endless review of refund request without response

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Call me confused but what is there to dispute in a credit card? You said they refunded you twice. And you also said you never saw a charge for the AA flights. Did I miss something?

"4) I called Expedia to remove the earlier charge for the cancelled reservation – they removed BOTH charges – I assumed the correct charge would then appear in time on my credit card bill. Communicating with their agents was frustrating and time-consuming….long holds, providing the same information over and over again."

Reactions: Carrie Livingston
Aug 26, 2016
I didn't remove the charge, Expedia did. I only asked them to remove the charge for the flight with the wrong return date. The charge on the credit card was for the AA flight that I HAD to book with the airline when I learned that the revised reservation through Expedia had been cancelled without any communication to me. I hope this makes things a bit more clear -- I SHOULD have been charged for that second flight and had no reason to believe anything else. The fault still seems to lie with Expedia - the revised reservation, this time with the correct return date, was intact and valid up until the time I checked two days prior to the scheduled departure date. I'm happy to pay the amount I should have been charged by Expedia, and am asking them to refund me the difference between that amount and what I had to pay for the ticket that actually brought my wife to London as originally planned. Others on this list have suggested that disputing this with the credit card company is a good idea, and now with copies of both the cancelled and revised reservations and a voucher for travelers insurance, I may be in a better position to find resolution if I do not hear from Expedia by early next week.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I didn't remove the charge, Expedia did. I only asked them to remove the charge for the flight with the wrong return date. The charge on the credit card was for the AA flight that I HAD to book with the airline when I learned that the revised reservation through Expedia had been cancelled without any communication to me. I hope this makes things a bit more clear -- I SHOULD have been charged for that second flight and had no reason to believe anything else. The fault still seems to lie with Expedia - the revised reservation, this time with the correct return date, was intact and valid up until the time I checked two days prior to the scheduled departure date. I'm happy to pay the amount I should have been charged by Expedia, and am asking them to refund me the difference between that amount and what I had to pay for the ticket that actually brought my wife to London as originally planned. Others on this list have suggested that disputing this with the credit card company is a good idea, and now with copies of both the cancelled and revised reservations and a voucher for travelers insurance, I may be in a better position to find resolution if I do not hear from Expedia by early next week.
I agree with you about Expedia - they seemed to have made a mistake when you told them to refund the wrong ticket and they refunded both. But you can't do a charge back for the AA ticket - it is not their fault that you had to book their flight and they delivered the service you bought.

Keep going on the moving up to the Executives.

Reactions: technomage1
Aug 26, 2016
Thanks for the advice -- that's the plan, and the process so far has helped me to clarify the timeline and also put together what I think is a solid paper trail to keep going.

Aug 26, 2016
After moving up the ladder of email contacts provided by Elliott.com, I finally began a dialog, by phone and email, with a 'tier 3' supervisor at Expedia. All of my emails bounced back or were not received, so we communicated by telephone over a week. I faxed 13 pages of documentation for all I'd experienced with Expedia. This evening she left a voicemail with a proposed resolution. It was a refund of $420 + $77 in phone charges I incurred waiting while I was in London trying to get any sort of response, and 200 'points' with Expedia. I left a voicemail for her saying I wasn't satisfied with the proposed resolution, that Expedia wasn't taking responsibility for the cancellation of my flight through their error, and that I'd no intention of using Expedia for any sort of travel in the future based upon their performance and my experience. So, the question I have is how do you proposed I proceed? I was thinking about disputing the charge on my credit card for the flight I booked with AA, providing them with the documentation and seeing what happens. The contact at Expedia works Sunday-Thursday so I won't hear from her until this Sunday or Monday. I don't think the resolution they've proposed is fair. The difference in cost between the ticket I booked with Expedia and the one I booked with AA is close to $1,900. I couldn't risk attempting to communicate with Expedia only two days before my wife's flight - it really wasn't a reasonable option given that the trip was only two days away and I needed to put her on the original flight, which thankfully I was able to do. Again, the story is contained in the string of emails in this thread.
Your advice, or advocacy, would be appreciated

Jan 5, 2015
After moving up the ladder of email contacts provided by Elliott.com, I finally began a dialog, by phone and email, with a 'tier 3' supervisor at Expedia. All of my emails bounced back or were not received, so we communicated by telephone over a week. I faxed 13 pages of documentation for all I'd experienced with Expedia. This evening she left a voicemail with a proposed resolution. It was a refund of $420 + $77 in phone charges I incurred waiting while I was in London trying to get any sort of response, and 200 'points' with Expedia. I left a voicemail for her saying I wasn't satisfied with the proposed resolution, that Expedia wasn't taking responsibility for the cancellation of my flight through their error, and that I'd no intention of using Expedia for any sort of travel in the future based upon their performance and my experience. So, the question I have is how do you proposed I proceed? I was thinking about disputing the charge on my credit card for the flight I booked with AA, providing them with the documentation and seeing what happens. The contact at Expedia works Sunday-Thursday so I won't hear from her until this Sunday or Monday. I don't think the resolution they've proposed is fair. The difference in cost between the ticket I booked with Expedia and the one I booked with AA is close to $1,900. I couldn't risk attempting to communicate with Expedia only two days before my wife's flight - it really wasn't a reasonable option given that the trip was only two days away and I needed to put her on the original flight, which thankfully I was able to do. Again, the story is contained in the string of emails in this thread.
Your advice, or advocacy, would be appreciated
I don't know how disputing the AA charge is going to help you. Your beef is with Expedia, not AA. AA is an innocent party here.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Tech. And by telling Exoedia you refuse to do business with them again, what is their incentive to do anything else to help you? That is one of the "don't's" we advise people when seeking a resolution.

