endless review of refund request without response

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 26, 2016
I've been having a nightmare of a time trying to get a response from Expedia - the details are below, but the gist of the story is that I booked a flight for my wife through Expedia and two days before she was e scheduled to join me in London the reservation was cancelled - frantic and furious I booked the same flight for her through the carrier and have asked Expedia to refund the difference between the flight I booked through Expedia and what I had to pay to the airline. I received a note from an Expedia supervisor saying that my request was being reviewed, this after more than 3 1/2 hours of 'holds' on the telephone. I'm hoping to get satisfaction, but Expedia's idea of customer service seems to be an endless runaround. Thanks for any help ...

1) I made a reservation for my wife with Expedia for a flight from Philadelphia to London in April 2016 for a planned rendez-vous in late August. The return flight was to match my own return from London on August 27 (we were spending a week there together but I’m in London for the entire month of August on business, having booked the flight through my employer)

2) Expedia got the return date WRONG; I called; they cancelled the reservation and booked the correct return

3) Expedia then charged me TWICE on my credit card

4) I called Expedia to remove the earlier charge for the cancelled reservation – they removed BOTH charges – I assumed the correct charge would then appear in time on my credit card bill. Communicating with their agents was frustrating and time-consuming….long holds, providing the same information over and over again.

5) The new reservation (American Airlines is the carrier) was fine – I checked it repeatedly to make sure it was intact and it was

6) No charge appeared on my credit card but again, I assumed it would appear because the reservation was intact through AA – I had a code to check and the reservation existed and everything was valid every time I checked through the month of July

7) Two days before my wife was to arrive (August 16) I checked the airline code and the reservation was cancelled

8) Needless to say, I was frantic – I called AA from London – they indicated the reservation was indeed cancelled.

9) With an AA agent on the line I simply booked the flights I needed so that my wife could join me – this is a trip we’d planned together for over 8 months. The new trip cost over $3,000 rather than the $1,100 for the trip I’d booked with Expedia. I was worried that if I didn’t book immediately there was a good chance the flight would be booked and our plans would be ruined. I couldn’t take that chance

10) On the evening of August 16 I began to communicate via telephone with Expedia customer service– one agent and supervisor after another assured me that would refund me the difference between the price I HAD to pay for the new ticket and the price I’d agreed to pay Expedia

11) I had to give the same information over and over again. I was put on hold for more than 3 ½ hours. I received an email from a “tier 3” supervisor telling me the matter was moving forward

12) As requested in the email I received, I forwarded the credit card charge to verify what I’d paid AA

13) A week later there was no response.

14) I called again on August 24th, again had to provide the same information, was put on hold for another hour. I had a call back from another supervisor who again put me on hold. When he called back, finally, I answered but there was no voice on the other end of the line. Everyone with whom I spoke had to ask another supervisor – it was endless.

15) My phone here in the UK costs 20 cents per minute – I can’t begin to think what my monthly bill is going to be

16) The errors both in reservations and in billing have been little short of a nightmare. I’m at my wits end.

17) Let me say that while I might have called Expedia to try to correct this problem once I learned that the reservation was cancelled, the difficulty of communicating with them is so daunting and had been so frustrating and fraught with errors at every turn that I dealt directly with AA at the time in order to insure that at least I could salvage of vacation week together here in London.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I've been having a nightmare of a time trying to get a response from Expedia - the details are below, but the gist of the story is that I booked a flight for my wife through Expedia and two days before she was e scheduled to join me in London the reservation was cancelled - frantic and furious I booked the same flight for her through the carrier and have asked Expedia to refund the difference between the flight I booked through Expedia and what I had to pay to the airline. I received a note from an Expedia supervisor saying that my request was being reviewed, this after more than 3 1/2 hours of 'holds' on the telephone. I'm hoping to get satisfaction, but Expedia's idea of customer service seems to be an endless runaround. Thanks for any help ...

1) I made a reservation for my wife with Expedia for a flight from Philadelphia to London in April 2016 for a planned rendez-vous in late August. The return flight was to match my own return from London on August 27 (we were spending a week there together but I’m in London for the entire month of August on business, having booked the flight through my employer)

2) Expedia got the return date WRONG; I called; they cancelled the reservation and booked the correct return

3) Expedia then charged me TWICE on my credit card

4) I called Expedia to remove the earlier charge for the cancelled reservation – they removed BOTH charges – I assumed the correct charge would then appear in time on my credit card bill. Communicating with their agents was frustrating and time-consuming….long holds, providing the same information over and over again.

