EVA Airlines refuses to refund tickets

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Lis

May 27, 2020
Hello, I would very much appreciate any assistance you can extend.
In January 2020, I purchased two round-trip tickets (one premium economy for my elderly mother and regular economy for myself) from Chicago O'Hare to Manila, Philippines. I used Lawrence Travel based in Glenview IL to book these tickets on EVA airlines. I have used the services of Lawrence Travel in the past and have been happy with them.

My mom and I were to fly out early February 2020 but days prior to our departure, Taal Volcano in the Philippines erupted and Manila airport closed. Anticipating travel difficulties to and from the Philippines because of the eruption and airport closure, we cancelled our trip via Lawrence Travel and were told that we had one year to use the tickets. We hoped to travel in March 2020 but COVID-19 happened. We have, c/o Lawrence Travel, written twice to EVA airlines asking for a full refund. Weeks later, we were informed that our options are either to get a partial refund (they will deduct approximately $350 per ticket) or use the ticket within a year of purchase. I've since asked Lawrence Travel to request if it is possible for EVA airlines to give us a two year window to travel due to the pandemic, similar to what other airlines are offering. I have yet to hear back. Given the current economic situation, the full refund will certainly help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you have travel insurance that would have covered this? There are policies that might cover this. If not, and the flight went out, you aren't due a refund, you are only due a credit and they do not have to refund you at all.

You did the correct thing by asking the travel agency to try to extend the credit. What is happening with that request? They should be advocating this for you.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The volcano erupted on January 12, 2020, and Manila airport reopened January 13. You canceled travel for February. Assuming the flight you were scheduled to take in February actually flew as scheduled, you are left with the cancellation policies in place as of the day you canceled your tickets. If your tickets were not refundable it is unlikely that you will get a full refund.

Your travel agency needs to advocate for an extension of the travel credit for 12 more months. Some airlines are offering credits for 24 months due to the pandemic, but not all. There is no requirement by any US governmental agency for the credits to be extended due to the virus.

Lis

May 27, 2020
Hello Neil, thank you for your message. The card I used to purchase the tickets had stopped their travel insurance coverage a few months before (and I wasn't aware). I've been in touch with the travel agency multiple times to follow-up on my request for a travel credit extension. I last spoke to the travel agent yesterday and she said she will follow-up with EVA air again. So far, no news yet. What do you recommend as a next step?

Lis

May 27, 2020
The volcano erupted on January 12, 2020, and Manila airport reopened January 13. You canceled travel for February. Assuming the flight you were scheduled to take in February actually flew as scheduled, you are left with the cancellation policies in place as of the day you canceled your tickets. If your tickets were not refundable it is unlikely that you will get a full refund.

Your travel agency needs to advocate for an extension of the travel credit for 12 more months. Some airlines are offering credits for 24 months due to the pandemic, but not all. There is no requirement by any US governmental agency for the credits to be extended due to the virus.
Thanks for your message. I am following up with the travel agency.

Reactions: Neil Maley