Embassy suites Hotel lies about smoking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Before writing your letter it is important to confront the fact that you were using aromatherapy in your room. By using this, your own sense of smell becomes desensitized to the level of odor imparted to the room, which is also taken up by the bedding, upholstered furniture, and the cloth drapes in the room. You will not notice the level of aroma but others, especially the housekeeping service, will notice it.

When housekeeping walked into the room after your departure they most likely immediately noticed the aroma and called their supervisor, knowing that the room would have to undergo additional deep cleaning before it could be rented to another customer. This is the fundamental issue; you left the room in a state where it could not be rented as you left it. That is why you were charged.

Also, be aware that many hotels (and rental car agencies) routinely charge $250-300 for this type of cleaning.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is quite a simple issue. When you checked out of the room, it had a significant odor. The hotel spent extra time removing the odor from the room. The room may not have been rented again for a day, or several days, just to be sure there was no odor left. Hotels don't want odors of any kind in their rooms for this reason. Guests object to odors. The fact that they did not enumerate every single item that could cause an odor is not an excuse to call them liars. The room smelled, they deep cleaned, they charged you for it. It's common sense; don't cause any odors in a hotel room. Compose a concise, polite letter apologizing for leaving an odor in the room and ask them to refund the charge on your credit card. Post the letter here and we will help you make it the best letter.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
This is quite a simple issue. When you checked out of the room, it had a significant odor. The hotel spent extra time removing the odor from the room. The room may not have been rented again for a day, or several days, just to be sure there was no odor left. Hotels don't want odors of any kind in their rooms for this reason. Guests object to odors. The fact that they did not enumerate every single item that could cause an odor is not an excuse to call them liars. The room smelled, they deep cleaned, they charged you for it. It's common sense; don't cause any odors in a hotel room. Compose a concise, polite letter apologizing for leaving an odor in the room and ask them to refund the charge on your credit card. Post the letter here and we will help you make it the best letter.
Except I remember a lot of chatter about Marriott Hotel scent branding and how it was making people sick, so the ‘no scents’ rule is not necessarily a thing.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Except I remember a lot of chatter about Marriott Hotel scent branding and how it was making people sick, so the ‘no scents’ rule is not necessarily a thing.
1. The "scent branding" is in the lobby, not the guest rooms. You do not sleep in the lobby.
2. You, as a patron, do not get to choose the scent chosen by an establishment.
3. If you do not like the Marriott "scent branding" you can choose Hilton, etc.

Reactions: smd

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are so right, mmb. I was somewhere the other day (I get out so seldom that you'd think I'd remember where I was) and the combined scents of laundry detergent in an aisle was awful ... and I don't have a problem with "artificial scents", so it really was obtrusive. BUT, the scent of clean laundry cannot compare to a hotel room that smells like charcoal.