5) The new reservation (American Airlines is the carrier) was fine – I checked it repeatedly to make sure it was intact and it was

6) No charge appeared on my credit card but again, I assumed it would appear because the reservation was intact through AA – I had a code to check and the reservation existed and everything was valid every time I checked through the month of July

7) Two days before my wife was to arrive (August 16) I checked the airline code and the reservation was cancelled

8) Needless to say, I was frantic – I called AA from London – they indicated the reservation was indeed cancelled.

9) With an AA agent on the line I simply booked the flights I needed so that my wife could join me – this is a trip we’d planned together for over 8 months. The new trip cost over $3,000 rather than the $1,100 for the trip I’d booked with Expedia. I was worried that if I didn’t book immediately there was a good chance the flight would be booked and our plans would be ruined. I couldn’t take that chance

10) On the evening of August 16 I began to communicate via telephone with Expedia customer service– one agent and supervisor after another assured me that would refund me the difference between the price I HAD to pay for the new ticket and the price I’d agreed to pay Expedia

11) I had to give the same information over and over again. I was put on hold for more than 3 ½ hours. I received an email from a “tier 3” supervisor telling me the matter was moving forward

12) As requested in the email I received, I forwarded the credit card charge to verify what I’d paid AA

13) A week later there was no response.

14) I called again on August 24th, again had to provide the same information, was put on hold for another hour. I had a call back from another supervisor who again put me on hold. When he called back, finally, I answered but there was no voice on the other end of the line. Everyone with whom I spoke had to ask another supervisor – it was endless.

15) My phone here in the UK costs 20 cents per minute – I can’t begin to think what my monthly bill is going to be

16) The errors both in reservations and in billing have been little short of a nightmare. I’m at my wits end.

17) Let me say that while I might have called Expedia to try to correct this problem once I learned that the reservation was cancelled, the difficulty of communicating with them is so daunting and had been so frustrating and fraught with errors at every turn that I dealt directly with AA at the time in order to insure that at least I could salvage of vacation week together here in London.

Our suggestions are usually that contacts be made in writing instead of by phone ... this will ensure a paper trail which may assist in the future.

To ensure the right person sees your request, please follow the steps below:

Our Expedia Company Contacts are here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/

Start with the Info email address. Make your message concise and polite, leaving out any emotion. Remember that the person who'll read your message receives hundreds per day and skims them .... it's important that yours is easily readable.
Give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or you don't like what they have to say, escalate your appeal to the executives you'll find listed on the Company Contacts page above.

Send short, polite emails one at a time, with a week between each, to the executives ... do not write to all of them at one time.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, let us know and we may be able to assist you in escalating the issue.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry you have had this awful experience with Expedia. But it is par for the course, they really don't have much of a customer service department. They sell tickets and, as long as everything goes smoothly, it's all fine. Let one tiny little problem crop up and it's a disaster because there's nobody to help you. I'm glad you found out the res had been cancelled before your wife had to hear it from the checkin agent the day of her flight.

As cp556 says above, hang up the phone and take care of this in writing. It may take months to resolve. You need to be polite, patient and persistent. Mostly persistent; eventually they will get around to your problem.

We always advise booking directly with the airline or hotel; if there's an issue at least you have a fighting chance of getting it straightened out. You should use this time to enjoy England with your wife and take up this problem when you get home. Of course, you want to be sure to check her return res often.

Reactions: joycexyz
Aug 26, 2016
Thanks so much for your thoughts and advice. We did have a great time in London as always, and hopefully in time the matter with Expedia will be resolved - certainly we've learned not to use their services again - that's a given! -- but i've begun the paper trail everyone has suggested and am pursuing the matter cordially and patiently. Yes, it could have been worse, had I not checked the reservation when I did - and at least we had the week together we'd planned.

Aug 26, 2016
I booked online but when I received the confirmation the date was wrong - that began the phone calls to correct it and led to the problems outlined in my first message - thanks

Aug 26, 2016
Neil -
You are right - I booked over the phone -- when I received the confirmation the date was wrong - I called back to correct it. That's when the trouble started.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
At this point you have to wait to hear from Expedia. You wrote to customer service, you have to give themselves week to reply. If you don't get an answer in a week, write to the first executive. Give him/her a week to respond. Repeat weekly if you have to until you get all the way up the chain.

Let us know what they say.

