Expedia took my money 2x!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2020
It all started in January of 2019 when I wanted to take a baby moon with my husband. I booked a trip for March 2019 to the Bahamas at Atlantis. I was weary as the zika virus had previously been an issue I thought it would be safest to purchase insurance (AIG) on the trip should we have to cancel due to a medical reason. When I booked the trip there were NO active warnings in the Bahamas about the Zika virus, my husband confirmed it with me. I wanted to be 100% sure that it was safe. A few days before the trip I looked on the CDC to make sure there was no active warning and to my dismay, there was a zika risk. Being 6 months pregnant at this time I did not want to risk the health of my baby, so we called and wanted to cancel and get a refund. We provided all the necessary documentation from the warnings from the CDC website, to my doctors note strongly advising me not to take the trip. They did not honor it and the hotel said they had no issues regarding the Zika virus. They told me they would give me 1 year to take the trip which I was not happy about because my baby would be 9 months and the last thing I want to do is lug a 9 month old crawling baby to a hotel room in another country, people do it but its not for me. Expedia gave me 1 year for the hotel and the airlines. Expedia/Atlantis told me that I had to pay for the hotel a 2nd time and AFTER taking the trip they would refund me the money from the 2nd time. This was to ensure I didn't cancel last minute, I tried to push back on this but they wouldn't budge. I disputed this trip with American Express with no success.

Fast forward to March of 2020 when I was forced to book my trip due to the 1 year voucher. I than PAID for this trip for the SECOND time, I was so reluctant that I waited until a month before booking the trip. Now the pandemic happened, I called them up to cancel the trip. They cancelled it, I called up the hotel for a refund on the recent trip and to discuss the original trip's voucher to be extended and they said to call Expedia. I than called Expedia several times and their system and phone calls were not going through. I just spoke to a "supervisor" who told me that they could offer me a 1 year voucher for this recent trip (the 2nd trip that I did not take, keep in mind i PAID FOR 2 TRIPS AND TOOK NONE!) and than the original trip she could do nothing about. I PAID FOR A TRIP I NEVER TOOK 2X. I could not even believe what I was hearing from this woman, she simply said these are our policies and there is nothing else I can do. I don't know what to do at this point. I am out $5,000 on this trip I never took. I want my money back so I can take a vacation when I see it is safe for myself and my family. My ideal situation would be to refund me entirely because I had insurance for the original trip and it was my word against the hotels, I have evidence from the CDC at that time as well as a doctors note. Please help me! I am losing sleep over this. Mine and my husbands businesses closed down due to this pandemic and we don't know when we are going to be allowed to reopen. We have 2 young kids and this is the last thing I want to worry about. My next step is to seek legal council.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The CDC removed they Bahamas from the Zika list in February of 2018.

“On February 2, 2018 the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) removed The Bahamas from its list of “Areas with Risk of Zika,” which, according to their website, identifies places where pregnant women should avoid travel, and where travelers should strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites and sexual transmission during and after the trip.”

Where did you see Zika on their website last year?

Reactions: Patina

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I am sorry, but I do not understand why you agreed to purchase a second trip when you had a credit already. The reasoning does not make sense or seem plausible. No airline, hotel or otherwise would suggest purchasing a trip already purchased then refunding it after you took it.

Regarding the insurance claim, why didn't you file a claim with AIG for the cancellation of the first trip? If you had the required documentation for the claim, AIG would have refunded you the cost of the trip, regardless of what the hotel says. CDC reports do not address specific businesses but rather regions and/or countries so if they recommended that pregnant women should not travel to a certain country and that was a covered reason to file a claim, then you should have filed a claim.

Reactions: Neil Maley