Expedia not refunding cancelled Air Ticket fare. Kindly help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 2, 2016
Hi,

I would like to inform that Expedia is causing me problem by not refunding Air tickets which I had cancelledwithin 4 hrs of making the reservation on 12-Aug-2016. As per Expedia policy, since I had cancelled within 24 hrs I am eligible for 100% refund in line with US Govt. guideline.

I had purchased couple of tickets of "Air India" thru Expedia.com for travel of my wife and kid to New York.
Here are the details of the reservation. I had used debit card of my account at PNC Bank for the transaction.

Expedia Itinerary Number: xxxxxxxx
Reservation made on: 12-Aug-2016
Cancelled on: 12-Aug-2016

Its more than 15 days now and still there is no trace of my refund from Expedia. I have called Expedia several times over since then but the agents keep on giving inconsistent replies which I find misleading. Here are what Expedia agents communicated to me all this while.

1) When I first Expedia regarding the refund, I was told that it will take max. 3 working days for the refund to post to my bank account since the transaction did NOT go thru to the airlines.

2) After 3 working days, when I contacted Expedia they mentioned that the amount had gone thru the air lines and it will take max. 14 days to get the refund.

3) Now that 14 working days have elapsed, I contacted Expedia and the agent informed me that the transaction did NOT go thru to the airlines(contrary to what they informed my earlier, please refer point#2). Based on this, I then requested them to call up my bank and inquire why the refund did not post yet. Bank agent clearly told Expedia that bank has received to refund request till now. On hearing the same Expedia called up Air India and then informed that the transaction had gone thru and it might take 8 weeks for refund.

So, basically on the same day Expedia gave me entirely contradictory statements and also is not at all prompt in resolving the issue. This I now feel is an attempt to keep misleading me so that I give up...amounting to fraud by Expedia.

Please note that Air India never responds to me; informing me that since I had purchased the tickets at Expedia I should contact them only for refund and other issues.

In this circumstance, I am requesting you to kindly help me in getting the refund.

Please let me know if any other detail is required on this, I will be glad to provide.

Thanks
Siddhartha Datta

Staff note: this post was edited to remove confirmation number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How far in advance was your flight? Was it more than 7 days from the date you booked? The 24 hour rule does not apply for tickets booked within 7 days of the flight.

If the flight was more than 7 days from the day you booked, call your credit card company and file a dispute.

Reactions: AAGK
R

Realitoes

How far in advance was your flight? Was it more than 7 days from the date you booked? The 24 hour rule does not apply for tickets booked within 7 days of the flight.
I would agree if this was booked with an airline. Since this was booked with an OTA, the DOT rules do not apply. But, it does appear Expedia does offer a free cancellation within 24 hours of booking.

Capture.JPG

I would recommend hanging up the phone and start writing. Use the company contacts for Expedia, starting with the [email protected] address write them explaining you cancelled the tickets within 24 hours and would like your refund. Give them a couple days, then start moving up the chain, writing each individually, given them a few days to respond before moving to the next one. Good luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would agree if this was booked with an airline. Since this was booked with an OTA, the DOT rules do not apply. But, it does appear Expedia does offer a free cancellation within 24 hours of booking.

View attachment 1098

I would recommend hanging up the phone and start writing. Use the company contacts for Expedia, starting with the [email protected] address write them explaining you cancelled the tickets within 24 hours and would like your refund. Give them a couple days, then start moving up the chain, writing each individually, given them a few days to respond before moving to the next one. Good luck.
I still say the transaction should be disputed with the credit card company. Try writing but a debit card has less customer protection than using a credit card. If it were me, I wouldn't waste time. They have the policy in writing and proof they canceled within Expedias time frame.

Sep 2, 2016

If the flight was more than 7 days from the day you booked, call your credit card company and file a dispute.

If the flight was more than 7 days from the day you booked, call your credit card company and
file a dispute.
Hi Neil,
These two tickets that I had purchased thru Expedia on 12-Aug were for travel on 15-Oct...and I had cancelled them on the same day(i.e. 12-Aug).

Also, I have already raised dispute with my bank for this transaction. Please advise further.

Thanks
Siddhartha

Sep 2, 2016
I still say the transaction should be disputed with the credit card company. Try writing but a debit card has less customer protection than using a credit card. If it were me, I wouldn't waste time. They have the policy in writing and proof they canceled within Expedias time frame.
Hi Neil,

Like I mentioned in your earlier post, I have already file for dispute with my bank.

