Frozen venmo account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 29, 2020
Hi my name is danny wright and my venmo account has been frozen since sunday. They srnt me an email asking me for my id so they can verify my account which i sent then they said they will get back to me in 7-10 days. I really cannot wait that long i have 3 kids and rent due on the first. If you could expedite this it would be greatly appreciated.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi my name is danny wright and my venmo account has been frozen since Sunday. They sent me an email asking me for my id so they can verify my account which i sent then they said they will get back to me in 7-10 days. I really cannot wait that long i have 3 kids and rent due on the first. If you could expedite this it would be greatly appreciated.
Venmo is owned by Paypal. Paypal has also been blocking accounts. Often this is due to payments that appear to come from an unusual source triggering their computers to flag possible fraud. There are also many other reasons for freezing an account which they will not disclose.

You can reach out to Paypal: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

Email the first level of customer service above the level you have contacted already. DO NOT email all contacts at once. You can also try FB and Twitter. Reach out to the next email level if you do not get a response in 2-3 days.

Unfortunately, you need to be prepared for the likelihood that this issue will NOT be resolved by July 1.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s a lot of money to Venmo and a big red flag because it’s over $10,000. Is this a new account?

Venmo limits you to $1500 per week transferred into your account.

Adding Funds from Your Bank Account

If the ability to add funds to Venmo from your bank account is offered to you, the limit on the funds that you can add to your Venmo account from your bank account is $1,500.00 per week (depending on security checks at Venmo)

You’ll have to deal with Venmo directly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Write to them using the information in the red link in post 7.

This is how to write- one executive at a time:

Reactions: Skippy

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Will they unfreeze my account?
Assuming the source of the money is legit, you will get your money back. However, its hard to say how long it will take. Because of the amount you've transferred, Venmo is required to verify your identity to meet Federal money laundering regulations. That may be relatively quick. If they decide this is a high risk transfer, though, it could take considerably longer.

As Weilac says, I doubt this will be resolved by July 1. Given the urgency, if they don't unfreeze your account this week, you can try filing a complaint with the state regulatory agency that oversees them. Here's a list: https://venmo.com/legal/us-licenses

In the future, for anything more than a couple hundred dollars you should use a bank. Venmo and Paypal are not appropriate to hold, send or receive thousands of dollars.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have seen cases of the accounts being reopened after investigations are done. SMD is correct- if they do re-open the account, get that money into a real bank - these venues are not meant for anything other than money transfers between friends. They aren’t banks.

It will most likely take awhile for them to investigate before they give you access though.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Nys unemployment.
Unfortunately, there's a massive amount of unemployment fraud happening right now. Because of COVID, states relaxed their verification processes. Criminals then used stolen identity information to apply for unemployment in other people's names and transferred the money overseas. Hundred of millions have been stolen: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/12/unemployment-benefits-fraud-delays/

Having your unemployment payment deposited into an unverified Venmo account is a huge red flag.