Enterprise Rentals Claiming Damage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 15, 2020
Hello everyone,

I got a car rental last month 12/4-12/6 while my car was in the shop for repairs after an accident. I wouldn't have gotten the rental if I had had to pay, but since the insurance was covering it I figured why not. So now I'm lucky enough for them to be claiming I owe them $570!

So I picked up the rental and did the walk around with the rental agent and noticed nothing particularly out of the ordinary pointed out the various dings and scratches. Got in and was on my way. Rental went fine and when I came to return it the agent went out to look at the car without me and mentioned there was something wrong with the center console. I told her I hadn't noticed since I'd had the car for just over 48 hours there had been no reason for me to even use the center console. Didn't think much of it filled out the form with my statement and left. A couple days later I get a call from the Enterprise branch saying that everything looked good with the car, and my deposit was being released so I thought nothing more of it.

Fast forward to today and I receive an email claiming I broke the center console and now owe Enterprise $573.17 for repairs and lost use! The included some pictures of the car at a different location with the center console lid broken off at the hinges and sitting inside the console, which I would like to think I would have noticed had it been that way when I was in the car.

I didn't take any pictures of the car or anything before taking it or after dropping it off, but will now be videoing and making sure everything that can move moves in the future! Anyways, I came across this site when searching to see if there was any recourse, and wanted to make sure that old links I have found in other threads are still the best way to approach the issue and that nothing had changed.

Thank you in advance for reading this and any help you might offer!

Jan 15, 2020
This is the message I have drafted based on the SOP. Please let me know if it is too long or not detailed enough based on past results. I've replaced any personally identifiable information with dashes. Thanks again!

"
To: [email protected]

Cc: [email protected]

Subject: Regarding - Vehicle Damage Claim #--------

To whom it may concern,

I am writing in regards to a claim from the damage recovery unit for a vehicle rented 12/04/2019 thru 12/06/2019 for
damages that I am not responsible for.

• The vehicle was picked up from the Enterprise desk at ---------- around 9AM 12/04/2019. Performed the walk around inspection for the vehicle with the agent with regards to the vehicle exterior noting any damages. No questions were asked about the interior which appeared fine upon inspection.

• Everything was fine with the rental for the short time I had it, and brought it back to the same location around 4PM 12/06/2019. Agent inspected the vehicle without me and said there was something wrong with the center console. They did not have me look at the issue but submitted a statement that I had not noticed the issue since I had only had the car for a short time, and had no need to use the center console.

• Was called the next day by the Enterprise office saying everything was fine with the vehicle and my card authorization was being released.

• Now today 01/15/2020 I have received a notice that I am being charged for damages to the vehicle I did not
    cause. With photos of the damaged vehicle provided as proof in an entirely different location on an undisclosed day.

Please let me know how we may proceed to dismiss theses claims.

Regards,
---Insert Official Signature Here---"

Jan 15, 2020
It has been almost a week now since I sent the email. I have received no response of any kind so far.

Is this normal?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Personally, I like what you typed very much. If/when you escalate this to the executive level, I recommend two things:

1. Specify whom you have already contacted
2. Change "To whom it may concern" to the name of the person to whom you are reaching out.

Great job so far!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It has been almost a week now since I sent the email. I have received no response of any kind so far.

Is this normal?
Yes. Once it’s been a week, write to the first executive we show and tell him who you wrote to, that you never received a reply and you would appreciate him or her looking into this. Repeat weekly going up the chain if necessary.

Jan 15, 2020
Okay thanks to both of you.

Would it be better to send it as an original message copying the above, or to Fwd the originally sent message just simply noting that I have received no reply and am looking for further assistance?

Jan 15, 2020
Okay did that and finally got a reply email that they were looking into it last week.

Today I got a voicemail from the area manager asking me to call him back. Is it best to call or wait for something to come through by email or snail mail instead?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Great news it seems! They are going to drop the damage claim. He said I should be getting an email from the DRU about it and gave me his cell number, so if I don't see anything from them in the next week I figure I will follow up with him.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I won't be reporting back with bad news about this again!
That is how it worked for me.
Since I didn’t recognize the number it went to my VM where the Manager left me a message saying the claim was being dropped.
The conf letter arrived the next week.