• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Disney cruise credit after PIF due to representative misrepresentation?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
That can't be correct. The OP says she booked a Nov 2019 sailing while on board a previous sailing in 2018 - how could she have booked a "last-minute rate" one year in advance? Does "last-minute" not mean what I think it means?
I misread her post. If I follow the thread correctly since then, the question now is while she was "onboard" the one they took (no date given), did she book another "military rate" or just the regular advance rate available at that time. And that would be for comparison purposes only (i.e., is she now comparing a military-to-military fare, or an advance-to-military fare).

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I misread her post. If I follow the thread correctly since then, the question now is while she was "onboard" the one they took (no date given), did she book another "military rate" or just the regular advance rate available at that time. And that would be for comparison purposes only (i.e., is she now comparing a military-to-military fare, or an advance-to-military fare).
My understanding is the comparison is the fare anyone on the 2018 sailing could have booked while on board and a last minute military discount on new bookings only.

(I say while on board as I don't know if Disney offers discounts or anything for booking on board)

Reactions: VoR61
Dec 27, 2014
NoVA
That can't be correct. The OP says she booked a Nov 2019 sailing while on board a previous sailing in 2018 - how could she have booked a "last-minute rate" one year in advance? Does "last-minute" not mean what I think it means?
On Disney, you can "reserve" a spot on a future cruise without picking a specific one. They give you 12-months to commit and your "deposit" is applied to that booking. That might be what happened with this, in addition to the military rates.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is something we do for all our cruise clients that everyone should do before final payment- while we monitor new sales once they book to see if any aply, we always check pricing before we make final payment to see if there have been any price reductions that we can get applied. Because final payment has not been made, a cruise can be rebooked to take advantage of the new pricing if you do it before the final payment.

It's rare that it happens, but it's a nice surprise if we do find the price has dropped. Anyone can do this.

Sep 6, 2019
Im sorry, I didnt realize there were more replies or I wouldve responded.

Yes you have all the correct information. JustLisa explained it beautifully. The phone agent stated she believed the onboard salesman fully believed it when he stated the cruise will only increase in price never decrease becaus3 she states onboard agents do not have access to igt or military rates ever so he would not know of any chances of reduced fares or sales. While I in hindsight I understand this, I still believe there is major fault in Disney representing a rush to purchase hype with innacurate statements. Granted I am far more knowledgable in the rates, room, and timeframes for cruising disney in particular right now than I was when sold last october 2018, but that agent was a disney and i imagine there was some level of training. Saying hypothetically in hindsight that he "didnt know" doesnt help me. Yes, I understand that my error in listening to the 1 disney available expert of cruise booking to me at the time of booking sounds naive on my part, but understand that onboard you dont have access to research or doublechecking and you take their expertise at face value. This wont be something I get caught up in again because now I know what Im purchasing if I so choose. Ive dealt with Disney resorts and parks for years and havent had any such problems and have dealt with their knowledgablr employees. I assumed as a brand there was the same level of expertise across such customer immersive positions.
As I understand it, the agent who offered the 150 said that she would still forward it on to leadership. So Im going to accept that 150 and attempt 1 mailed not emailed letter detailing all to the primary contact listed through this site and see if they are able or willing to make the full adjustment.
Thank you all for your continued advice in this matter.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Thank you for clarifying. It is important because your chances change if this was a $xxx price for military when you booked and a $xxx - yyy price now for the same rate. But you are saying it is not. Best wishes with your request . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have nothing to lose by going up the executive chain and asking for more. The worst that can happen is they all say no but we have seen well written letters get results. So by all means- write to the Executives one at a time.

Sep 6, 2019
Hello, I cruise tomorrow. I did send an email to the dcl vp abd after several weeks wass called back today.
They issued me an additional 50.00 towards the stateroom in onboard credit. It still by no means equates to the difference in fare but it helps soften the sting. In total i received 200 onboard credit to attempt to make up the 330 difference.
Disney believes the difference to be only minimal because as their agent stated today, i received a 100 onboard credit from booking via advance sales- the department that misrepresented them in the first place. I would argue that had I not booked via advance sales and received the onboard credit that i would hace received the full onboard credit from my travel agent instead of half and it wouldve been a wash.
Either way, while not wholly happy with the outcome, i am satisfied.
Thank you to everyone here at the forums who assisted me!

Reactions: Skippy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, this happens with all cruise lines. None of them offer refunds if the price drops after final payment. The cruise lines reduce prices just to sell unsold cabins. Your other option is to cancel your booking, pay whatever cancellation penalty you are in and rebook at the lower price. That would negate the lower price.

They also don’t increase your prices when the cruise prices go up after you book and more often than not, prices go up if you book early.

Whenever you book a cruise, always check the current price before you make your final payment. If it’s less call and ask for the reduction. Once you make final payment- stop looking.

This is no different than booking a plane ticket - if prices go down after you book, with the exception of Southwest, almost all will laud you cancel your ticket, pay a cancellation fee and buy a new ticket at the lower price. The cancellation fee alone makes most price reductions not worth doing.

Reactions: VoR61 and justlisa