Exchangeable tickets?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 20, 2020
American Airlines AAdvantage - Called to exchange ticket home which was in Florida. Paid extra so I would have an exchangeable ticket so when I called to do this I was told that didn't matter if I had an exchangeable ticket, so I had to purchase new ticket for $350 to fly one way home after already paying $240 was a round trip ticket. Has this happened to anyone else? Also charged an extra $25 because I called them instead of doing it myself on my phone? Isn't that a ticket agents job to book flights? So confused & aggravated. I've googled this place and can't find any information as to Why? Why buy exchangeable tickets when it doesn't do any good? Any help on how to contact them would be great, probably will get a $25 charge if I call them!?!

Sep 4, 2019
Just to clarify - this is a problem with American? Was it accidentally posted under Frontier? Or were you trying to rebook with a different airline?

Sep 19, 2015
American Airlines AAdvantage - Called to exchange ticket home which was in Florida. Paid extra so I would have an exchangeable ticket so when I called to do this I was told that didn't matter if I had an exchangeable ticket, so I had to purchase new ticket for $350 to fly one way home after already paying $240 was a round trip ticket. Has this happened to anyone else? Also charged an extra $25 because I called them instead of doing it myself on my phone? Isn't that a ticket agents job to book flights? So confused & aggravated. I've googled this place and can't find any information as to Why? Why buy exchangeable tickets when it doesn't do any good? Any help on how to contact them would be great, probably will get a $25 charge if I call them!?!
Unless you had a fully refundable/changeable ticket -- very high fare economy -- there is usually a change fee and fare difference involved. What did the original ticket confirmation say? For most AA restricted economy fares the change fee is $200 and fare difference.

A Basic Economy ticket would not have been changeable at all and the entire value of the ticket would have been lost.

The fees are listed here

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/optional-service-fees.jsp

Tickets issued by Reservations $25 - domestic travel

Voluntary change to ticket before day of travel $200 - domestic travel

Yes the airlines do often charge for a passenger calling in for the ticket agent to change -- that is their job but a passenger has to pay when they do not want to do it themselves. This is the state of airline travel and has been for many years so it is doubtful that it will change.

Nov 22, 2019
My understanding it that you bought a regular economy ticket (which can be exchanged compared to a basic economy ticket, which can't be changed at all). If you buy $1000 ticket as a basic economy (non exchangeable), and need to change it, you would loose your $1000. If it was a regular economy (exhangeable) you would be able to use the $1000 already paid, paid additional $200 fees, and any difference of fare.

If I understand well, when you called, a one-way was $350. The agent tried to use the value of your ticket ($240 round trip, so let say $120 each way). To change it, you would have pay $350-$120+$200, which is much more than buying a new ticket at $350 and lossing your existing ticket. There is no fees to change a flight but $25 to book a new one.

IF you had to change for medical reasons and can prove it, they will refund you the remaining value of the original ticket (I said $120 but it can be more or less), and you can do it online. You can also ask to waive the $25 fees as a courtesy as you originally wanted to change your ticket.

Jan 20, 2020
Thank you everyone for your response. But when I purchased these online (from laptop not phone) It showed me an up charge of $40 for a exchangeable ticket which I paid in case I needed to change the flight. There is nothing said about refundable when purchased. This is their statement,
AAdvantage® award reinstatement / reissuance chargesExpand
Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage® travel award reservations with no charge incurred. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.
Total cost was $380.70 w/$25 chg applied. This if false advertising when purchasing tickets, especially know when going in I may have to change a date. Flying out of KY I purchased it this way on purpose because you never know what the weather is going to be in January, always high chance of snow or ice. I made this purchase in October 2019. I'm ok with a change fee of $200, but not $380.70!! This is Outrageous for the older community not that familiar with technology of doing everything on their phone.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you everyone for your response. But when I purchased these online (from laptop not phone) It showed me an up charge of $40 for a exchangeable ticket which I paid in case I needed to change the flight. There is nothing said about refundable when purchased. This is their statement,
Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage® travel award reservations with no charge incurred. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.
Total cost was $380.70 w/$25 chg applied. This if false advertising when purchasing tickets, especially know when going in I may have to change a date. Flying out of KY I purchased it this way on purpose because you never know what the weather is going to be in January, always high chance of snow or ice. I made this purchase in October 2019. I'm ok with a change fee of $200, but not $380.70!! This is Outrageous for the older community not that familiar with technology of doing everything on their phone.
I moved this to the American Airlines forum.

Did you book this with points? What was your original ticketing from and to and what are you changing it to? What are the travel dates?

Reactions: VoR61
Sep 19, 2015
You are quoting a section which refers to mileage award tickets --- AAdvantage tickets are paid with miles from a frequest flyer account and are different from the cash tickets.

How did you pay?

Jan 20, 2020
No points. Booked in October flew out January 14th, was suppose to come home January 21. Got lost in Miami for over 5 hours and didn't want to go back there. So I changed locations from Miami to Ft Lauderdale to fly out and booked earlier flight to come home January 19.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No points. Booked in October flew out January 14th, was suppose to come home January 21. Got lost in Miami for over 5 hours and didn't want to go back there. So I changed locations from Miami to Ft Lauderdale to fly out and booked earlier flight to come home January 19.
If you didn’t book an AA Advantage award ticket, the terms you quote are not applicable for your ticket. I believe you simply bought a main cabin ticket, not an exchangeable ticket.

