Expedia/Travelocity not issuing refunds

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2020
My daughter and I both booked flights on Air New Zealand. I booked directly with the airline. My daughter booked through Travelocity. When our flights were canceled, I easily got a refund from the airline. Daughter is only being offered flight credit by Travelocity.

Similarly, two of my friends booked themselves on the same flight to Ireland. One friend booked directly with Aer Lingus, the other booked with Expedia. When the flight was canceled, the one who booked direct, easily got a refund from the airline. The other cannot get Expedia to issue refund. They are only giving her flight credit.

What is going on here? The airlines are cooperating but travel sites are refusing refunds. Is this legal? Any suggestions on how to get the money back?

Obviously booking direct is best!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately they will have to deal with the OTAs. Perhaps sending this to them will help needs to show them the DOT rules on airlines canceling flights:

This event is going to be a big wake up call to people about using OTA’s.

Apr 10, 2020
Thanks, Neil. Both parties using the OTAs also bought travel insurance. Would that come into play at all? The flights were canceled by the airline not the travelers.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My daughter and I both booked flights on Air New Zealand. I booked directly with the airline. My daughter booked through Travelocity. When our flights were canceled, I easily got a refund from the airline. Daughter is only being offered flight credit by Travelocity.

Similarly, two of my friends booked themselves on the same flight to Ireland. One friend booked directly with Aer Lingus, the other booked with Expedia. When the flight was canceled, the one who booked direct, easily got a refund from the airline. The other cannot get Expedia to issue refund. They are only giving her flight credit.

What is going on here? The airlines are cooperating but travel sites are refusing refunds. Is this legal? Any suggestions on how to get the money back?

Obviously booking direct is best!
The airlines are covered/regulated by US DOT regulations. DOT has the ability to tell the airlines that their policies violate existing laws and regulations. OTAs are not (at least for now) regulated.

Reactions: jsmithw and Patina

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Online booking services such as the ones you mentioned, are run by computers. They spend their money on slick websites and national advertising. Their customer service is dismal. I think many of them could disappear, I don't know if they have the financial wherewithal to stay in business. Everyone who is holding a res from an online service should be contacting DOT to complain. If the airlines cancel the flights, the money should be coming back to the online service ... pax need to insist on refunds while the money is still there.

Reactions: jsmithw
Apr 10, 2020
I have an update. After 6 hours of online chats (2.5 hours yesterday and 3.5 hours today), the refund was approved. During those 6 hours I was repeatedly fed dishonest and false information from the Travelocity reps. One told me I might get a refund if the airlines get bailouts. It took hours.. but I finally outsmarted them with FACTS... and that facts were this: I had already called the airline, they told me the flight was indeed eligible for a refund, but I needed to work with my "travel agent" to get it processed. Luckily, Air New Zealand is AMAZING and they told me exactly what to say to the OTA. In a nutshell, I said this:

"I am here for a refund of my canceled flight. The U.S. Department of Transportation is requiring both U.S. and foreign carriers to provide prompt refunds to passengers for canceled flights. I do not want a travel voucher. If you need to call the airline while I wait, please do. They have already told me that I am eligible for a refund. I will wait while you call them." Bingo.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have an update. After 6 hours of online chats (2.5 hours yesterday and 3.5 hours today), the refund was approved. During those 6 hours I was repeatedly fed dishonest and false information from the Travelocity reps. One told me I might get a refund if the airlines get bailouts. It took hours.. but I finally outsmarted them with FACTS... and that facts were this: I had already called the airline, they told me the flight was indeed eligible for a refund, but I needed to work with my "travel agent" to get it processed. Luckily, Air New Zealand is AMAZING and they told me exactly what to say to the OTA. In a nutshell, I said this:

"I am here for a refund of my canceled flight. The U.S. Department of Transportation is requiring both U.S. and foreign carriers to provide prompt refunds to passengers for canceled flights. I do not want a travel voucher. If you need to call the airline while I wait, please do. They have already told me that I am eligible for a refund. I will wait while you call them." Bingo.
Well done, and thanks for sharing this information with all our readers. Congratulations!