the exception of our main flight through JustFly. Although it was very difficult to get through to anyone at JustFly, when I finally did the agent told me that I could reschedule but it was only good until February of 2021. I was told if I wanted to reschedule to a flight after that time, we would be forced to pay a $1,200 cancellation fee. On top of that, when I went to JustFly’s webpage, their cancellation policy does not seem to jive with what the agent told me. I feel this is totally unfair in light of the current situation. The ticket that I wanted to reschedule to was even cheaper than the one I originally purchased. I really didn’t care about the return of any of our money, I just wanted a credit to schedule a new flight. Finally, the agent told me that JustFly could not do anything for me and I would have to contact the airlines directly. Our flight involved several lay overs and involved both United Airlines and ANA Airlines. When I contacted United, they told me that ANA had control of the ticket since the majority of the segments were with them. I have tried multiple times to contact ANA and can never get through to anyone via phone. In desperation I tried their Twitter account and Messenger on their Facebook page. I finally got an answer from them and they claim they have no control over the ticket since it was purchased through a third party. As you can imagine, this has become a very frustrating situation and I feel as if I am getting bounced from one party to the other with no resolution. I do understand that all of these companies are operating under a stressful situation as well with reduced staff however this seems like this would be a fairly easy issue to resolve. As I have stated from the beginning, I am not asking any airline or agency to refund me any money. I am simply asking for a credit so that I can schedule a new flight that works with our new travel schedule.
What a horrible mess, I am so sorry this has happened. JustFly seems worse than useless, we get posts complaining about them far too often. They do own your tix, they are gouging you with the very short extension period and the extreme cancellation penalty. But you used them, so we need to figure out how to make this work. Many airlines are waiving lots of fees and offering generous rebooking terms. Read the other threads about JF to pick up the intel. Stay off the phone ... an agent will tell you anything to make you go away. Compose a polite, concise email to JF, outlining the facts. Hopefully my colleagues will have some ideas about exactly how to proceed and what you should ask for, I have no experience with these online services.

Reactions: Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since you booked through JustFly, ANA won’t deal with you.

I’m sorry you used Justfly. They are the only online travel agency I am aware of the BBB warns against using with over 2,500 complaints

.They are a Canadian Company. And they rarely respond to us if we contact them.

Here are our company contacts:

This is how to write:

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 21, 2020
Thanks for your continued assistance. Yesterday I called JustFly using one of the numbers you provided. Of course it took a while to get through but I finally got to speak to an agent. I explained my whole situation and that I only wanted to reschedule to a different flight, no refund requested. She advised that I had a non-refundable ticket and I acknowledged that I was aware of that but that most companies were waiving these restrictions due to the Covid 19 virus.
Even though I was on their site and had pulled up a flight that fit my travel plans, she stated she could not see what I was seeing and started looking for a flight that fit my dates. She came back with a terrible flight that had a horrendous lay over and did not get us into Manila until two days after our departure. I told her I needed to leave on April 7th and arrive in Manila on the 8th. When I asked why she could not just reschedule me to the flight I had up on the site, she claimed it was a different flight code or some other nonsense. The funny thing is, the flight I wanted was $400 cheaper than the flight I had paid for. I told her I didn't even care about getting the difference back, I just wanted to reschedule. She claimed If I wanted that flight, I would have to cancel my original flight and forfeit the $2,200 and then re-book the other flight!!! I explained that I don't want to cancel anything, I just want to reschedule. She then said they would have to make an exception to give me that flight and would have to transfer me to their customer service representative. Funny I thought that was who I was dealing with but I went on hold again. She said I would not have to repeat the whole issue because she had it all in the notes. However when I finally was able to get through to another person, they made me go through the whole issue again. She told me she would take a look at the flights and asked to put me on hold for 3-5 minutes. After a couple minutes she came back on and advised that she was still looking and would have to put me back on hold for a little bit. I thought, finally I may be getting somewhere.She asked for my contact number so they could call me if we got disconnected. Well, after 35 minutes of being on hold, I finally hung up in disgust. Of course, nobody ever tried to call me back with any results. I think it's pretty obvious that they are not interested in helping anyone. They just hope you will get so tired of dealing with them that you will just give up and they can keep all of your money. This is not right! Would it be helpful to contact some governmental agency in Canada to report them or ask for assistance? Thank you in advance for your help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The problem might be that the type of ticket fare they sold you is one that is totally nonrefundable regardless of Covid and can't be changed with the fare type you are looking at. Were the flights on the same airline? It sounds like the agent is giving you the options you can change to within the fare code you are booked in. That is why she is telling you that you have to cancel the original and would only be able to receive the residual amount left after cancellation fees for a new flight.

This is the problem when you book through an OTA - sometimes they are very cheap because they use fare codes that can't be used for other flights.