Reactions: travelplus
Jun 29, 2016
Silicon Valley California
Neil said it well. To add It would help if you have the Ticket number as part of the Expedia itinerary to prove that you have a legal and binding reservation. You could try dealing with Expedia to a certain point and then you may need to resort to your credit card to work on the refund.

When you book through Expedia a third party there can be issues with the space and it may not be a live transaction hence why there was a problem in your situation. Expedia purchases fare buckets from the airline and after each seat is sold one less seat from inventory should be removed.

As for the wrong date it helps to look at the itinerary before you hit the "Submit" on the final confirmation page and again after getting the itinerary in your inbox. If you had booked directly with the airline you would have had 24 hours to make any changed.

Please allow me if you will to share my story with Delta. I had booked a ticket as part of a tour where they could not sell me a ticket from my home city. I had booked the wrong date on Delta and called the tour company to confirm. This was under 24 hours from the time I booked and I was able to change to the right date without any additional costs as the fare was the same and I had consulted with the tour company. If it had been later than 24 hours I would have had to pay $200 plus any fare difference. Because I booked with Delta the process was easy.

Also there can be schedule changes or cancellations and in a perfect world Expedia would inform the customer but it still wise to keep checking the airline's website via the confirmation code Expedia provided to you which is why its best to book directly with the airline even if the cost is higher as all changes must go through Expedia.

Furthermore the airline has priority over the third party agencies for rebooking so you may be put on a different carrier or itinerary due to no space available. This can and does happen on a rare basis.

From what is sounds like a chargeback from Expedia is due for the extra costs.

Please let us know OP the outcome and continue to pursue this.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2016
Actually I do have a ticket number for the original reservation that Expedia got wrong. But when I began my calling, they were interested only in an itinerary number which I did not find on the email confirmation. So, I have it and if asked would supply it as the case (hopefully) moves forward. Will wait for some response on the status of the 'review' until Monday and then move up the food chain. Thanks again for the information.

Jun 29, 2016
Silicon Valley California
Actually I do have a ticket number for the original reservation that Expedia got wrong. But when I began my calling, they were interested only in an itinerary number which I did not find on the email confirmation. So, I have it and if asked would supply it as the case (hopefully) moves forward. Will wait for some response on the status of the 'review' until Monday and then move up the food chain. Thanks again for the information.
Your most welcome. AA is interested in the ticket# because this is the legal and binding contract. With just a confirmation # you do not have a legal contract but with a ticket number the airline must abide by the original contract. Please try and contact AA Ticketing and let them work with Expedia.

On the Contact Us on AA.Com select Contact Us(it helps to have an AAdvantage Frequent Flier account and online account) and fill out the online form with the TIcket Number and explain the difficulties you are having with Expedia and see if they will transfer the ownership from Expedia to AA.

Once you fly the outbound portion in most cases the airline owns the ticket which means they can make any changes. If you have flown one portion it can't hurt to call the airline directly. I had booked with an online travel agent and had to change my return date so I called Lufthasa directly and they were able to change it for me and all I paid was the $200 change fee.

Furthermore you can call your credit card company and let them know about the trip interruption as part of the Travel Insurance or if you purchased such insurance to exercise it and get the refund owed to you with all evidence

If by Monday you have not heard back from Expedia do a Dispute with your Credit Card and have all proof of communication. This is fraud and quite possibly extortion because they forced you to purchase a new ticket $1,100 vs $3,000 is a big difference to be out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The itinerary number is your confirmation number.

Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
At this point, after mutliple filings with no significant response, my normal recommendation is to dispute the amount of the charge you believe is incorrect, provide the credit card issuers dates and times of submission of the information and ask that the charge be reversed because the merchant has not responded to commercial reasonable efforts at resolution.

That should get the attention of someone at Expedia here in the USA who is trying to get Expedia paid - so they;ll have some motivation to work with you. . . .

Best defense is a good offense.

Reactions: jsn55
Aug 26, 2016
I filed an inquiry with AA as suggested, though I was only permitted 200 characters so could only ask them to contact me for additional information. I have found some additional documentation: the travel insurance policy my wife purchased for the London trip with Allianz Global, as well as the revised reservation with ticket no. So I have all of that information now to proceed. I wrote to Expedia on Sunday, so it's not yet a week. I'm already working on two fronts, and if I dispute the credit card charge that's a third, and contacting the travel Insurance company would be yet another route to go. so there's a lot to keep track of. Everyone's continued interest and suggestions are much appreciated.