Exit row seats

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 27, 2018
This is why I grit my teeth every time I see people on these forums recommend a travel agent to prevent problems, they forget that many of the local travel agents are not that good. Here this travel agent couldn't even handle a simple reservation of booking a Comfort+ seat, instead it appears that the TA booked a std economy seat and then paid a seat selection fee. This is not what was asked for. What they were missing in what was chosen was The Early Boarding, Guaranteed Overhead space, a Big Selection of Snacks, Free drinks. All they got for their money was a seat that could be revoked by a gate agent or FA at their discretion and would have been forced to sit in a std economy seat without the legroom they had paid for.

May 30, 2019
Here this travel agent couldn't even handle a simple reservation of booking a Comfort+ seat, instead it appears that the TA booked a std economy seat and then paid a seat selection fee.
While I agree that some TA's are better than others, I'm not sure this TA did them wrong.

At first I thought their seat was Preferred rather than Comfort+. I asked about that earlier in this thread then did some other research. Some DL flights do have Comfort+ bulkhead, including regional jets and some widebodies that include a DL One Cabin. So, the OP may have had Comfort+ as requested.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
While I agree that some TA's are better than others, I'm not sure this TA did them wrong.

At first I thought their seat was Preferred rather than Comfort+. I asked about that earlier in this thread then did some other research. Some DL flights do have Comfort+ bulkhead, including regional jets and some widebodies that include a DL One Cabin. So, the OP may have had Comfort+ as requested.
I happen to agree. From what OP posted, I believe they May have been confused as to what they had, It sounds like they had bulkhead seats, not exit due, which would be ComfortPlus. If we knew the flight number and date, a search on seat guru would yield an answer.

Reactions: VoR61
Sep 27, 2018

Oh okay, now I remember the 757 OW version has Comfort+ where about 1/4 of the seats are exit row, even ones that don't like it from the seat map. Really odd configuration, a number of the seats do not have full recline and most are next to the bathroom. One of the poorer planning jobs by Delta.

Reactions: Skippy and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The sheer amount of information a traveller is expected to have grows by the month. It's hard to keep up with it, and takes a great deal of time and effort. I haven't used a TA in years (except for a wonderful cruise expert) because I couldn't find one who paid attention to the details after my TA ran off with a Frenchman. But some of our OPs are so ill-informed that they shouldn't be booking travel on their own. We here on this forum have little choice but to recommend that they seek out a good TA ... even tho we know that all TAs are not created equal. If I were forced to use a TA tomorrow, I think my basic criteria would be to give him/her an assignment and carefully watch for the ability to instantly comprehend all the details and never leave a thread loose. I don't think that membership in organizations is much of a criteria to judge a good TA ... but I really don't know.

Reactions: Patina and VoR61
Sep 27, 2018
The sheer amount of information a traveller is expected to have grows by the month. It's hard to keep up with it, and takes a great deal of time and effort. I haven't used a TA in years (except for a wonderful cruise expert) because I couldn't find one who paid attention to the details after my TA ran off with a Frenchman. But some of our OPs are so ill-informed that they shouldn't be booking travel on their own. We here on this forum have little choice but to recommend that they seek out a good TA ... even tho we know that all TAs are not created equal. If I were forced to use a TA tomorrow, I think my basic criteria would be to give him/her an assignment and carefully watch for the ability to instantly comprehend all the details and never leave a thread loose. I don't think that membership in organizations is much of a criteria to judge a good TA ... but I really don't know.
While I agree there are people who need a high quality TA, the sad fact is that most of them will be as successful as finding a high quality investment adviser. Honestly, most of the people having issues with a trip would have probably chosen a TA from a local office that whose main strength is handing out maps and provide emergency towing. While there can be some good ones, most are just following a script without holistically considering their clients, just like on this thread.

Feb 3, 2019
While there can be some good ones, most are just following a script without holistically considering their clients, just like on this thread.
While "caveat emptor" always applies, and solid advice on selecting a good TA would be useful, I don't understand how it's helpful to slam "most" TAs as less than competent. It's unclear the TA was even at fault here. The OP stated they chose the exit row seats along with the TA, so it's possible they misunderstood the serious physical requirements for exit row passengers and confirmed to the TA that they met them.

