Expedia not issuing the ticket even though confirmed them 3 times

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 27, 2020
  • My wife is pregnant and she can fly only until June 8, 2020. It is very very critical for her to come to USA for safer delivery before that.
  • I have chat with one of Expedia customer care representative on May 17, 2020 and he has rescheduled Itinerary #xxxxxxxxx for my wife and son for travel on Saturday June 7, 2020 from Mumbai to Chicago. I received two emails from Expedia on May 17, 2020 to confirm the reservation on June 7, 2020. They provided Lufthansa confirmation number as UIBXXX.
  • I can see the tickets on Lufthansa website as well
  • But this itinerary was not showing under my "upcoming" portion of the Expedia profile. It was showing under "Cancelled" section.
  • So I chat with another customer care representative on May 19, 2020
  • She told that it is some bug in the Expedia system. It will be updated in few days But I need not worry as the tickets are showing in Lufthansa website. So I did not worry for this.
  • I called Lufthansa on May 26, 2020 to book the seats for my wife and son. They told that the tickets are not yet issued by Expedia yet, and so they cannot reserve the seats. They told that they will still hold two economy seats for another 72 hours.
  • So I chat with another customer care representative on May 26, 2020 to issue the ticket. She checked and said that it will be issued in another two hours. She advised to call Lufthansa the next day (May 27, 2020) to book seats.
  • Then i went to bed and woke up to see an email from Expedia "[email protected]". It mentioned below:
    • Expedia is having issues in issuing the ticket and they asked to call 1 (877) 247-0153 immediately.
    • So I called that number and Priyanka was talking. She checked and told that she can not issue the ticket as there are no economy seats are available, but only first class seats are available,
    • She advised that she can cancel it and get full refund
  • I was frustrated and told her that my wife can not travel beyond that date and she is pregnant. I have followed up with Expedia 3 times to make sure the tickets are good. All the time they were saying it was good, and today you can't say as it can't be issued.
  • So I asked her to transfer to her supervisor. She told that she is working from home and so she can not transfer. But she gave another number (404-728-8787) to call and talk,
  • Then I called that number and Khaled was talking. He told that there are no issues in the ticket and he talked with the ticketing department, They advised him that the ticket will be issued in another 24 to 48 hours
  • I called Lufthansa again and they confirmed that two economy seats are on hold for me. They are only waiting for Expedia to issue the ticket.
I have emails from Expedia and chat with 3 agents to confirm that these two tickets are confirmed. They must issue the ticket and if there are only first class tickets, Expedia should bear the cost as it is not my mistake.

As my wife is pregnant, can you please provide high priority in resolving this issue? It is very very very critical for my family to make this journey and I dont want to miss the ticket because of Expedia's mistake.

May 27, 2020
The email that Expedia sent has only Lufthansa confirmation number. It does not have ticket number. When i check in Lufthansa website using confirmation number, it provides the e-ticket number.

Nov 22, 2019
Are you US citizen? I think the immigration ban applies to spouse of non US citizens. I don't know if Expedia has to check this but maybe it took times to do so, then the ticket were not available anymore. When someone on the chat says there is a bug, usually it means they don't know what's happening. They can't.

Also it is a bit risky to get a ticket June 7th if your wife can't travel after June 8th... for her, but also if there is a delay or an immigration officer in a bad mood.

I would suggest that you get a refund on this, get an earlier date, and booking directly with the airline. If you think you are loosing money because of the fare you found first, think about people who bought ticket same day when Trump put a surprise ban from Europe, or the costs if your wife has to stay there. It mights be best to let this go for now.

May 27, 2020
Unfortunately only two flights are scheduled from India to USA before June 8. June 5 was booked full and the only available was June 7th! I already had a booked ticket through Expedia for May 24, 2020 which got cancelled by airlines. So I chose the option to reschedule.

Expedia now says that they are currently issuing the tickets for only persons with journey in next 72 hours. Are they telling the truth? Can they issue the ticket just 3 days before even though the booking is mage like a month ago? Wont the pries go up?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are there ticket numbers on the confirmation? Not just an itinerary number, but actual tickets next to her name?

Why don’t you ask Expedia for a refund if they haven’t already issued the tickets and book in your own directly with the airline? This likely wouldn’t be a problem is you booked directly. I have never heard of not issuing the tickets right away or within 72 hours of travel. The airline can void those tickets if they remain unpaid.

You can also go to our company contacts page and go to the online travel agency section, find contacts for Expedia and start emailing.

Jun 24, 2019
Unfortunately only two flights are scheduled from India to USA before June 8. June 5 was booked full and the only available was June 7th! I already had a booked ticket through Expedia for May 24, 2020 which got cancelled by airlines. So I chose the option to reschedule.

Expedia now says that they are currently issuing the tickets for only persons with journey in next 72 hours. Are they telling the truth? Can they issue the ticket just 3 days before even though the booking is mage like a month ago? Wont the pries go up?
You may need to decide what is more important, the price you locked in (or that you think you locked in), or your wife's medical care in the United States. You have now identified that there is only one flight on Lufthansa in the next two weeks which is available. In today's environment, that flight could be cancelled. Or new travel restrictions imposed. And Expedia is overwhelmed with folks whose travel plans have changed, each of whom thinks his or her situation should have priority.