Jun 21, 2020
The originating and the final leg of the trip were on United however the majority of the segments were with ANA. At this point, I would be happy to cancel my flight even if I had to pay a reasonable fee. According to their webpage, the fee to cancel an international flight after 24 hours of booking is "$200 per passenger, per ticket fees". If I understand that correctly, that would cost me $400 to cancel the 2 tickets and I would gladly accept that, however I have gotten conflicting information depending on who I talked to. The first person I talked to told me it would cost me $1,200 to change the 2 tickets. I can't even seem to get a straight answer out of them on what it would cost me if I just canceled them. One lady seemed to imply that because they were non refundable, I would lost the whole $2,200! I have considered just going on their webpage and initiating a cancellation to see what happens but I'm afraid if I start that, they will cancel and I will lose everything.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How many tickets did you have? Were these separate tickets? If you have separate tickets, you are going to be charged a cancellation fee for each ticket. Just fly may not have booked all those flights on one PNR. Do you have more than one confirmation number for the flights?

The fees you are quoting are only Just Fly's cancellation fees and not the fees from the airline which are additional. This is what they say about the fees you mentioned:

In the event that your Booking can be cancelled, changed or refunded in accordance with the foregoing, (a) we will charge you the fees set out in Section 14 (Fees for Cancellations, Changes and Refunds) as applicable, and (b) Travel Service Providers may charge you additional fees.

So in reality - it is possible that you might not receive anything back. You need to call and ask them how much the airline cancellation fees are besides the JustFly fees. If you have multiple tickets, that will add even more cancellation fees to the total.

Table 2: JUSTFLY FEES FOR CANCELLATION & REFUNDS (AFTER 24 HOURS OF THE DAY YOUR BOOKING WAS COMPLETED)

For Air –Economy Air – Businesss/First
Cancellation requested after 24 hours Eastern Standard the day your Booking was completed Per-passenger, per ticket fees:
Domestic: $75
Transborder: $125
International: $200
Per-passenger, per ticket fees:

Table 3: JUSTFLY FEES FOR CHANGES TO EXISTING BOOKINGS (EXCHANGE)

For Air – Economy Air – Businesss/First
All itinerary changes requested Per-passenger, per ticket fees:
Per-passenger, per ticket fees:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are a list of change/cancellation fees from ANA. I believe United charges $400 for cancellations. These would be in addition to JustFly's charges:

The problem you have is that you booked through a travel agency and not directly through the airline so if your flights are canceled, you aren't guaranteed a refund by the DOT - those are only if you booked directly with an airline.

We have company contacts for JustFly -

You should start emailing the executives, one at a time, to try and resolve this. This is how to write - do not write to every one at once. wait at least a week in between emailing. Read this first:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020
I emailed them today starting with the lowest official, the Director of Quality Service, and will follow per your instructions.
Regarding our flight, we only have one confirmation number but there are multiple segments outbound and incoming, between United and ANA.
I'm wondering if I should just wait and hopefully one of the airlines will cancel a flight. If that happened, then would I be able to get a refund?
Previously the agent told me they were at the mercy of the airlines and told me to contact them but when I contacted both United and ANA, they both told me there was nothing they could help me with since I purchased it through a third party. I believe the airlines would allow me to cancel without fees but how do you coordinate that with JustFly or are they supposed to do that?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would wait to see if the airlines cancel or if they update their Covid cancellations past your travel dates. But you have to make changes before June 30 and you would probably still be charged JustFlys fees.

United is waiving fees if you bought before -March 3 but you would only receive a future credit if you cancel. I am not sure why JustFly doesn’t know this. But thus company has a warning from the BBB not to use them so it doesn’t sound like they know what they are doing. You have to cancel by June 30.

For ANA, see if any of your flights are listed here:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The originating and the final leg of the trip were on United however the majority of the segments were with ANA. At this point, I would be happy to cancel my flight even if I had to pay a reasonable fee. According to their webpage, the fee to cancel an international flight after 24 hours of booking is "$200 per passenger, per ticket fees". If I understand that correctly, that would cost me $400 to cancel the 2 tickets and I would gladly accept that, however I have gotten conflicting information depending on who I talked to. The first person I talked to told me it would cost me $1,200 to change the 2 tickets. I can't even seem to get a straight answer out of them on what it would cost me if I just canceled them. One lady seemed to imply that because they were non refundable, I would lost the whole $2,200! I have considered just going on their webpage and initiating a cancellation to see what happens but I'm afraid if I start that, they will cancel and I will lose everything.
I think this conception might be fueling your frustration: "One lady seemed to imply that because they were non refundable, I would lost the whole $2,200!". The lady is absolutely right. The kind of tix you purchased are not refundable. People do lose all their money, it happens every day. By booking directly with the airline, you at least have a chance of getting an exception to their rules. Online booking services couldn't care less about their existing customers, theirs is a numbers game ... more advertising yields more new customers. I hope that you can prevail and get this worked out, but the chances are not great.

Jun 21, 2020
Well, here's the latest. I emailed the lowest person on the rung from the list of names you provided for JustFly. I waited one week and no response. Today I went up the ladder to the next person. I basically forwarded my earlier email which showed who I had emailed and the date and advised that I never got a response and requesting assistance from this new contact.

Reactions: Mel65