I'm not sure why the OP didn't go back to the TA with his concerns in the first place. (It's also unclear he was using an actual TA, as opposed to booking flights through the cruise line.) At any rate, the OP has resolved his seat assignment situation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
While "caveat emptor" always applies, and solid advice on selecting a good TA would be useful, I don't understand how it's helpful to slam "most" TAs as less than competent. It's unclear the TA was even at fault here. The OP stated they chose the exit row seats along with the TA, so it's possible they misunderstood the serious physical requirements for exit row passengers and confirmed to the TA that they met them.

I'm not sure why the OP didn't go back to the TA with his concerns in the first place. (It's also unclear he was using an actual TA, as opposed to booking flights through the cruise line.) At any rate, the OP has resolved his seat assignment situation.
I think they had bulkhead seats, not exit row. If that’s the case- the TA did nothing wrong. Again- if we had the flight number, date of flight and know what seats they originally had- we can verify what seats they had.

Reactions: FrankL183

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I think they had bulkhead seats, not exit row. If that’s the case- the TA did nothing wrong. Again- if we had the flight number, date of flight and know what seats they originally had- we can verify what seats they had.
I was on an Air Canada flight on the planes that are 2/3/2 seating and the bulkhead behind the middle bathrooms were listed as exit row when I selected them. But the fight attendants only gave the exit row questions to the people in the 2 seats right next to the doors on either side and left me in the middle 3 seats alone. I'm guessing the computer code might only let them select a row to label exit and not the seat?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I was on an Air Canada flight on the planes that are 2/3/2 seating and the bulkhead behind the middle bathrooms were listed as exit row when I selected them. But the fight attendants only gave the exit row questions to the people in the 2 seats right next to the doors on either side and left me in the middle 3 seats alone. I'm guessing the computer code might only let them select a row to label exit and not the seat?
Yes. If you aren’t in the seats that have the emergency exit door- they don’t usually have the requirement that you have to be able to help others out in an emergency. But bulkhead seats have their own issues. You have more legroom but you have to put all your belongings in the overhead for takeoff and landing - which means up and down into the overhead if you want a book or magazine you’ve brought with you, since there is no seat in front of you to put your carry on.

Reactions: justlisa and VoR61
Sep 27, 2018
But I have seen situations where they are treated as exit row seats, meaning minors and others cannot sit there, like in skippys 757-200 Hawaii row 19 DEF are all considered exit row seats because 19F hs access to the exit row door.

Sep 27, 2018

Let's get real. The inexperienced travelers seen on this forum that could use help are not going to interview to find a great TA, they are going to go to their local strip mall or AAA office. And truly some like the couple from WV need to meet face-to-face and have a TA go over the requirements line-by-line pointing out each item.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think we've adequately helped in the OP on this thread.
I agree with Skippy. We really don't need wrangling amongst ourselves. Think of us as a team. State your opinion and advice, agree to disagree if appropriate ... trying to make the other guy agree with you makes the team look silly. The biggest challenge we have as advocates is correcting someone's bad advice ... without making that person look bad. Some of us have to work hard at tact and diplomacy!

Reactions: mmb and BittyBoo

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Let's get real. The inexperienced travelers seen on this forum that could use help are not going to interview to find a great TA, they are going to go to their local strip mall or AAA office. And truly some like the couple from WV need to meet face-to-face and have a TA go over the requirements line-by-line pointing out each item.
Stereotyping is uncool and totally uncalled for. This forum exists to help everyone in a non-judgmental manner. No doubt, a high percentage of posters find themselves needing consumer advocacy advice not because of lack of intelligence, but because they made an honest mistake.

Jan 9, 2015
We're 75 and still in exit row and fully capable of meeting federal requirements. Just flew PDX to PVR yesterday and had empty seat between us! I don't mind an infrequent upgrade to first, but don't want to be on standby list for upgrade to 'comfort, prefe

Jan 4, 2020
For those saying that they didn't have C+ seats and have to be at a bulkhead, this isn't true. A321 has C+ exit row seats that are not bulkhead.