If it was my wife and baby, I'd be at the airport today with my credit card.

May 27, 2020
Are there ticket numbers on the confirmation? Not just an itinerary number, but actual tickets next to her name?

Why don’t you ask Expedia for a refund if they haven’t already issued the tickets and book in your own directly with the airline? This likely wouldn’t be a problem is you booked directly. I have never heard of not issuing the tickets right away or within 72 hours of travel. The airline can void those tickets if they remain unpaid.

You can also go to our company contacts page and go to the online travel agency section, find contacts for Expedia and start emailing.
  • Thank you for the response! There are no ticket number in the Expedia email. The expedia email was sent from "Travel Document" <[email protected]>.
  • When I use the confirmation number in Lufthansa, I get the e-ticket number. The screenshot is attached.
  • I raised your concern that ticket should be issues as soon as possible. She said that as it is COVID!9, they are prioritizing only for persons whose journey starts in next 72 hours.
  • I like your idea of booking directly in Lufthasa. But currently no other tickets available on this flight!
  • I have emailed to the contacts! Thank you again!

Attachments

May 27, 2020
You may need to decide what is more important, the price you locked in (or that you think you locked in), or your wife's medical care in the United States. You have now identified that there is only one flight on Lufthansa in the next two weeks which is available. In today's environment, that flight could be cancelled. Or new travel restrictions imposed. And Expedia is overwhelmed with folks whose travel plans have changed, each of whom thinks his or her situation should have priority.

If it was my wife and baby, I'd be at the airport today with my credit card.
  • Thank you the response!
  • This journey has been rescheduled for 5th time in last one month!!! I understand that it can be cancelled anytime.That is not in my control. So I am not worried on it.
  • But with the flight available, I have booked the tickets on May 17. Now, there are no tickets available on that flight as well. So I am stuck with Expedia to issue the ticket. Even though I can use my money, it is not helping! I have followed up four times with them. Each time they gave conflicting answer.
  • Representative #1 on Yesterday (5/26): Ticket will be issued in two hours. You can reserve seats in 24 hours with Lufthansa.
    Representative #2 (Priyanka) on today(5/27) morning call : I cant issue the ticket.. there is only fist class available now.. you can cancel and get refund
    Representative #3 (Khaled) on Today (5/27) after Priyanka call esclated: Ticket will be issued in 24 to 48 hours
    Representative #4 (Elizabeth): Ticket will be issued only before 72 hours of journey

Oct 10, 2018
where does it say as US citizen is not allowed?
It doesn't. If no one in your family is either a citizen or green card holder, this may be the problem, based on the proclamations. If at least one of you is a citizen or permanent resident, there is probably some other reason beyond the travel restrictions.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is one of those situations in life where you are between a rock and a hard place. If your wife's trip has to happen before a certain day, perhaps you need to forget about Expedia for now. They've certainly not given you any reason to think that they're competent. I hope you can book your family's tix directly with an airline and deal with Expedia later. I hope you don't have to take the chance she'll be denied boarding due to the pregnancy and can get her on a plane earlier.

May 27, 2020
Update: After continues calls and escalation to their supervisors from morning 8:00AM to them with different agents, they were finally able to issue the ticket with additional $320, that i have paid. But they also issued refund. It took 6 hours to get a supervisor on phone in this covid19 situation. I got ticket issued next day at 3:00 AM which is 19 hours of call duration to fix it.

Thank you all for fixing it!

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
May 27, 2020
It doesn't. If no one in your family is either a citizen or green card holder, this may be the problem, based on the proclamations. If at least one of you is a citizen or permanent resident, there is probably some other reason beyond the travel restrictions.
Law is straight forward. You cannot say as 'probably' for a law. If a person has proper visa and documents, he/she will be allowed to enter. There is no reason to doubt it. Where in the law says that if there is a citizen or Green card holder in the family, then it will be a problem for others to entry ? Can you please be more specific?

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Law is straight forward. You cannot say as 'probably' for a law. If a person has proper visa and documents, he/she will be allowed to enter. There is no reason to doubt it. Where in the law says that if there is a citizen or Green card holder in the family, then it will be a problem for others to entry ? Can you please be more specific?
It shouldn't be a problem as long as you are a US Citizen/lawfully legal resident (as spouses of such are exempt) or she hasn't recently been in China, Europe (Schengen area and the UK), Iran or Brazil. The way it is written, it is possible they may include flights connecting through these areas. If this applies, you may want to seek clarification from the US State Department.

Feb 3, 2019
The way it is written, it is possible they may include flights connecting through these areas. If this applies, you may want to seek clarification from the US State Department.
Better to check with DHS - specifically, Customs and Border Protection. They're the ones who decide whether any traveler actually gets to enter the United States.

That being said, the U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai likely can provide information specifically to travelers from that area, as available flights and routes are currently so restricted.

(Under normal circumstances, given all the possible options for airlines, connections, and ports of entry, and ultimate destinations, expecting the State Department to advise individuals on their personal travel options is not appropriate.)