DISH TV PROBLEMS

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 11, 2020
Almost a year ago, I changed from Directv to Dish. Directv dropped our local channels and for months would not give me a break on my bill. So I changed to DISH and was PROMISED Dish would never drop my locals. In a few days, Dish IS going to drop our local channels. We depend on our local channels for news and especially weather. I only watch local channels and the sports channels. This is so ridiculous and so unfair to us elderly folks who enjoy our local channels!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is this a temporary problem or permanent? We have cable and every year or so this happens because they have to renegotiate contracts with the tv stations and no one wants to give in on lowering prices. Eventually they get it straightened out but last year my daughter had no ABC for almost a month because the negotiations stretched out.

I subscribe to Hulu and watch my local stations on the internet.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Neil and will add that you should install an indoor antenna. We experience the usual weather-related outages and the antenna is a good backup to have. Same for the temporary dropping of local channels.
We tried an indoor antenna and it didn’t work at all. But Hulu has been the answer. We only use the full Hulu access when we are in Florida for local channels and when we head north, we go back to the basic package.

Reactions: Pixie Pie and VoR61
Sep 9, 2018
I agree with Neil and will add that you should install an indoor antenna. We experience the usual weather-related outages and the antenna is a good backup to have. Same for the temporary dropping of local channels.
Depending on where you live, the indoor antenna can be a lifesaver! I was paying a ton for Hulu Live, but tolerated it because it was way less than cable. They increased their prices 20% in December without adding any additional services, so that's when I dropped down to Hulu Basic ($5.99 a month vs. $54.99 month) and added a $20 antenna from Amazon.

I get CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC from the antenna and have never had a problem....and most of them are viewable in HD!

Like the elderly, us single Moms are on a budget, too.....and we also like our local channels! ;)

IMO, if it's feasible for the OP, $20 is a small price to pay to "cut the cable cord" and give the antenna a shot. :)

Jan 11, 2020
I hope DISH’s taking local channels from us is temporary, but it was more there 6 months when DTV finally returned locals to us. I hate DISH is doing this to us now. We are too old to set up new way of watching locals. My 89 yr old mom still hasn’t learned how to work the DISH remote! We are devastated!

Jan 11, 2019
This is not Dish or Directv blocking channels. Fox is blocking a lot of channels in over 23 states because they are demanding a rate increase in the double digits, 62%. Fox cares more about its bottom line than consumers. So write to Fox and demand answers. Don't just blame your satellite provider.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is not Dish or Directv blocking channels. Fox is blocking a lot of channels in over 23 states because they are demanding a rate increase in the double digits, 62%. Fox cares more about its bottom line than consumers. So write to Fox and demand answers. Don't just blame your satellite provider.
And it’s not just Fox- ABC and CBS have done it as well. Flood the inbox of the tv stations that are doing this.

Reactions: JMLamb and VoR61

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I hope DISH’s taking local channels from us is temporary, but it was more there 6 months when DTV finally returned locals to us. I hate DISH is doing this to us now. We are too old to set up new way of watching locals. My 89 yr old mom still hasn’t learned how to work the DISH remote! We are devastated!
Depending on the level of functionality she requires, one solution that might work for your mom is a universal remote with large buttons. The DISH remote is loaded with buttons that she likely does not need and she may find a "generic" universal remote to fit her better . . .

Reactions: jsn55 and Pixie Pie

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Depending on the level of functionality she requires, one solution that might work for your mom is a universal remote with large buttons. The DISH remote is loaded with buttons that she likely does not need and she may find a "generic" universal remote to fit her better . . .
Super idea! Find a teenager who will spend a few minutes with you, your mom and the new remote. Well worth a pan of brownies, a $10 bill or both. Thank you for posting this, mgoodwin, I live out in the boonies with a DISH satellite, and the remote is so nutso that my husband is not allowed to touch it. It's ALWAYS good to learn about this stuff.