drop fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 13, 2018
THRIFTY $306.59 DROP FEE #H67519955E6. American Airlines WYNGHO changed my flight on Saturday afternoon 6/16 to a different departure from Wilmington, then to a different departure from Raleigh,then to 6/17 in 10+ emails.AA (never got name) said they would cover any car drop fee if there was one.I emailed AA and they replied NO. With the minimal time to make the changing flights, just getting to Raleigh on time was an issue.I contacted Thrifty and they told me they me because they are a franchised location (how would I know that in advance?) they have a one way drop fee=$306.59. As of today, I still do not have any paperwork on it other than seeing that separate charge on my credit card. Being advertised as a Thrifty rental at the airport, I believe they should have allowances with common airline schedule changes and other Thrifty locations.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Go to our company contacts on top of our pages. Read the lead page on how to write to Corporate and the start your writing campaign.

However, there are ALWAYS drop off fees when you pick up a car at one location and drop it at another. I hope you have the name of whoever told you they would cover it but be aware - many agents will tell you this just to get you out of their hair.

Let us know how you make out.

Reactions: jsn55

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
THRIFTY $306.59 DROP FEE #H67519955E6. American Airlines WYNGHO changed my flight on Saturday afternoon 6/16 to a different departure from Wilmington, then to a different departure from Raleigh,then to 6/17 in 10+ emails.AA (never got name) said they would cover any car drop fee if there was one.I emailed AA and they replied NO. With the minimal time to make the changing flights, just getting to Raleigh on time was an issue.I contacted Thrifty and they told me they me because they are a franchised location (how would I know that in advance?) they have a one way drop fee=$306.59. As of today, I still do not have any paperwork on it other than seeing that separate charge on my credit card. Being advertised as a Thrifty rental at the airport, I believe they should have allowances with common airline schedule changes and other Thrifty locations.
Thrifty (and other rental agencies) can have very high drop fees if you are going between two locations that have little/no rental car traffic between. They actually have to pay someone to drive the car back to the point of origin, and then return. If you rent and drop off at a common destination, the drop fee may be minimal, and I have occasionally had NO drop fee charged. Where did you pick up the car and where did you leave it?

Sep 19, 2015
But the rental car company may have had to pay someone to drive the car back to the original drop off and then return.

There are often drop off fees even when there is not a franchise issue.

I think it is unrealistic to think that the car rentals should be flexible with airline schedules and such. That is no way to manage a fleet of cars. What would you have thought if there was no car rental at pick up for you because the renter returned it to a different airport because of airline schedule change.

More importantly why did AA keep changing the flights and move you to an airport over 100 miles away?

Jul 13, 2018
But the rental car company may have had to pay someone to drive the car back to the original drop off and then return.

There are often drop off fees even when there is not a franchise issue.

I think it is unrealistic to think that the car rentals should be flexible with airline schedules and such. That is no way to manage a fleet of cars. What would you have thought if there was no car rental at pick up for you because the renter returned it to a different airport because of airline schedule change.

More importantly why did AA keep changing the flights and move you to an airport over 100 miles away?

Sep 19, 2015
Annc if you are happy then it is a good resolution and good job advocating for yourself. The airline caused this mess by moving your departure so far away. Thank you for the update.