AA had absolutely nothing to do with this dispute. They delivered the service you charged, I don't think you would even win a dispute since they did nothing wrong.

What was the total cost of the ticket that Expedia canceled in error? What Expedia owes you now is the difference from the cost of your original ticket (since they already refunded both) and the cost of your last minute ticket. Is that what they offered? If it was you should accept it. You aren't entitled to more than that.

May 24, 2016
It is a very frustrating story and I am sorry you are going through it.

When you emailed to Expedia and emails bounced back... this could be because of attachments. On the other hand, maybe their contacts have changed so we shall have to find out.

But sadly, even today in 2016, many companies, large and small, have inferior systems and sometimes big attachments or ones of certain types cannot go through.

Can you try sending one with no attachments that repeats something like the gist of your case and that you are trying to also attach things but those apparently will not go through? Ask them for an alternative way to send them--although you mentioned you faxed, maybe they will also give you another email address. Maybe send the email saying you faxed and to be sure to even check the floor where the fax machine is. What was that movie where the fax landed on the floor and rolled itself up under the table so the person receiving never saw it in time?

Although this may be a long shot, I have had it work for me at least once:

If you get a sympathetic and "human-minded" agent on the phone who has access to the internet, then have previously made up a new throw away Yahoo account or something and send all your info and attached docs to an email in there. Then give that agent the user name and password so they can now access it and see everything on their end. Explain that this account is just for that purpose and no, they are not violating your privacy by using it. It usually does not work because agents will say something like, "I cannot access that type of email," or, "I cannot go into someone Else's account" etc, all of which prove to me that companies do not empower their employees to do much to really help people, and/or they really just do not want to help people. When I present this method to agents, sadly most will decline, but it is worth a shot. Still, when it fails I get miffed, because I equate the throwaway email tactic being turned down to be like you are handing the next runner in a relay race the baton but they refuse to take it and instead just throw it to the ground as if to say FU.

Reactions: Neil Maley
May 24, 2016
Also, perhaps you did so in error, but your post above says elliott.com not .org. It should be .org

May 24, 2016
Just to see what would happen, I emailed the following message below and have not yet received a bounce back. It is possible someone is blocking your email, or there are other techy issues with your computer, IP, or even location. Using a VPN and sending from a US location may help, or getting a friend to do so for you. Or, the attachment thing... Anyway, if they respond with anything useful I will post here:

TO: [email protected]
SUBJECT: Resolution Request

Hello,

I am trying to send you documentation for a problem flight and am wondering if this is the right place to attach everything and what formats you accept for attachments (jpg, doc, pdf, etc)?

Can you assist by letting me know if this email address is correct or if there is perhaps another one I should be sending to?

Thank you very much,

Jeff F. and co.

May 24, 2016
It is possible that is the reason, or maybe they have blacklisted the customer's email--so having another handy to send from may also help see what is true.

In either case, yes it is true that Expedia works fine when it works... but like so many companies these days, when something goes wrong, it is badddd.

To that end, I am of the mindset that I would rather do business with a company that admits to having made mistakes but can fix them, than with a company that claims to never make mistakes or have any complaints against it. Those I do not trust so much.

Think about it: Parachute companies have no customer service complaints.
lol

I would reword to say something like, "How can I be expected to ever want to do business with you again unless you can help me solve this problem? If you can, then there is hope so it is up to you now..."

Aug 26, 2016
I was able to fax the documentation to them, so that's no longer a problem, although the 'bouncing back' was yet another frustration with Expedia's customer service. Had Expedia offered to refund me the difference between the original ticket I booked with them and the cost of the ticket I needed to purchase to make the trip happen, I would have accepted that offer without question. But they offered less than 1/3 of the difference, part of which was 'points' rather than dollars. When I communicate with them again I'll leave the door open to doing business with them again, though it would be difficult given their track record.
Again, thanks for the advice. I've been obeying the three "P"s all along: patience, persistence, politeness, and will continue to do so, with the hope of a better offer of resolution where Expedia's takes a little more responsibility for the situation that THEY created.

Aug 26, 2016
SUCCESS!!!!! Believe it or not, Expedia reconsidered by plea after I communicated again with the tier 3 supervisor with whom I'd been dealing. They'd claimed they would reimburse me for the difference between the ticket I purchased and the price would have paid if I'd called them rather than booked directly with AA. I called a travel agent I'd used in the past and asked her if she could find out what the lowest fair would have been for a flight on August 18th booked on August 16th. The figure she came up with showed that Expedia had definitely low-balled the difference. I also told them in another FAX that the price didn't necessarily indicate availability. Tonight, while I was waiting to go to the Phillies game, Expedia called and said that they were reimbursing the entire difference between what I paid for the AA ticket and what I should have paid Expedia had they not made a mistake, They also are reimbursing $77 worth of international phone calls that I had to endure, representing more than 6 hours of wait time with their customer service department.
It was an ordeal, but it's over. I'm grateful for the encouragement and advice I received on this site. Especially important were the 3 Ps - Persistence, Politeness, Perseverance. I needed all three, but throughout I was treated courteously by the supervisor who finally responded after I worked my way up through the food chain of executives, again supplied by Elliott.org. I began this process more than a month ago, and it has not been easy. But in the end it's worked out. Thanks.

Reactions: Nancy