Faulty Samsung Refrigerator

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 31, 2020
In late November 2014 my husband and I purchased a Large Samsung refrigerator from Lowes (Model #RF32FMQDBSR/AA-0006- ($2991.72) Just four years later, on December 13, 2018, our troubles begin.

The gage on the door of our refrigerator read 63* it is supposed to be 36. * After calling Samsung customer service department and waiting on hold for more than an hour each time, we were told that a service man would call and set up an appointment. Two weeks later, a technician arrived and replaced a faulty compressor. Another year passes and we had a warm refrigerator again. This time a Freon leak was identified and we were without refrigeration for another two weeks until a technician came to repair it. Less than one month on July 13, 2020 the refrigerator went out again and another two weeks without food. This time a ruptured condenser coil went out and the part was no longer available. After several phone calls of waiting for hours each time my husband was told that Samsung no longer made the part and the refrigerator was no longer under warranty. They said they were sorry but that there was nothing they could do for us.

We have had an extremely difficult time dealing with Samsung representatives. Praises to the Elliott Advocacy Group! They are there for those of us who feel like “no one is listening”

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
In late November 2014 my husband and I purchased a Large Samsung refrigerator from Lowes (Model #RF32FMQDBSR/AA-0006- ($2991.72) Just four years later, on December 13, 2018, our troubles begin.

The gage on the door of our refrigerator read 63* it is supposed to be 36. * After calling Samsung customer service department and waiting on hold for more than an hour each time, we were told that a service man would call and set up an appointment. Two weeks later, a technician arrived and replaced a faulty compressor. Another year passes and we had a warm refrigerator again. This time a Freon leak was identified and we were without refrigeration for another two weeks until a technician came to repair it. Less than one month on July 13, 2020 the refrigerator went out again and another two weeks without food. This time a ruptured condenser coil went out and the part was no longer available. After several phone calls of waiting for hours each time my husband was told that Samsung no longer made the part and the refrigerator was no longer under warranty. They said they were sorry but that there was nothing they could do for us.

We have had an extremely difficult time dealing with Samsung representatives. Praises to the Elliott Advocacy Group! They are there for those of us who feel like “no one is listening”
What are you seeking? Your refrigerator is almost 6 years old and not under warranty or an extended service contract. Unfortunately, electro-mechanical appliances may last 15+ years, but they also may last 5 years or less. Have you looked for the part needed from a source other than Samsung? There are parts suppliers that have parts for older appliances. Here are two examples. There are others.

Are you asking Samsung to replace your refrigerator that is not under warranty or extended service contract?

You can reach out to Samsung: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/samsung/
Start with email at the lowest level of customer service and move to the next level after 7-10 days if no/negative response.

If you ask for a free replacement you will likely get a negative response. If you ask for a discount on the purchase of a new Samsung you may get a positive response. If you tell Samsung you will never buy one of their appliances again they will have no reason to deal with you.

So before reaching out to Samsung you need to decide on a request that they may find reasonable.

Jul 31, 2020
What are you seeking? Your refrigerator is almost 6 years old and not under warranty or an extended service contract. Unfortunately, electro-mechanical appliances may last 15+ years, but they also may last 5 years or less. Have you looked for the part needed from a source other than Samsung? There are parts suppliers that have parts for older appliances. Here are two examples. There are others.

Are you asking Samsung to replace your refrigerator that is not under warranty or extended service contract?

You can reach out to Samsung: https://elliott.org/company-contacts/samsung/
Start with email at the lowest level of customer service and move to the next level after 7-10 days if no/negative response.

If you ask for a free replacement you will likely get a negative response. If you ask for a discount on the purchase of a new Samsung you may get a positive response. If you tell Samsung you will never buy one of their appliances again they will have no reason to deal with you.

So before reaching out to Samsung you need to decide on a request that they may find reasonable.
I think we are focusing on the warranty only. We purchased a $3000 top of the line refrigerator hoping that it would last more that 4 years, that is when our problems begin with a new compressor. Since Samsung no longer makes the part we have 32 cu.ft. refrigerator that cannot be repaired. We have tried Appliance Parts and Pros. they told us that the refrigerator is new enough that finding a part is very unlikely, especially since Samsung is not making that part anymore. We have written to Elliott Advocacy Group, I hope to hear from them soon.
The suggestion to ask for a discount on a new Samsung rather than free replacement seems to be a good alternative at this time. Thank you all
for your help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our contacts for Samsung;

Here is how to write:

Jul 13, 2020
Did you look any place other then appliance parts and pros?
Like Ebay or Amazon or maybe Sears? I did a quick search and it looks like sears has one. you can see if it is the right part. If it is the correct part ,the cost is a lot less then a new refrigerator.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
Did you look any place other then appliance parts and pros?
Like Ebay or Amazon or maybe Sears? I did a quick search and it looks like sears has one. you can see if it is the right part. If it is the correct part ,the cost is a lot less then a new refrigerator.
Thank you for helping me. This is the part that I need: I have search the places you mentioned but this part is not available. If any one can find it please let me know.
Samsung Refrigerator Condenser Coil DA97-13770A

Jul 31, 2020
I started with the Primary contact from the list that you sent me. John Cho Director of Customer Service. Have not heard as of today.
I am suppose to weight 5-7 days until I go to the Secondary contact. In the meantime this is what Samsung sent me.

