FedEx denied claim for lost package

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 3, 2017
Hi all,

A friend recommended these forums as a place to get advice about this. I'm new here, so if questions like mine have previously been answered feel free to just link me to the relevant thread.

I recently sent a broken phone from CA to TX for repairs. The company that made the phone, LG, gave me a packing slip to ship my phone via FedEx. However, it looks like FedEx damaged my package and was unable to deliver, according to their tracking system (link to tracking).

I filed a claim asking for the full price I paid for the phone ($349.99). However, I got a letter back today saying that they've declined my claim.

What's the best thing to do in this scenario? I believe I can appeal the claim, but I would like to do so in a way that will maximize my chances of getting reimbursed for my package.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Are they claiming that your broken phone had no value?
What as the insurance limit on the package?
FedX usually supplies $100 insurance with any package. Additional insurance costs more. Did you buy more?
In that FedX damaged the package, they at least owe you the $100 insurance.
What was their reason for denial?
Do you have - or can you get - a statement of actual value for the broken phone?

Dec 11, 2016
OP, who paid for the shipping? You mention a packing slip from LG, does this mean they provided the shipping label? If so, that is why you were denied the claim, because the person/company paying the freight has to file the claim.

I notice the tracking info says the package is being handled per shipper instructions. Assuming this was LG, I would follow-up with them. Sadly, it is unreasonable to expect the price you paid back, because it was nevertheless a "used" phone. However LG may be able to provide a replacement (likely refurbished) phone, or some other option.

Oct 3, 2017
Thanks everyone for the help. Here's some more info:

The FedEx packing slip was given by LG. I did not pay to ship the phone. I did not buy additional insurance for the package.

According to the replies above, this means that FedEx will only care about a claim filed by LG. The claim denial letter stated that the “shipper” must file the claim. In this case, I thought that I was the shipper since I put the package in the mail but it sounds like LG is technically the shipper in this case.

LG has not contacted me about the missing package. Since it doesn't look like a previous claim was filed for the package, I'm assuming that this means LG doesn't know that the package is missing.

What is the best way to talk to LG about this? I'm thinking of giving them a call — would a letter be better so I have physical proof of the conversation? I'm thinking of saying something along the lines of:
  1. I requested a phone repair, and the customer service rep said my phone was still covered under warranty so he sent me a packing slip to ship the phone to LG.
  2. The package was lost by FedEx.
  3. Can I get a replacement phone since I won't be getting my phone back?
Does this seem reasonable? Is there anything I can say to LG to better convince them to send me a replacement?

Dec 11, 2016
OP, do exactly as you suggested. The good news is that not only was LG paying the freight, but you mention your phone was under warranty. I really hope they can resolve this for you quickly. What a terrible situation.

Reactions: jsn55