Enterprise Damage Claim - Am I Out of Luck?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 4, 2020
I was involved in an accident and my insurance provided me a rental through Enterprise in CA. I declined additional insurance because my insurance's rental coverage doesn't cover the entire cost of the rental and Enterprise's damage waiver coverage is a bit costly. It took my insurance almost a month to get me a check for me to purchase another vehicle which would have resulted in me having to pay almost $800+ dollars in out of pocket expenses for renting the vehicle between their fees, taxes, etc.

I did not follow any of the great advice given here a put video recording/extensively recording the rental because I only found this forum after I brought my car back and Enterprise claims I damaged it.

I rented the vehicle on a day it was raining heavily. They had no other vehicles but a VW beetle and a large truck. I really did not want to drive a truck so I took the Beetle. I inspected for damage as much as I could trying to wipe off rain and did not see the damage they are claiming I created. The woman who did the walk around with me, when I pointed out things like black marks, scoffs, said they didn't matter and Enterprise would only be concerned eith major damage (what a huge mistake I made after reading these forums). I thought my biggest problem was going to be that the car smelled like it had been rented by a chain smoker and I asked her to bite that I did not create the awful smoke smell in the car.

Fast forward to me returning the vehicle. I gave the keys and two attendants went to inspect the vehicle. They specifically told me I was not allowed to go outside while they were inspecting the vehicle. I thought this was really odd, but I wasn't really concerned. They came back asking me if I knew anything about a dent in the door. I freaked out because I actually did not. I did not see it the entire time I had the rental until it was pointed out to me because it was on the passenger side door and I never had a passenger. You can't see it without standing at a particular angle. It appears that someone may have hit something when opening the door and bent the lip of the door slightly. It doesn't really appear that this damage could have happened any other way than the door being opened up (they are some heavy doors). I didn't have any passages while renting the vehicle.

After a long drawn out argument with the customer service people at Enterprise, a call to my insurance that was very unhelpful, I signed their "change in condition form" and left. I called my dad and he told me I needed to go back and take photographs which I did and am thankful I did (it was still parked upfront of the rental place in a stall which is in a shopping center).

I felt so unnerved by the whole incident that I started researching online and found this forum. I haven't received an estimate for these damages and am only in the initial stages of receiving communication from their damage recovery unit.

My question is, is it even worth me fighting given the facts I've outlined here? I don't want to make another claim against my insurance being as I already have a big claim and a totaled vehicle (the whole reason I rented the car in the first place). I'm afraid my insurance will cancel me. I rarely ever rent cars so I did not have a ton of experiencing protecting myself, but I will always follow the guidelines I've read here from now on.

Thank you in advance for any advice and for all the great advice I've already found.

Jun 12, 2019
I was involved in an accident and my insurance provided me a rental through Enterprise in CA. I declined additional insurance because my insurance's rental coverage doesn't cover the entire cost of the rental and Enterprise's damage waiver coverage is a bit costly. It took my insurance almost a month to get me a check for me to purchase another vehicle which would have resulted in me having to pay almost $800+ dollars in out of pocket expenses for renting the vehicle between their fees, taxes, etc.

I did not follow any of the great advice given here a put video recording/extensively recording the rental because I only found this forum after I brought my car back and Enterprise claims I damaged it.

I rented the vehicle on a day it was raining heavily. They had no other vehicles but a VW beetle and a large truck. I really did not want to drive a truck so I took the Beetle. I inspected for damage as much as I could trying to wipe off rain and did not see the damage they are claiming I created. The woman who did the walk around with me, when I pointed out things like black marks, scoffs, said they didn't matter and Enterprise would only be concerned eith major damage (what a huge mistake I made after reading these forums). I thought my biggest problem was going to be that the car smelled like it had been rented by a chain smoker and I asked her to bite that I did not create the awful smoke smell in the car.

Fast forward to me returning the vehicle. I gave the keys and two attendants went to inspect the vehicle. They specifically told me I was not allowed to go outside while they were inspecting the vehicle. I thought this was really odd, but I wasn't really concerned. They came back asking me if I knew anything about a dent in the door. I freaked out because I actually did not. I did not see it the entire time I had the rental until it was pointed out to me because it was on the passenger side door and I never had a passenger. You can't see it without standing at a particular angle. It appears that someone may have hit something when opening the door and bent the lip of the door slightly. It doesn't really appear that this damage could have happened any other way than the door being opened up (they are some heavy doors). I didn't have any passages while renting the vehicle.

After a long drawn out argument with the customer service people at Enterprise, a call to my insurance that was very unhelpful, I signed their "change in condition form" and left. I called my dad and he told me I needed to go back and take photographs which I did and am thankful I did (it was still parked upfront of the rental place in a stall which is in a shopping center).

I felt so unnerved by the whole incident that I started researching online and found this forum. I haven't received an estimate for these damages and am only in the initial stages of receiving communication from their damage recovery unit.

My question is, is it even worth me fighting given the facts I've outlined here? I don't want to make another claim against my insurance being as I already have a big claim and a totaled vehicle (the whole reason I rented the car in the first place). I'm afraid my insurance will cancel me. I rarely ever rent cars so I did not have a ton of experiencing protecting myself, but I will always follow the guidelines I've read here from now on.

Thank you in advance for any advice and for all the great advice I've already found.
I doubt your insurance will cancel you for having too many claims. They will just charge you more. If the damages were not caused while it was in your posession, definitely fight it. They will probably file a claim with your insurance and I would give them the same explanation to your insurance company. Make sure your statement to them is honest and complete so they may take your side. If ERAC does attempt to collect, your insurance company will help you.

The advice on handling these kinds of claims is excellent and you can do what is suggested here first. You can start a claim with your insurance company at the same time as you are dealing with the Executives. You would control the narritive in this case because Enterprise would file the claim as" renter rented vehicle and it back with damages" which could potentially be an at fault collision claim.

Reactions: VoR61