Enterprise rent a car wrongful damage claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 8, 2016
Hi, on July 29th 2016 I returned an Enterprise rental car back to caliber collision center in Anaheim, CA where I have initially rented the car from due to a car accident I was involved in. My insurance provided car rental and it was arranged for me to rent it at the spot where I drop of my own car.
I receive a call from the collision center on July 29th that my car was ready and I went there to pick the car up.
Once I was there I was told to leave the rental car at their lot and drop of the keys to front desk because there was no Enterprise representative there at the moment. The front desk said that, it is the routine and everybody does so.
On Saturday July 30th, Danielle Cavish –branch manager at Enterprise called me and told me that there was a dent on the rocker panel on the passenger side of the car and since the car was under my possession I was going to be charged for the damage to the vehicle. She told me that the company would be in contact me and I was not told a dollar figure in regard to the damage.
On Sunday July 31st me and my boyfriend go to look at the car and Danielle insist that she has to file a damage report and that someone would be in contact with me once the repair was done, she provided me with no information or pictures taken at the scene.
The car was perfectly fine when I parked and left it in front entrance of the collision center where I was told to leave it.
Under the impression that it’s a one stop shop and Enterprise is working from that facility, I left the car there. Enterprise have people at the collision center acting as their legal agent informing me to drop of the key and not do a walk through and sign any documents due to the fact that there is no Enterprise representative available. I should not be held responsible for any damages once I have officially dropped of the keys. I also find it wrongfully for Enterprise to contact me after the fact that they moved the car from the location and not provide me with any evidence.
Enterprise never notified me before charging my card, and now I have charge on my card from enterprise, despite the fact that Enterprise showed me no repair invoice.
I have just been into an accident and paid a high price for it, I don’t want to be wrongfully accused and pay for something I didn’t do, this matter has really impacted negatively on me and my well being, and I refuse to give up without a fight. I want Enterprise to please reevaluate my case and understand that anyone could have done this to the car including the enterprise representative picking the car up from location. I left the car there in perfect condition and I am being wrongfully accused.

I’d like for this matter to be resolved and get my money back, or I will have to file a complaint to BBB, department of consumer affairs and California department of insurance.

I have no case number as Enterprise have not attempt to reach out to me, but rushed to charge my card.

(I saw a $400 charge on my credit card, but I cancelled the card, so I am not sure how much more if any they are trying to charge me).

best,
Mona

Feb 9, 2016
Mona,
Have you read these threads? They tell you how to deal with a wrongful damage claim

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/read-this-first-executive-contacts-for-car-rental-companies.219/

Start the process outlined in the threads. Request all documentation detailed in the thread and follow the advice to contact one set of people per week. be brief and polite in your correspondence, but insist on getting the documentation outlined.

Lastly, I might consider disputing that charge on your credit card based on the fact that it was an unauthorized purchase. You never agreed to allow Enterprise to charge your card outside of the rental charges, and they had no right to do so without your authorization.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Aug 8, 2016
you did take pictures of this no-damage car when you went back to look at it again - right?
Mona,
Have you read these threads? They tell you how to deal with a wrongful damage claim

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/read-this-first-executive-contacts-for-car-rental-companies.219/

Start the process outlined in the threads. Request all documentation detailed in the thread and follow the advice to contact one set of people per week. be brief and polite in your correspondence, but insist on getting the documentation outlined.

Lastly, I might consider disputing that charge on your credit card based on the fact that it was an unauthorized purchase. You never agreed to allow Enterprise to charge your card outside of the rental charges, and they had no right to do so without your authorization.

Thank you, I did follow the steps, I also wrote a copy to all the executives on the list and I did call my credit card company to dispute the charge since they charged it without my knowledge.
Enterprise has done this to me once before and charged me $600 for a minor scratch they claimed I caused, but since I had payed with my AMEX, they took care of the charge, but it is still not fair and they keep doing this to people!

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you, I did follow the steps, I also wrote a copy to all the executives on the list and I did call my credit card company to dispute the charge since they charged it without my knowledge.
Enterprise has done this to me once before and charged me $600 for a minor scratch they claimed I caused, but since I had payed with my AMEX, they took care of the charge, but it is still not fair and they keep doing this to people!
When you write a letter and send it to all the executives at once there is a fear that no one will pay attention. did you only send it to a single exec, or all of them?

Reactions: Neil Maley
Aug 8, 2016
When you write a letter and send it to all the executives at once there is a fear that no one will pay attention. did you only send it to a single exec, or all of them?
I sent it to the care team at: [email protected] and a separate email to all the executives but i bcc'd. However after reading your comment and advice, I actually went on enterprise website and filled out submitted "a question to our support team" under contact us - customer service & support, which I had not done earlier. It was the same email I copied and I had to fill out some more questions on the form and on top of that I added all the requested documents you provided me on the thread. After doing this yesterday I received a call a few ours from Josh the regional manager saying that my credit card will be reimbursed and that the claim is dropped! I am relieved about this and so happy I wrote them and reached out to this website. I will definitely be very careful next time and make sure I have lots of picture proof!

Thank you!!!
Mona

Reactions: JVillegirl541
Aug 8, 2016
Whenever you rent a car you MUST take pictures when you pick it up and drop it off.
Now that you've had this happen twice, please protect yourself if you have to rent again.
I know, I will be very careful next time and keep lots of proof! thank you

Aug 8, 2016
Mona,

I actually went on enterprise website yesterday and filled out "submit a question to our support team" under contact us - customer service & support:

https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/contact.html?icid=footer.customer.service-_-contact-_-ENUS.NULL

which I had not done earlier. It was the same email I copied and I had to fill out some more questions on the form and on top of that I added all the requested documents you provided me on the thread. After doing this yesterday I received a call a few ours from Josh the regional manager saying that my credit card will be reimbursed and that the claim is dropped! I am relieved about this and so happy I wrote them and reached out to this website. I will definitely be very careful next time and make sure I have lots of picture proof!

Thank you!!!
Mona

Reactions: Patina and sas80
Feb 9, 2016
I actually went on enterprise website yesterday and filled out "submit a question to our support team" under contact us - customer service & support:

https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/contact.html?icid=footer.customer.service-_-contact-_-ENUS.NULL

which I had not done earlier. It was the same email I copied and I had to fill out some more questions on the form and on top of that I added all the requested documents you provided me on the thread. After doing this yesterday I received a call a few ours from Josh the regional manager saying that my credit card will be reimbursed and that the claim is dropped! I am relieved about this and so happy I wrote them and reached out to this website. I will definitely be very careful next time and make sure I have lots of picture proof!

Thank you!!!
Mona
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

May 17, 2016
Whenever you rent a car you MUST take pictures when you pick it up and drop it off.
Now that you've had this happen twice, please protect yourself if you have to rent again.
And don't use that rental company. Although this kind of behavior seems to be the norm for most of them. Self-defense--pictures of every inch, inside and out, top and bottom. Don't feel pressured to hurry up and take the car.

Reactions: Neil Maley