Enterprise rental damage scam

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 18, 2019
I rented a car from Enterprise in Wheat Ridge, CO back in September. I returned the car in the same good shape that I picked it up in. They are claiming that the car was riddled with hail damage while I had it. We had no hail, and there was none on the car when I returned it. They are demanding payment to the tune of $2,078!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dec 18, 2019
Thank you for your quick response. This rental was provided for me because my car was damaged at the auto shop when it fell off the alignment rack. The shop's insurance company paid for this rental for me, but I paid a $50 deposit to get the car. I am a trusting soul, and have rented cars with no problems in the past, so sadly I did not take pictures at either end. I guarantee I will not be remiss with that again in the future! I did inform both the auto shop and their insurance company right after I dropped the rental car off. Both told me there was nothing they could do.

Reactions: calihankl
Jun 12, 2019
Thank you for your quick response. This rental was provided for me because my car was damaged at the auto shop when it fell off the alignment rack. The shop's insurance company paid for this rental for me, but I paid a $50 deposit to get the car. I am a trusting soul, and have rented cars with no problems in the past, so sadly I did not take pictures at either end. I guarantee I will not be remiss with that again in the future! I did inform both the auto shop and their insurance company right after I dropped the rental car off. Both told me there was nothing they could do.
You can research on Weather Underground to see if there was hail during your rental period:

https://www.wunderground.com/

Maybe you can confirm if there was hail in the area and give them this information.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
You can research on Weather Underground to see if there was hail during your rental period:

https://www.wunderground.com/

Maybe you can confirm if there was hail in the area and give them this information.
Depending on how long the car was in his possession and how many miles were logged during his use, what would be the parameters to define the ‘area?’

I am actually disputing with Enterprise right now concerning a similar circumstance. Their ’proof’ is suspect. I did make the mistake of dropping the car at the auto shop instead of returning it to the agency. The shop kept MY car for a whopping 26 days in Denver and my time was tight that day to get the car and get to the airport to pick up my sister.
I should have just waited until Monday.

It was picked up promptly but was driven an additional 211 miles before they took the photo of the odometer, which wasn’t date/time stamped.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Depending on how long the car was in his possession and how many miles were logged during his use, what would be the parameters to define the ‘area?’

I am actually disputing with Enterprise right now concerning a similar circumstance. Their ’proof’ is suspect. I did make the mistake of dropping the car at the auto shop instead of returning it to the agency. The shop kept MY car for a whopping 26 days in Denver and my time was tight that day to get the car and get to the airport to pick up my sister.

It was picked up promptly but was driven an additional 211 miles before they took the photo of the odometer, which wasn’t date/time stamped.
And that is exactly what the OP needs. Find the mileage that they claim the damage occurred at- I’m willing to bet that it is different and that’s the point to make.

Reactions: VoR61
Jun 12, 2019

The zip codes that you have driven in while it was in your possession. If it shows that there was no reported hail, it would be useful in your discussion with the rental company. If it came down to " You drove here and it had a hailstorm", they would need to prove it with gps details or other evidence.

Reactions: VoR61

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO

Just to report - five days after reporting the discrepancy of the reported mileages in my rental records I got a phone call and VM message from the manager of Enterprise Denver West saying he had ‘shut down the claim and will not be pursuing the $400.’

Said to call him back if I had questions! No sir, all is fine. Thanks.

Another success story.