You changed your entire ticket so you basically booked a new ticket.

Nov 22, 2019
If you didn’t book an AA Advantage award ticket, the terms you quote are not applicable for your ticket. I believe you simply bought a main cabin ticket, not an exchangeable ticket.

You changed your entire ticket so you basically booked a new ticket.
Yes, I checked and the difference between basic economy and main cabin was $46 on the day I selected (CVG MIA) so that's for sure what was booked. It also says "Flight changes allowed (fee applies)"

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
What that means is you are able to change your ticket for a fee ($200) AND the difference between the fare that you originally purchased and the fare of the new ticket.

So, the $380.70 = $200 for the change fee + $180.70 for the change in fare from the original ticket to the new ticket. Sometimes the fare doesn't change or changes slightly, sometimes it is a significant change.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Michelle, I hope my colleagues have explained the situation to you. Basically you can change or cancel a tix for a fee PLUS the amount of the airfare at the moment. This does catch infrequent travellers by surprise.

You state: "This is outrageous for the older community not that familiar with technology of doing everything on their phone." Travel plans should never be booked using a phone. Always use a computer so you see the whole screen and can better make your way methodically through the process. It's not an age-related, nor technology-related thing. You should not feel badly ... Silicon Valley engineers who are 35 years old make mistakes booking travel on their phone all the time. In addition, entering your credit card details on your phone is never a good idea.

Jan 20, 2020
It doesn't state any of that online when purchasing? Just stated for a fee you can buy an exchangeable ticket, which is very misleading. How do you read between the lines? Surely I'm not the only one with this confusing issue. I plan on doing more traveling, how do know what you're really getting? I believe they do this on purpose to get more money out of a person!! So what started as a roundtrip costing $246.60 has now costed me a
Total $627.30? Fortunately I'm still working and not dependent on SS, but look how many people are & the working class who have to save forever and budget their trips. Taking advantage of the older community is just Not right.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Can you show us where you found this information? Did you book directly with AA?

When you book, you get three choices - Basis economy, main cabin and first class. For Main Cabin it says you are allowed to make a change and a fee applied- the change fee and additional price of the ticket. So you did receive what you booked.

In the future, if you aren’t a frequent flier and don’t understand what you are purchasing you should call AA and book your ticket so they can explain the differences. $25 over the phone is worth not having to pay over $300 for a new ticket because you didn’t understand the terms of the ticket,

When you are buying your own tickets, you are responsible for reading up to fully understand the limits or restrictions in what you are purchasing.

Main Cabin
  • Good value with benefits
    Round trip
    $ 256
    >
    • Choose your seat (fee may apply)
    • Eligible for upgrades on American flights
    • Flight changes allowed (fee applies)
    • General boarding

Jan 20, 2020
Exactly thank you!! I was on my laptop with a full screen. I had an appointment in Miami and they also told me to get "exchangeable" tickets. So I was very cautious to make sure I seen that word and it increased the ticket price. I don't take my laptop on vacation with me ever, need a break from that too. So all I had on me was my phone, so a $25 fee added just because a ticket agent had to do their job?? I don't get it? I've worked in customer service for almost 20 years but been working for 40 years. Can you imagine if all customer service now charged a fee for doing their job?

Jan 20, 2020
Booked online with AA. So when I got home I pulled the confirmation they sent, and can't find the word exchangeable on it anywhere. That's when I googled CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES thinking it was part of that? And that is how I found this group.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I personally read a lot of articles, here and elsewhere. Helps keep me up to date with what travel companies are doing. I also make sure I click on any hyperlink, look for asterisks, or help icons (usually a ? or i) and read all that.

But honestly, except for Southwest, you're going to have to choose between a cheap fare that has high penalties if you need any changes or really high fares where changes don't come with high penalties. If you originally purchased your flight as the one without penalties there's a good chance utf would have been more than what you ultimately pay

I also happen to like Southwest for various reasons, including their change fees only being the fare difference, so choose them for domestic travel unless I have a darn good reason not to.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
So all I had on me was my phone, so a $25 fee added just because a ticket agent had to do their job?? I don't get it? I've worked in customer service for almost 20 years but been working for 40 years. Can you imagine if all customer service now charged a fee for doing their job?
It's a cost saving thing. They'd rather you book on their website or deal with a travel agent. This means they don't need as many customer service people dealing with bookings. The $25 fee is more of an incentive for you to do what they want.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Exactly thank you!! I was on my laptop with a full screen. I had an appointment in Miami and they also told me to get "exchangeable" tickets. So I was very cautious to make sure I seen that word and it increased the ticket price. I don't take my laptop on vacation with me ever, need a break from that too. So all I had on me was my phone, so a $25 fee added just because a ticket agent had to do their job?? I don't get it? I've worked in customer service for almost 20 years but been working for 40 years. Can you imagine if all customer service now charged a fee for doing their job?
It WAS exchangeable- but a fee applied. The fee was a $200 change fee plus the difference in cost of the ticket changing it to a different airport.

It sounds more that you needed a refundable ticket or flexible not an exchangeable ticket. They are two very different tickets and a refundable ticket often costs several times the cost of a main cabin fare.

I just priced a main cabin fare, PBI to JFK. Main cabin (which is what you bought) was $260. Flexible refundable was $1661. Is that worth it? Nope- I could buy a brand new ticket for much less than the price of the a refundable.