Also, Expedia agents have already confirmed that as per their policy, customers are eligible for 100% refund if air tickets are cancelled within 24 hrs....and this applies to all kind of air tickets.

My tickets of Air India were refundable tickets and Expedia agents confirmed my several times that both Expedia and the airlines are processing the refund. But there is no real progress on the ground.

Please advise.

Thanks
Siddhartha

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I think if you haven't already emailed Expedia at the customer service email address, please do so. Wait until late next week and move up the ladder, one at a time. When emailing, make your email concise and use bullet points if you need to. The person reading your letter reads letters similar to yours all day long. You would like them to be able to understand the issue in a few moments and route it it to the appropriate person or issue the refund if they are able. You may post your email here prior to sending and ask for comments. Good luck.

Reactions: Siddhartha Datta

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My colleagues are right, Siddhartha, you need to deal with this in writing. I'm glad you've filed a dispute with your bank. Online companies like Expedia have very small customer service departments and handle requests like yours very slowly. They hope that people will get tired and go away. So you need to be polite, patient and persistent. Give Customer Service a week to respond, then send to the next executive on our Company Contacts list. Wait a week between each submission. Expedia will string you out as long as they can, so hopefully your bank will be of some help here to make you whole. We always advise booking direct with airlines and hotels. As you see, by working with an internet company, you are forced to deal only with them and they are very slow to help. I'm sorry this happened.

Nov 3, 2015
Unfortunately, your bank has probably the biggest immediate "leverage" against Expedia. Have you talked to the unit in the bank that you've filed the dispute with? I would also continue to work through our company contacts list, as JSN mentions above, as well as working through your bank.

Reactions: Siddhartha Datta
Sep 2, 2016

View attachment 1098

Hi,

Thanks for your advise. I have accordingly dropped an email to [email protected] informing them of the situation and providing all relevant details; waiting for their reply.

Thanks
Siddhartha

Sep 2, 2016
I think if you haven't already emailed Expedia at the customer service email address, please do so. Wait until late next week and move up the ladder, one at a time. When emailing, make your email concise and use bullet points if you need to. The person reading your letter reads letters similar to yours all day long. You would like them to be able to understand the issue in a few moments and route it it to the appropriate person or issue the refund if they are able. You may post your email here prior to sending and ask for comments. Good luck.
Hi,

Thanks for the advise. I have just dropped a concise e-mail to Expedia; waiting for reply.

Thanks
Siddhartha

Sep 2, 2016
My colleagues are right, Siddhartha, you need to deal with this in writing. I'm glad you've filed a dispute with your bank. Online companies like Expedia have very small customer service departments and handle requests like yours very slowly. They hope that people will get tired and go away. So you need to be polite, patient and persistent. Give Customer Service a week to respond, then send to the next executive on our Company Contacts list. Wait a week between each submission. Expedia will string you out as long as they can, so hopefully your bank will be of some help here to make you whole. We always advise booking direct with airlines and hotels. As you see, by working with an internet company, you are forced to deal only with them and they are very slow to help. I'm sorry this happened.
Hi Madam,

Thanks for your advice. I have just dropped a email to Expedia and am waiting for this response.

Please advise if I need to wait for a week for them to reply or should I send to the next executive if reply does not come in a couple of days( as suggested by someone in this forum).

Regards
Siddhartha

Sep 2, 2016
Unfortunately, your bank has probably the biggest immediate "leverage" against Expedia. Have you talked to the unit in the bank that you've filed the dispute with? I would also continue to work through our company contacts list, as JSN mentions above, as well as working through your bank.
Hi,

Thanks for the information. Would you please advise in details how exactly I can work with my bank to expedite the refund.

Thanks
Siddhartha

Nov 3, 2015
I can't tell you how it would work with your bank, but with my credit union, I'd call the dispute resolutions department and ask what progress has been made, what the expected timeline is, and what I might do to assist them in resolving the problem quickly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Siddhartha, wait the week and if Expedia doesn't reply or gives you "it takes 5-500 days to get a refund" story, then write to the first executive and advise them that because you have continued to get a runaround you have initiated a dispute with your bank.

It may just force Expedia to give you the credit now vs. having a dispute against them. As long as you stated in your dispute with the bank that you canceled in the appropriate time frame and you have their emails that they would refund you and never have, you should be fine:

May 24, 2016
file a cfbp claim against expedia

The money will magically appear.

Its easy online form allows for you to write whst happened and also add attachments, where, if need be, you can write more.