Discrimination on Military discount at Lowe's Home Improvement stores

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
"Once the service member signs up for the discount program on Lowes.com, it will be linked to a MyLowe’s card that may also be used by immediate family." Did your husband receive a card like this? My reading is that the discount would only apply if the spouse/dependent had the card in hand. If it's not working like this, I agree with you ... there's no excuse for dissing our military people by offering a discount and not honoring it. I'm sure that is not Lowe's stance on the subject.

Sep 19, 2015
From what I read here it seems that not all Lowes stores use the same policy. I am married to a retired Marine. I've never used his surname, nor he mine. I have a military dependent ID card and I am in the DEERS system. All I've ever needed to claim the 10% discount on most items here in Alaska is my DoD dependent ID. Same policy at Home Depot, by the way. The DoD knows we have different surnames -- lots of couple do. Obviously I had to show a marriage license in order to obtain my dependent ID in the first place, and to sign up for Tricare via DEERS, etc. Maybe it's just this way in AK because we have the highest percentage of retired military of any state? BTW as someone with a law and government background, I do think the case could be made that a private company that gives discounts to couples with the same surname but not those with different surnames is violating state and federal discrimination laws. Most if not all couples with different surnames involve either women like me who wanted to maintain their identity regardless of their married status, just as men do, or same-sex couples. Regardless of Lowes' intent, the actual effect of their policy is to deny the discount to at least one member of all couples that include uppity women and/or same sex partners. A policy that pretty much NEVER harms straight men with but foreseeably often harms women and/or those who identify as LGBTQ is discriminatory on its face. It's also a policy that demonstrates ignorance of the fact that the "tradition" of women taking husband's surnames is not universal in many cultures, and is just a recent development even in many Western countries (e.g. Scandanavian countries). About what I'd expect, though, for a corporation HQed in the Southeast USA, that told my local store it wasn't allowed to have any lights on in the "garden" area, where it was selling Christmas trees, between 7 AM and 6 PM. It is pitch dark here in December from 3:30 PM until 10:30 the next day, and pretty dim even at high noon (1 PM) due to the fact the sun never gets more than 4 degrees above the horizon. Most of us aren't good at picking out a tree by touch and smell alone!
There are women who serve in the military and keep their names and marry non military. If you look at post #30 there is a reason why, and it seems that the company is trying to get a system in place that is inclusive to all.

People abusing the system is what has prompted the crack down and the default was to the most traditional way of identifying a spouse.

Hopefully the system will be in place soon. But claiming discrimination -- different surnames is not a protected class. Why should military get a discount and not law enforcement or CIA? Is that discrimination? Maybe Home Depot should do away with the discount all together -- that solve the problem and save them from claims of discrimination.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
There are women who serve in the military and keep their names and marry non military. If you look at post #30 there is a reason why, and it seems that the company is trying to get a system in place that is inclusive to all.

People abusing the system is what has prompted the crack down and the default was to the most traditional way of identifying a spouse.

Hopefully the system will be in place soon. But claiming discrimination -- different surnames is not a protected class. Why should military get a discount and not law enforcement or CIA? Is that discrimination? Maybe Home Depot should do away with the discount all together -- that solve the problem and save them from claims of discrimination.
I never liked the title of this post. From a legal perspective, there are surprisingly few forms of discrimination and a retail establishment's refusal to honor an affinity discount because two spouses have different surnames isn't one of them.

Sadly, I get the impression that these discounts are headed in the direction of the L.L. Bean lifetime warranty. Rampant misuse led to its demise.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
My husband is retired Air Force. When we go to Lowe's we give our phone number that we registered under the military discount program last year, as required. Period. It comes up as a verified military discount. We get it. Period. Not sure what the issue is here. They stopped using ID cards at the register a year or 2 ago and you had to register your phone number and some other information, but I, my sons etc... simply give the phone registered to my husband's veteran account and we get the discount. My daughter, a Marine, is married to a woman and gets her discount at her Lowe's in NC and so does her spouse with no issues using the same program. Something weird is going on with this story.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Oct 23, 2019
Trust me I have contacted customer service 4 times. They told me the same thing. The last names to not have to be the same. But unfortunately Lowe's does not cover their employee on this. And according to the memo that the local redneck Lowe's has posted, they do... If I go to a different Lowe's the situation will have a different in interpretation.. Different supervisors have different stories. Should be uniformed across the board and at all locations. Don't you think??
None of the Lowes in my area will accept a spouse ID with a different last name despite the Veteran being in the system. Addresses do not appear on what the cashier can see only the name. Seems kind of stupid that I can be a father, brother, sister, mother whatever as long as the last name is the same but as a legally married spouse with non-matching last name - NO DISCOUNT!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
None of the Lowes in my area will accept a spouse ID with a different last name despite the Veteran being in the system. Addresses do not appear on what the cashier can see only the name. Seems kind of stupid that I can be a father, brother, sister, mother whatever as long as the last name is the same but as a legally married spouse with non-matching last name - NO DISCOUNT!
Is your phone number registered with Lowe’s?

Reactions: VoR61

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
They don't accept IDs for the discount AT ALL. They discontinued accepting military IDs a while ago. You have to register a phone number and verify it in their system. Once that is done, you give the number at the register and nobody shows an ID anymore so there is no ID, no last name, etc.. your story makes no sense.

Aug 30, 2015
I am not sure it is stupid corporate thinking -- there are people that misuse discounts -- and certainly people who claim to be vets when they are not.
Yes people with the same last name can game the system, but how many more would if all it took was someone to day "My spouse is a vet" and "borrow" the name of another. How do you propose that someone prove that they are the spouse of a vet? Marriage certificate? Notarized statement?
The problem is too many dishonest people gaming the system -- if people would be honest there would be no such problems.
Spouse of a vet would have a military IT also...

Status
Not open for further replies.