Expedia AARP Travelguard

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 21, 2020
Hello I purchased a flight on Aer Lingus in October of 2019 through the Expedia-aarp website. At that time I also purchased flight insurance with Travelguard.

Due to this virus my hours at work are now being cut will I be able to get my refund for my flight?

Thank you
Alison Hawkins

Apr 21, 2020
When are you flying? Insurance doesn’t usually cover financial issues. But if the airline cancels your flight you should be due a refund.
Our flight is in July but since I'm being furloughed I can no longer afford to travel.

Apr 21, 2020
Our flight is July but since being furloughed I won't be able to afford to travel. There is no recourse I'm just out the ticket money even with flight insurance?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Alison, you will need to read the terms of your insurance policy. If you want to post those terms here (remove any personal information), we can help you decipher if you are able to file a claim with Travelguard. Many policies do have a provision regarding job loss but I am not sure about a reduction in pay/hours.

Or, as @Neil Maley stated, you can wait to see if the airline cancels your flight. Then you would be eligible for a refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your only option is to wait and see if it’s canceled. If you cancel now you will only receive a credit less any cancellations fees if they aren’t issuing waivers.

Insurance most likely doesn’t cover this unless you have a policy that covers job loss and you actually lost your job. Without seeing the policy we can’t tell you.

Apr 21, 2020
Flight Protection Plan
009175 P5 7/2019
Coverage effective date02/22/2020
Total cost$114.00
Trip details
Departure date07/23/2020
Return date08/02/2020
Trip deposit date07/23/2020
Contact Information
Insured on PolicyTrip Cost
Coverages & Benefit Limits
Standard Packages
ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES$5000.00Per Insured
ANCILLARY EVACUATION BENEFITS$5000.00Per Insured
BAGGAGE AND PERSONAL EFFECTS$1000.00Per Insured
EMERGENCY EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS$50000.00Per Insured
EMERGENCY TRAVEL ASSISTANCEIncludedPer Insured
FLIGHT ACCIDENT INSURANCE$50000.00Per Insured
TRAVEL MEDICAL ASSISTANCEIncludedPer Insured
TRIP CANCELLATION100% Trip CostPer Insured
TRIP INTERRUPTION100% Trip CostPer Insured
WORLD WIDE TRAVEL ASSISTANCEIncludedPer Insure

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Page 4 on the right hand side and page 5 on the left hand side list what you are covered for. Unfortunately only if you actually lose your job would you be able to put in a claim and there are rules about how long you had to be employed. Furloughed means this is a temporary layoff, correct? You might want to call the insurance company and ask if you are covered if you are furloughed at the time of the flight.

If worse comes to worse and the flight isn’t canceled, as long as you cancel before you should be eligible to receive a credit for a future trip. I’m really sorry this is happening but I hope you will be back to work soon .

Apr 21, 2020
Thanks for your replies. If Aer Lingus doesn't cancel my flight can I cancel and get a refund? How far in advance must Aer Lingus tell me they are cancelling the flight, 1 week 24 hrs? If they don't cancel how many day before my flight do I need to contact them to cancel? Finally do I cancel and speak with Aer Lingus or am I suppose to speak with Expedia AARP since that is who I booked though.

Aer Lingus says I need to speak with them and Expedia AARP says I need to speak with Aer Lingus

Thanks I'm looking forward to your reply.

Apr 21, 2020
If Aer Lingus cancels my flight do they have to notify me in writing and how far in advance do they need to notify me?

Will Aer Lingus notify me or Expedia-AARP ?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We don't know what Expedia sends out but since you booked through Expedia, Aer Lingus will notify Expedia, not you. You need to keep an eye on the flight and if you think it was canceled, call and ask Aer Lingus. When you find out is it is canceled, then you can go to Expedia and tell them the air was canceled and you are requesting a full refund. They will take longer than if you had booked direct because they have to go to ARC and request the refund.

In the future to avoid this from happening - book direct with the airline.