EU 261 and British Airways

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 8, 2015
EU 261 and British Air.

I sent letters to British Air asking compensation for a cancelled flight from Heathrow to Philadelphia under EU261 and was denied because the flight was cancelled due to an "Industrial action". It seems some of the flight crew went on strike. British Air's take is this is an extraordinary circumstance and they are relieved from the EU261 obligations. My story was published on the Chis Elliott e-mail site on Oct. 24, 2017 under the title "Does a cabin crew strike relieve British Airways from it's EU261 obligation?"
I have files a request with Civil Aviation Authority of the United Kingdom.

Any additional ideas on how to proceed?

R

Realitoes

Until the ECJ directly rules that industrial action by airline staff is not covered under the "extraordinary circumstance", airlines are not going to pay the delay compensation. Unfortunately, there have been some indirect ruling that suggestion that the ECJ believes that these situations are covered by that exception - Finnair Oyj v Timy Lassooy

The best you can hope for from the CAA is a determination that they owe you compensation. They cannot however force the airline to pay the compensation. You can use the determination though in a court action against the airline.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What was the re
EU 261 and British Air.

I sent letters to British Air asking compensation for a cancelled flight from Heathrow to Philadelphia under EU261 and was denied because the flight was cancelled due to an "Industrial action". It seems some of the flight crew went on strike. British Air's take is this is an extraordinary circumstance and they are relieved from the EU261 obligations. My story was published on the Chis Elliott e-mail site on Oct. 24, 2017 under the title "Does a cabin crew strike relieve British Airways from it's EU261 obligation?"
I have files a request with Civil Aviation Authority of the United Kingdom.

Any additional ideas on how to proceed?
What was the result of your story appearing on Elliott's blog? Were the advocates/writers able to assist you? What was the outcome of your story?

Sep 8, 2015
I filed with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and they referred me to file with the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR). I have not received any response from them (Filed on 11/09)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I filed with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and they referred me to file with the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR). I have not received any response from them (Filed on 11/09)
It's way too early to expect a response. They can take several months because they have to go to the airline and get their version.'

You'll just have to be patient and wait until the have had time to investigate.

Sep 8, 2015
It's way too early to expect a response. They can take several months because they have to go to the airline and get their version.'

You'll just have to be patient and wait until the have had time to investigate.

Just received the following:

To:
Sent: 12/20/2017 5:52:45 AM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: Your CEDR Application No:###### - Case accepted by CEDR

John Munton - Director of Dispute Resolution Services
Dear Mr. ####,

We are contacting you regarding (case)

On 26-Nov-2017, CEDR received an application for adjudication with Lawrence Karp that has passed the initial case intake review. In accordance with the Rules, British Airways has 15 working days to:
  • Attempt to settle the dispute with the customer via this platform (Rule 4.2)
  • Object to adjudication on grounds of eligibility (Rule 4.3)
  • Submit your written Defence to the claim (Rule 4.4)
You can access your case by clicking on the above-mentioned link.

If you have any questions about this case please call the CEDR office on 0207 536 6099 or email us on [email protected].

Kind regards,

Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
70 Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 1EU, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)20 7536 6099
E: [email protected]

Registered in England as Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution Limited number 2422813 Registered Charity number 1060369
The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This information may be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may otherwise be protected. It must not be disclosed to any person without our authority. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are not authorised to, and must not, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it.
This is an automatically generated email, please do not reply.