Enterprise Damage Claim Dispute - Help?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Based on the situation you’ve described, it certainly seems that in this case, you’re likely not liable for any damage that occurred from water. That said, imagine a situation where despite your careful driving and clean record, another uninsured driver hits you. The car was in your possession at the time. The other driver has no insurance to pay for the damage. The rental agency isn’t going to eat that loss, so you’re responsible for the cost of the damage, up to and including the replacement cost of the vehicle, just like you would be for your own car in such a case. While you’re welcome to take whatever financial risks you deem appropriate, I’d certainly look into different auto insurance or a credit card that covers rented vehicles, because I don’t want be liable. Food for thought.
Perfectly stated. Buy the rental company insurance. You might want to read this to understand your liability if something happens when you rent:

https://www.elliott.org/blog/rental...email&utm_campaign=Feed:+elliottorg+(Elliott)

Aug 5, 2019
I'm in total agreement with you, Nathan. Given the number of cars I've rented, it's amazing that I've made it this far going without.

Aug 5, 2019
Thank you for the article, Neil! It sounds like such a racket to me... The credit card underwriters don't want to pay, and try to complicate the process so they don't have to do so. The rental agency performs their own investigations and, of course, finds the customer at fault. So the solution is to pay the rental company for "protection."

"Nice rental you've got there... be a shame if you were to be found at fault, wouldn't it?"

Rather than requesting documentation, is this a good way to end when sending to corporate?

It is my belief, for these reasons and others, that the damage to the car was sustained prior to my obtaining the vehicle, likely in the previous storms, and that the moisture on the floor was from the AC drain.

I hereby request that this damage claim be withdrawn.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should continue to insist the damage was there when you picked up the car and it would have been impossible for that much damage to occur in a day you had it unless you drove it into a river. Insist they go back to their records and find out who had they car when the flooding occurred in Texas.

Aug 5, 2019
Thank you, one and all - the claim was withdrawn!

It appears that there was some miscommunication, and the dealership that was supposed to repair the AC under warranty returned it with "flood damage" because of the water. This is what triggered the claim, and the subsequent salvage estimate (in compliance with Texas state law). The car has been sent back to the dealership, and they will be covering all repairs. I am not at fault, and will not be held responsible.

I appreciate your assistance so very, very much. I would say that I look forward to coming back here again, but I hope I won't have to do so. At least not under similar circumstances.

Happy trails!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Another case where I think the rental company was trying to go after 'low hanging' fruit. I am really glad this worked in your favor. Now.......make sure to purchase the rental company's insurance EVERY TIME so you are covered for any unforeseen circumstance. You will be glad you spent the extra money if someone ran into your rental and left without a note or an uninsured driver crashed into you.

Reactions: Neil Maley