Get ready for even more fees at Spirit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 10, 2015
So the "new" size is 18x14x8 inches to fit under the seat in front of you.

"We heard from many customers who told us their laptop bags or larger purses weren't fitting quite as well under our seats lengthwise," spokesman Stephen Schuler said. "We take customer feedback very seriously, so we've adjusted the length to accommodate these popular personal items."

This doesn't make sense. Did they reconfiger the seats to suddenly create more room for the personal item under the seat?

Feb 9, 2016
So the "new" size is 18x14x8 inches to fit under the seat in front of you.

"We heard from many customers who told us their laptop bags or larger purses weren't fitting quite as well under our seats lengthwise," spokesman Stephen Schuler said. "We take customer feedback very seriously, so we've adjusted the length to accommodate these popular personal items."

This doesn't make sense. Did they reconfiger the seats to suddenly create more room for the personal item under the seat?
No, they didn't do anything to the seat configuration. They have simply reduced the allowable size of a carry on so that they can charge for more of them. they are trying to throw some smoke and mirrors up about how they are accommodating passenger complaints, but really it is just a money grab.

Looks like a standard sized backpack will still fit into the measuring bin in the waiting area, with an inch or so to spare, and a diaper bag.

Lol, wow.

Mar 10, 2015
So they report the complaint that laptop bags and larger purses weren't fitting under the seats, and say they've adjusted the "length" of the allowable personal item to accomodate those items, but didn't change anything? In actuality, they are now saying that laptop bags and larger purses, because they aren't small enough to fit under the seat, are really your carryon? Heh. As if there's not already plenty of reasons not to fly Spirit.

Feb 9, 2016
So they report the complaint that laptop bags and larger purses weren't fitting under the seats, and say they've adjusted the "length" of the allowable personal item to accomodate those items, but didn't change anything? In actuality, they are now saying that laptop bags and larger purses, because they aren't small enough to fit under the seat, are really your carryon? Heh. As if there's not already plenty of reasons not to fly Spirit.
What they are really going to do is reduce the size of that carry-on bin in the waiting area. You know, the one that people/gate agents use to determine if their carry on exceeds allowable size?

This way less items will pass/fir and they can alert the customer that they need to check the item and then charge the 'at airport' fee (which is higher) to check the items as a paid for additional carry-on.

Actual seat configuration isn't changing, from what I am reading.

Such a racket!

Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
it's airline speak for there is a carry on fee - and a our seats are smaller so we can cram more on - so you can't put as much underneath as you used to,

Why ANYONE flies Spirit or Allegiant is beyond me - Spirit is a fee generation company masquerading as an airline.

I showed up about 10 years ago for a Spirit flight from PVD-SAV to go to my vacation home for a few nights. I was carrying a backpack that easily fit inside their carry on limit. They asked me where my luggage was - I said - don't have any - was going to my second home. That was not an acceptable response. They refused me boarding until they put SSSS on my boarding pass and forced me to endure the full security screening.

If i'm traveling with nothing - because I need nothing - thus how can I be a threat if I don't have anything with me?

That's when I stopped even considering Spirit - I did not generate any additional fees - no bag, no carry on fee - no nothing - that was the problem. I had an empty bottle of water I could fill. No bags. Nothing they could charge for - I took what seat they had. It was $19 fare, plus $16 in fees and tax. I did not fit their fee model - so they abused me.

Was common at the time I heard.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
it's airline speak for there is a carry on fee - and a our seats are smaller so we can cram more on - so you can't put as much underneath as you used to,

Why ANYONE flies Spirit or Allegiant is beyond me - Spirit is a fee generation company masquerading as an airline.

I showed up about 10 years ago for a Spirit flight from PVD-SAV to go to my vacation home for a few nights. I was carrying a backpack that easily fit inside their carry on limit. They asked me where my luggage was - I said - don't have any - was going to my second home. That was not an acceptable response. They refused me boarding until they put SSSS on my boarding pass and forced me to endure the full security screening.

If i'm traveling with nothing - because I need nothing - thus how can I be a threat if I don't have anything with me?

That's when I stopped even considering Spirit - I did not generate any additional fees - no bag, no carry on fee - no nothing - that was the problem. I had an empty bottle of water I could fill. No bags. Nothing they could charge for - I took what seat they had. It was $19 fare, plus $16 in fees and tax. I did not fit their fee model - so they abused me.

I would call that 'mean' spirited.

Reactions: sas80
Aug 29, 2015
North Kingstown, Rhode Island

It was very common. In fact people like you and me, who flew bare-bones on Spirit, are probably the reason Spirit pulled out of the PVD market.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Every time I'm tempted by their $110 round-trip fares to Florida, I remind myself of the billions of awful stories about them. What could they do to me if I boarded the plane with just a wallet and a phone? I think Florida has items like toothpaste and bathing suits. ;)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Flying these discount airlines happily all depends on how much abuse you are willing to take to save money. But to cry over the abuse later? Not such a good idea.

Reactions: Neil Maley