Sorry, this part is No Longer Available at PartSelect.com, which means:

• The part is no longer sold by the manufacturer.
  • The manufacturer does not stock any substitute parts to replace this one.
  • We cannot obtain the part through any other means.

Jul 13, 2020
Did you click the link I have posted . You can order that part today. They have it in stock. Will Samsung install it for you if you buy the part. If not have a professional do it as it deals with the coolant gas.
They are very fast in getting me parts I have ordered from them in the past.
So if you really want to fix this refrigerator you could buy the replacement for the bad part today.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Did you click the link I have posted . You can order that part today. They have it in stock. Will Samsung install it for you if you buy the part. If not have a professional do it as it deals with the coolant gas.
They are very fast in getting me parts I have ordered from them in the past.
So if you really want to fix this refrigerator you could buy the replacement for the bad part today.
Your reference is not for the same part Refrigerator Condenser Coil DA97-13770A . Do you know that these are interchangeable?
If you search searsparts for the correct part you get this message:

Refrigerator Condenser DA97-13770A

Part #DA97-13770A

The manufacturer no longer makes this part and there's no substitute part

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I started with the Primary contact from the list that you sent me. John Cho Director of Customer Service. Have not heard as of today.
I am suppose to weight 5-7 days until I go to the Secondary contact. In the meantime this is what Samsung sent me.

Sorry, this part is No Longer Available at PartSelect.com, which means:

• The part is no longer sold by the manufacturer.
  • The manufacturer does not stock any substitute parts to replace this one.
  • We cannot obtain the part through any other means.
If I were pursuing this with Samsung I would not focus on the fact that the appliance needs repair at this time when it is out of warranty ( because all appliances fail at some point in time) but on the fact that Samsung can no longer provide the part to fix the problem. I would ask for a discount on a new Samsung appliance. You can decide how much discount to ask for. If you ask for too much they may simply ignore your request or refuse.

If they refuse to give you a discount that you will accept then it is time to move on to another appliance manufacturer since your refrigerator is not repairable.

You have not indicated where you are located, but if you live in a warm climate you can expect significantly shorter useful life from refrigeration appliances.
We live in Hawaii and we are happy if a refrigerator lasts 5 years. If you live in a warm climate you might search to see if any manufacturers offer a refrigerator designed for hot climates.

Jul 13, 2020
No i am not sure. That part comes up for your appliance. It maybe the same part or it might be a bad cross reference. If not sure asking a repairman might get a definitive answer.
I was hoping there would be an easy fix for you. You might be able to find a used one from a repairman that does Samsung appliances. I know the guy who fixes out items has a large assortment of parts he has removed from appliances that were junked.
I wish you good luck with your Samsung contacts. I understand how hard it is when things do not last.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m with Comicman- have you tried calling another appliance repair store to see if they might have the part?

I truly think they make appliances to be throw away now a day. Except I don’t think they realize when they make these poor quality appliances we will never buy that brand again. We’ve had a lot of luck buying based on Consumer Reports.

Jul 31, 2020
No i am not sure. That part comes up for your appliance. It maybe the same part or it might be a bad cross reference. If not sure asking a repairman might get a definitive answer.
I was hoping there would be an easy fix for you. You might be able to find a used one from a repairman that does Samsung appliances. I know the guy who fixes out items has a large assortment of parts he has removed from appliances that were junked.
I wish you good luck with your Samsung contacts. I understand how hard it is when things do not last.
Thank you for your understanding and your response to my problem. Take Care

Jun 24, 2019
A long time ago when I worked on issues involving energy use labeling (you'll see the stickers on refrigerators and other appliances) one fact we learned is that a slight majority of refrigerators are purchased by people who neither use them nor pay the electric bills. Think landlords and builders/developers. This, in addition to Gresham's law (the bad drives out the good), there is significant price pressure to keep prices down because price is the leading determining factor in purchasing for the folks who neither use them nor pay the electric bill.

To be sure, OP has a high end refrigerator. But we have friends with built in Sub-Zeros who have had awful problems, even though covered by warranty or extended service contracts.

May 15, 2016
We are currently shopping for a refrigerator. We were surprised to learn from Consumer Reports that Samsung is near the bottom for reliability. LG on the other hand, is rated high. Sadly, our relatively new but way out of warranty LG also has parts that are no longer available. It is sad that the manufacturers do this. Planned obsolescence.