Embassy suites Hotel lies about smoking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 23, 2020
I recently checked in at the Embassy suites with my one year old son and his father. During check in they wanted $10 for incidentals. It says no smoking as most hotels do in 20/20 but nowhere does it say No Aromatherapy in room. I had candles and charcoal bath bomb. Long story short after I checked out they claimed to have found ashes in my room then when I told them what it was they said to call the Gm the next day. I called the next day and spoke with the front desk about why I was calling they then said the room smelled like smoke and they had to put it out of service after taking $100 from my card. I don’t see this as fair that they can just say they smell smoke and seen ashes after they’re story couldn’t be validated it’s not fair and they should update the policy’s as hard as times are right now no one deserves the lack of empathy these big chain businesses have for human beings. I know they may not be getting much business these days but it’s still ridiculous to lie to scam money off its guest.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I recently checked in at the Embassy suites with my one year old son and his father. During check in they wanted $10 for incidentals. It says no smoking as most hotels do in 20/20 but nowhere does it say No Aromatherapy in room. I had candles and charcoal bath bomb. Long story short after I checked out they claimed to have found ashes in my room then when I told them what it was they said to call the Gm the next day. I called the next day and spoke with the front desk about why I was calling they then said the room smelled like smoke and they had to put it out of service after taking $100 from my card. I don’t see this as fair that they can just say they smell smoke and seen ashes after they’re story couldn’t be validated it’s not fair and they should update the policy’s as hard as times are right now no one deserves the lack of empathy these big chain businesses have for human beings. I know they may not be getting much business these days but it’s still ridiculous to lie to scam money off its guest.
The basic problem is that you left a room with a noticeable odor (aroma) and the hotel would not be able to rent it again without cleaning.
Had I checked into that hotel and been given your room I would have refused it and demanded another room.
Whether it was cigarette smoke, aromatherapy, candle smoke, or other, your room was not usable.

Apr 23, 2020
The basic problem is that you left a room with a noticeable odor (aroma) and the hotel would not be able to rent it again without cleaning.
Had I checked into that hotel and been given your room I would have refused it and demanded another room.
Whether it was cigarette smoke, aromatherapy, candle smoke, or other, your room was not usable.
And that’s where the loophole is in the policy that does not state that whether you wanted another room or not that’s just like someone taking a shower and you leave the smell of body wash or body spray they have cleaning supplies to spray for odors

Apr 23, 2020
And that’s where the loophole is in the policy that does not state that whether you wanted another room or not that’s just like someone taking a shower and you leave the smell of body wash or body spray they have cleaning supplies to spray for odors
And the point of putting $10 for incidentals!

Jun 24, 2019
Calling Embassy Suites "liars" because they have not given you a lengthy disclosure specifying every separate activity which might generate a cleaning charge is not designed to get you the result you want. Saying that Embassy Suites "claimed" to find ashes in the room when you admit your burned candles is also designed to get people's backs up. There's no dispute you burned candles or used a charcoal bath bomb. Your dispute is whether those two activities left enough of an odor that the hotel could charge for a deeper cleaning.

Apr 10, 2017
There are many resources on this site about the most effective way to request a refund along with many examples of other readers' successes. Calling them 'liars' is not on the list. I f your goal was to vent, it's been accomplished.

Apr 23, 2020
Calling Embassy Suites "liars" because they have not given you a lengthy disclosure specifying every separate activity which might generate a cleaning charge is not designed to get you the result you want. Saying that Embassy Suites "claimed" to find ashes in the room when you admit your burned candles is also designed to get people's backs up. There's no dispute you burned candles or used a charcoal bath bomb. Your dispute is whether those two activities left enough of an odor that the hotel could charge for a deeper cleaning.
They are "Liars" because they switched the story up twice!! And 2nd I didn't leave any ashes in the bathroom and surely not where they stated they seen them. And when I called them out on that mistake they then switched the story to you could smell smoke that was so strong the odor was coming from the room. Hence you would of smelled the smell of the candle not smoke even after blowing it out from the night before its not like I blew it out and they walked right in the room the candle was used during my bath the night before I checked out. That morning was a regular shower then body spray candle was away that night.. So again they are liars and I stand on that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you want help - you won't get much by calling then liars. Your letter should be courteous if you want help. We have company contacts for Embassy Suites, which is a Hilton hotel:

This is how to write an effective complaint letter and get action:

If you would like help in drafting your letter, post your letter here with only facts and no name calling and we can help you with it so you have a better chance of winning.

May 30, 2019
And the point of putting $10 for incidentals!
If you paid with or presented a debit card at check-in, the $10 was like an upfront hold for potential charges. This is typical policy for Hilton properties, although most hotels will put a hold of $100 per night.

Apr 23, 2020
I get what you're saying im just mad and frustrated that they stretched the truth for their gain.
But I will try and go above the people at the front desk even reading up on the reviews people say the rooms smell of mildew. My only complaint about the rooms were the carpets are old and the furniture so if they say they replaced the carpet because of smoke I would like to see it. I have video of what the room looked like I want to know will money they are taking are they actually doing what they say.

May 30, 2019
My significant other is sensitive to smells. If we were to occupy the room the evening after the OP checked out, based on the OP's descriptions in post #1 & #9, she would have noticed the smell and we would have asked to be moved to a different room. That is, unless the hotel staff noticed it first and did a deep cleaning of the room. The need for such a deep cleaning would typically result in the prior occupant (e.g. the OP) being charged for removal. And it's quite possible that the candles, while not setting off a smoke detector, did some smoke damage; the ashes were noticed in the trash or the floor; etc.

And while using candles may not violate the letter of local law or hotel policy, I can't suggest it is aligned with the spirit of preventing fire hazards.

But this is a forum about self-advocacy and while I disagree with the OP's POV, I'm not here to accuse. What I would suggest to the OP is to write a carefully worded letter that includes mention of:
- Staying the night (reservation #, dates, etc.)
- Received a charge for damage
- Did not cause damage
- The charge for damage was inappropriate
- Request for documentation to prove their charge. If there isn't any proof, a request to reverse the charge

Do *not* mention attitude of management; make accusations; insult anyone; call anyone a liar; mention the $10 charge (See my Post #12 for why); admit that candles were used in the room.

I agree with @Neil Maley that people here could help edit the letter, so post a draft. Do not include any Personally Identifiable Information in a draft posted here.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How do I contact Hilton do I go to the website of the hilton hotel
On post #2, there are two links - one to our company contacts and the second on how to write. I would suggest posting your letter here first before you send anything to Hilton. You have to be very careful of the wording you use because you did use aromatherapy and the bath bombs so it needs to be gingerly worded.

Apr 23, 2020
I understand where you are coming from.. I used the candle in the tub with a glass of wine i left no ashes. And I see people all the time with candles on the floor for romance that is a fire hazard. What im saying is they saw no ashes and smelled no smoke from the night before and how was ashes by the window when I had none there maybe the tenants before me had ashes. Only possible thing they could of smelled was the body spray that I used that morning before I left. If that's the case they should say no sprays.

Apr 23, 2020
On post #2, there are two links - one to our company contacts and the second on how to write. I would suggest posting your letter here first before you send anything to Hilton. You have to be very careful of the wording you use because you did use aromatherapy and the bath bombs so it needs to be gingerly worded.
Ok so should I remake a new post because I cant seem to edit this one.