Expedia holding back $2400 refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 17, 2019
I had booked a one-way business class flight using Expedia with Air India paying $2,440.10. Expedia even confirmed that the tickets are booked and I don't have to do anything. However, this was all incorrect.
While trying to check in the day before the flight, I found out from Air India that the flight was cancelled 5 days ago & they had informed Expedia. Expedia tier 1 & 2 customer care [with whom I've spend around 5 hours on the phone] confirmed that Air India told them of the cancellation but Expedia did not save this. I had to book another flight last minute on the same day on Expedia using my account with separate payment to make my trip.
I should be asking for compensation for this horrible experience and large additional expense but all I wanted was a refund of my flight with Air India.

Air India confirmed if booked directly, since they cancelled it, they would have refunded in 21 days. Expedia customer care is sending me in circles saying they have to email x & y from Air India. I obviously don't want to escalate this and just want my money back. This is a very large amount for me since I have to book this using my personal card and then expense it but this cancelled flight can't be expensed. Please help me get this refund.
I'm waiting for over 30 days now.

Oct 17, 2019 - Departure Nonstop Total travel time: 20 h 25 m San Francisco Bengaluru 20 h 25 m SFO 11:30am BLR 8:25pm +1 day (Arrives on Oct 18, 2019) Air India 174 Business (Z) | Confirm seats with the airline

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Wait one week for a reply before moving to the next name on the list.

Question: why did you book through Expedia and not directly with the airline? For future trips, book directly through the airline so that 1) you will be notified by the airline of any cancellations or changes to your itinerary, and 2) so that if this ever happens again you are dealing directly with the airline, not a super unhelpful OTA.

Nov 17, 2019
Wait one week for a reply before moving to the next name on the list.

Question: why did you book through Expedia and not directly with the airline? For future trips, book directly through the airline so that 1) you will be notified by the airline of any cancellations or changes to your itinerary, and 2) so that if this ever happens again you are dealing directly with the airline, not a super unhelpful OTA.
Thanks Patina. I have no excuse for the booking with Expedia. I usually book with the airline, this was a moment of weakness after finding a business class ticket within the travel cap. Thanks I'll wait a week and move to the next name on the list.

I've booked using the Chase Reserve - would you recommend I dispute this since I never received the service paid for ?

Reactions: Patina
Sep 19, 2015
Thanks Patina. I have no excuse for the booking with Expedia. I usually book with the airline, this was a moment of weakness after finding a business class ticket within the travel cap. Thanks I'll wait a week and move to the next name on the list.

I've booked using the Chase Reserve - would you recommend I dispute this since I never received the service paid for ?
Dispute it. The airline canceled the flight, you showed up and you had to buy a new ticket as there was no flight.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks everyone! I've filed a dispute with the details. I'll post updates as I receive them.

May 30, 2019
I think you know this but just in case ... Keep in mind that your dispute should be only for the cost of the cancelled Air India flight. You cannot dispute the increased cost of the replacement flight. Chase Sapphire Reserve customer service is high quality, so (hopefully) they should complete a investigation in your favor.

Nov 17, 2019
quick question: Should I be calling Chase Reserver's customer service after reporting the dispute online? - you are right, they were super helpful the last time I spoke to them for something else.

May 30, 2019
You should receive an email (or depending on your communication preferences with them, a snail mail letter) from Chase confirming that you filed a dispute. That confirms that Chase is researching your dispute.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61